1st motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’m looking to buy a secondhand motorhome,and I’m looking at a swift bolero 680fb in the morning(which I’ll probably buy).2009. I’m wondering if there’s a place to buy accessories and replacement parts to maybe freshen and update a bit,also maybe reverse camera which isn’t factory fitted(would cable for this be installed at time of manufacture? )
My name is Mark and I’m a first timer,but I reckon it’s something I’ll stick with.
Thanks

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Hello Mark, congratulations on your prospective purchase but please don't get too excited before you see the van. Its very easy to get carried away and also easy to be disappointed. We bought our van privately and looked at several before deciding which one to go for, and have never regretted the purchase. I'm sure you're aware of all the pre purchase checks that are recommended to avoid costly mistakes.

There are plenty of dealer showrooms full of accessories as well as online stores. The usual advice is to only buy what you really need and then add and change things later as you discover how you use your van.

Good luck tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
also maybe reverse camera which isn’t factory fitted

Have a trip out first and find out what you really need -- not what you think you want
Mine is an aftermarket camera fitted in 2012. I've just replaced the two camera - these simply plugged into the existing wiring.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Welcome to Fun! Can’t answer your question,but my only advice is don’t rush into buying. There’s a free buyers guide on here that’s good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
Buying a motorhome for the first time is exciting. Thoughts of weekends and holidays in the sun can be enticing but don't let this hurry you into a rash decision.

Did you know that you can find out the results of previous MOTs, including advisories, on any vehicle by going to this web site: -
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle. You will need the vehicle registration mark.

Hopefully, all will be well and we will look forward to hearing all about your first trip away.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Before you buy take off the rose coloured glasses and have a really good look at it. It should still have its water ingress waranty if they kept it up to date. So make sure all the paperwork is there. Next is Damp. Check everywhere with a meter. If you don’t feel confident get an independent to check it over. Some of the Swifts leak and others have had problems with floors. They are not one of the better built MH’s. There is a lot of choice out there so don’t jump at the first one you see. You should also take it for a decent drive. Parts are available for Swifts BUT simple bits of plastic can cost an arm and a leg and take months to arrive.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
:welcome4:

Hi @mark49 . We bought that exact model (2007 reg) 9 years ago and have been totally happy with it - nearly changed it last year but the intended replacement fell down on one critical element. So we bought a new mattress and had a full upholstery replacement to give it a new lease of life. Despite regular visits to shows we've never seen anything else that would suit us.

Happy to say we have had no major problems, although as a vehicle gets older you can expect little faults to appear - we've got 100,000 miles on it and have used it for 963 nights, so it's not sat still for very long. We've been all over the UK, Europe from Norway to Spain and also Morocco. We have a full habitation and vehicle service carried out every year (by Dave Newell) which I think is important. I do regular inspections myself so that I spotted a leaking roof-light and had it repaired before it could do any damage. We did have an episode of engine problems which turned out to be the throttle body - a regular problem on the Ducato X250 2.3 motor - but replacement solved it. The Bolero was not prone to water ingress or floor rotting - that problem had been found and redesigned out before they were built.

Other Bolero owners seem to have been equally pleased, bearing in mind they don't feature ion these pages very often. But as Qfour says, any motorhome 9/10 years old needs to be inspected properly, preferably by someone who knows what they're about and so maybe not an AA/RAC inspector.

The Bolero is fitted with a reversing camera I believe as standard, it's mounted within a housing by the upper central brake light. This housing makes it awkward to replace with, say, a two-view camera (I've tried). As regards spares and replacements, apart from a broken window (long story) I haven't had the need, but anyway you can only deal with them through an approved Swift dealer. Expensive? Well ALL motorhome spares are expensive, mostly due to the low production runs, but asking on here will usually come up trumps.

Go have a look. Do make sure that everything is demonstrated as working and in full order. A service history is a must as is evidence of regular habitation checks - don't be afraid to ask to see them. Be wary of extras, such as towbar, solar panels, satellite dish, that may have been added. Although nice to have they quickly eat into the payload. I had to have the weight upgraded in order to be able to carry the wife! Apart from that there is nothing specific to this model that you need to look out for.

If you need any more help just ask.

