12v socket pain (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Is it just me or have others had trouble with those CBE/C-Line-style 12v sockets? After numerous blown fuses, I decided to carefully examine the design: it appears to differ fundamentally from the 12v sockets found in the base vehicle cab or in a car. The positive and negative contacts seem way too close for comfort and easily shorted by certain plugs during plugging or unplugging. This is not helped by a wide variation in the physical design of the 12v plugs, so some are more likely to cause a short-circuit than others and some don't even stay plugged in.

I assume there are multiple manufacturers of these types of socket -- I don't know if they are all as troublesome. In the end I gave up on mine and made my own replacement by taking a C-Line blanking plate and drilling a hole in it to take a standard 12v vehicle socket (after checking there was enough clearance behind the existing socket).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can't understand why folks still fit this unreliable type 12v socket.
DIN/HELLA sockets are infinitely more reliable and lock secure...and they're rated at 16amps.
Easy to cut off the old cig plug from appliances and fit DIN/HELLA plugs.
You don't even need a soldering iron.

OP
OP
MyrtleGuru
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
DIN/HELLA sockets are infinitely more reliable and lock secure...and they're rated at 16amps.
The DIN/Hella looks like a far superior technical design. A shame they did not catch on and the majority went for the inferior sort. It's a bit like Betamax vs VHS, wasn't Betamax supposed to be better? The problem is most 12v stuff is made for the majority so doesn't use Hella and, while you can change the plug if it has a lead, some of the stuff I have has the plug moulded into the body of the device (USB chargers, mozzie coil, etc.), so needed to go with the majority unfortunately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉

IMG_4335.jpg
Would the above be suitable for an Endless Breeze fan 36w input?

The existing fan cigarette plug has an inbuilt 4amp fuse.
So perhaps a daft question but this socket will only be used for the fan should I fuse it at 4amp at the leisure battery or higher with an inline fuse at the fan end.
Thanks.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 185419
Would the above be suitable for an Endless Breeze fan 36w input?

The existing fan cigarette plug has an inbuilt 4amp fuse.
So perhaps a daft question but this socket will only be used for the fan should I fuse it at 4amp at the leisure battery or higher with an inline fuse at the fan end.
Thanks.
Fuse it at the battery end to suit the wiring from there to the socket and leave the 4A fuse in place to look after the fan & its flex.

Incidentally (and not aimed at you specifically) there is a type of Hella-style plug that is compatible with both Hella and cig lighter sockets which is of use if you have both types of socket. One like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12mm-Ciga...607822&hash=item58dd831c51:g:IUMAAOSwF1dUTqPn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Rapido has the Hella socket (Originally only 1 but I have fitted others)

A problem I have found is if they are left plugged in for a long period (many months/years) the plug seems to corrode, I don't know if this an electrolytic thing but I have had to replace a couple of plugs. It only seems to be the plug that corrodes and its the negative pole only. It doesn't happen if they are left unplugged.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My Rapido has the Hella socket (Originally only 1 but I have fitted others)

A problem I have found is if they are left plugged in for a long period (many months/years) the plug seems to corrode, I don't know if this an electrolytic thing but I have had to replace a couple of plugs. It only seems to be the plug that corrodes and its the negative pole only. It doesn't happen if they are left unplugged.
That will happen with any of them but noticeable on the Hella because of the normal close fit. A spray of contact cleaner will prevent it.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There used to be a common problem in the R/C model world where leaving things plugged into a DC supply, led to a phenomenom known as "black lead" where the negative wire or lead would turn black and start to corrode, causing supply problems, usually affecting the current carrying capability.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back