12v Socket Not Powering TV: Troubleshooting Tips (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
My 12v socket in the hab area does not power up the TV. You see the blue light flicker for a second on the TV but does not power up.

I have a Ring 2 way adapter with the power lights on it, red,red,amber,green. When I plug this into the socket it sometimes shows green or Amber but when I plug anything into it it goes to red.
I can plug my 12v phone charger directly into the hab socket and it will charge the phone.

Seems like it is hasn't enough power to power the TV from it? I can plug the 12v TV into the bedroom socket and this works no problem.

Any ideas?

TA Steve

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Possibly a bad connection and dropping voltage when under load. Check the spade connections on the rear of the socket

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Take it out and fit a DIN socket.
Easy to fit as are suitable plugs.
A hundred times more reliable than a standard 12v fag socket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
John means a Hella socket.

You need to check the voltage at the socket and see if it drops when you turn the TV on, if it does you need to check all the connection and also if the size of the cable is suitable the current and length of cable.

OP
OP
Moto GBR
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van

You need to check the voltage at the socket and see if it drops when you turn the TV on, if it does you need to check all the connection and also if the size of the cable is suitable the current and length of cable.
It used to work fine working off the socket. Not sure why it is not powering the TV? Or Ring adapter? Seems like its not getting enough power to it???

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My 12v socket in the hab area does not power up the TV. You see the blue light flicker for a second on the TV but does not power up.

I have a Ring 2 way adapter with the power lights on it, red,red,amber,green. When I plug this into the socket it sometimes shows green or Amber but when I plug anything into it it goes to red.
I can plug my 12v phone charger directly into the hab socket and it will charge the phone.

Seems like it is hasn't enough power to power the TV from it? I can plug the 12v TV into the bedroom socket and this works no problem.

Any ideas?

TA Steve
Does the centre pin get warm when you've been trying to use the TV? Sounds like a bad connection and it's usually the middle pin.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Both names apply Lenny.

Screenshot_20240321-211748.png

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
There are a huge number of differing DIN plugs. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 pin that I know of all in screw lock, bayonet locks, and no lock varieties. Once very popular with domestic sound equipment, they have largely fallen out of favour in the electronics and entertainment worlds as they are not particularly robust albeit that metal versions were available. So, to be fair to all parties, the Hella style DIN standard power socket is just one of many so going to a supplier and asking for a DIN socket should trigger a lot of follow-up questions. The XLR connector (AKA as Cannon Connector) is a much more robust connector and used extensively in industry.

OP
OP
Moto GBR
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
Plugged TV in this morning and all working as though nothings the matter?
Never done anything to it apart from plug it in?
Not sure if it will last?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
DIN is the German standards organisation, equivalent of our BSi.

Presumably all these different DIN sockets and plugs comply with various different DIN standards, and have just been called DIN in the relevant industry.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
DIN is the German standards organisation
Lenny HB said this near the beginning of the thread. Under the even newer ISO standards the same plug is ISO 1465. There is probably also a NATO number for the same part. It's still generally known as the 'Hella plug' though even though Hella makes a number of different connectors to the agreed standards. .

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Apologies to the OP if this is a hijack, but what kind of connector would people recommend for handling up to 15A 12dc where the connector is safe from being shorted when disconnected? I'm thinking of putting in such a connection for charging a lithium power pack cos I don't trust the existing wiring and cigarette lighter type sockets in my van.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Personally I would go with the Neutrik 'Powercon True 1'. Designed to be disconnected when 'hot'. Note the standard Powercon is not thus designed. It handles 16A and is IP65.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Cut your 12v TV plug off. I have seen two where the solder on one wire inside was pitiful. New plug and the TV worked perfectly.

Jul 26, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Owned AutoTrail Navajo from March 2013 until replaced with current van in 2020
Personally I would go with the Neutrik 'Powercon True 1'. Designed to be disconnected when 'hot'. Note the standard Powercon is not thus designed. It handles 16A and is IP65.
Although they are intended for AC (unless my Google didn't find a DC version) - I wondered if they might not like breaking 16A DC...

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Although they are intended for AC (unless my Google didn't find a DC version) - I wondered if they might not like breaking 16A DC...
You could be right. The spec sheet doesn't say. I have used one on 48v DC for a low current application (phantom power), but this is for disconnecting batteries from a charger so thinking about it, where does the 15A figure come from? Scrap that idea.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
You could be right. The spec sheet doesn't say. I have used one on 48v DC for a low current application (phantom power), but this is for disconnecting batteries from a charger so thinking about it, where does the 15A figure come from? Scrap that idea.
The 15A figure for me came from wanting to be comfortably able to handle 10A supply to a power pack. My Globecar 12V sockets are have 6A and 8A printed on them, and they are protected by a single 10A fuse! (to be looked at under warranty)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back