Terry

Edit - you don't say where you are or someone might be close by and could have a look with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you read Jim's "Buyer's guide"? Suggest you do so before you go anywhere near a MH and do NOT buy without doing a lot of research beforehand and checking as per the above posts ...

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
I,ve a Dethleffs 7014 up for sale next week, chec classifieds for details, viewing from early July.

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I’m looking to buy a secondhand motorhome,and I’m looking at a swift bolero 680fb in the morning(which I’ll probably buy)
Interested to know, Mark, did you buy it?

Upvote 0

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Welcome indeed and Minxy girl gives good advice too, read a guide, think about what it is you want. You could always buy a new or fairly new van, loads of them in large sale sites with 2 years still eft on warranty. Then convert yourself with a van, you won't get any leaks
Think it through, furniture is very easily made from lightweight ply, fit a permanent full size double bed lengthways = no jigsawing with uncomfortable cushions and everything built for what you need not what someone thought you might like = half the cupboard space, very simple electrics, better storage and half the weight = more mpg = less polluting.

Just thought I'd give you another option to consider.

What ever you decide welcome and good luck :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark49
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Thanks very much to all for reply’s and suggestions etc. Much appreciated.
I did buy the MH at the weekend. To me, it seems vg condition inside and out. 24k miles. Couple o faults I’ve ordered parts for already, which I can see from this forum are common faults, new internal cartridge for sink tap and runner at head of main door,rusty n plastics broke(that’ll not last long I’m sure).
Our plans are to do a few years starting next April around Europe, so I’ve a bit of time to learn how to use it and ask a lot o questions.
I’m from Newcastle area.
Thanks again to all.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi again Mark, hope you will be very happy with your purchase - we certainly are. As I said there's bound to be a few things needing attention (I'm just about to start on the current list on ours) but hopefully nothing serious.

We're Newcastle upon Tyne so if you need any help be happy to see if I can do anything.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We are newbies to motorhome ownership, having recently (6 weeks ago) purchased a 2016 Adria M 670 SL silver edition, perfect for what we require. We can't wait to head off across the channel in August. Any advice on where to obtain details on the best route down through France into Italy and should time permit Spain. also any tips on electric cycles would also be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

TonyandSharon

Free Member
Nov 8, 2016
Northants
Funster No
MH
Hire(JustGo) & assessing
Exp
Newbie (Caravan & Moho hires)
Have you considered buying abroad from somewhere like Carrefour's?
We saw some "citybikes" during May whilst in Brugge store that could be ordered/delivered, about €650 each. Will see if I've got the advert to post here.
Cheers.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thanks very much to all for reply’s and suggestions etc. Much appreciated.
I did buy the MH at the weekend. To me, it seems vg condition inside and out. 24k miles. Couple o faults I’ve ordered parts for already, which I can see from this forum are common faults, new internal cartridge for sink tap and runner at head of main door,rusty n plastics broke(that’ll not last long I’m sure).
Our plans are to do a few years starting next April around Europe, so I’ve a bit of time to learn how to use it and ask a lot o questions.
I’m from Newcastle area.
Thanks again to all.
Legally you can't do a few years around Europe you'll need to return once a year for an mot

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Legally you can't do a few years around Europe you'll need to return once a year for an mot
... the UK is in Europe too .... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We are newbies to motorhome ownership, having recently (6 weeks ago) purchased a 2016 Adria M 670 SL silver edition, perfect for what we require. We can't wait to head off across the channel in August. Any advice on where to obtain details on the best route down through France into Italy and should time permit Spain. also any tips on electric cycles would also be greatly appreciated.

Lots and lots and lots of info on your questions - too much to reply in one go. There are sections covering your questions; go to the forums page and scroll down to find a section that interests you e.g. Touring/France or Electric Bikes. It's all there with a bit of research and you can then ask more directly for detailed answers rather than this particular thread. Use the "Search" facility.

As first touring advice - don't try to do too much. Driving down through France is quite an undertaking on it's own as a first trip. Adding Italy and Spain is really too much unless you've got oodles of time, otherwise all you'll see is tarmac and road signs. Do a little bit at a time, and expand your horizons gradually - there's an awful lot to see and do.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back