jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
Hi guys. Can anyone help me to understand elastic trickery a bit. I've been looking at a solar generator. Bluetti AC200. They can do something call pass through charging. Ie on 240v hookup it can run my fridge while it's charging. Great... But the only problem is I can't hook up an in car b2b to it because it needs a 36v input to charge from dc. So my other option because id like to use a b2b charger is a stand alone lifepo4 battery but as I understand it that can't be charged and discharged at the same time. Is that right? Ta

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Surely thats just a battery in a box !!! (y)

Ref the fridge, if your on hook up then your fridge would work anyway..

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
It's much more than a battery in a box and my fridge is 12v

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
Bit more info guys so no assumptions. This is not a factory made campervan. Nothing is hard wired. No camper fittings at all. It's all lift in lift out stuff

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Are you saying you canā€™t charge and use a lithium battery at the same time?
You can defo do that itā€™s the same as filling your water tank and running the bath at home.
It would probably take more charge than you would likely pull power from it

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Better off with the LiFePO4 option in my book, the Bluetti AC200 will just be some cheaper and less stable type of lithium battery.

If you want to use 12v power from the battery while its charging you are not actually discharging it until the amps you require is greater than the amps that the charger can supply, in other words you pull the power from the charging source before the battery takes it, if you require more amps that the charger can make then the battery has to go into discharge and support the charger supply.

Martin

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
Are you saying you canā€™t charge and use a lithium battery at the same time?
You can defo do that itā€™s the same as filling your water tank and running the bath at home.
It would probably take more charge than you would likely pull power from it
No I was asking? I can't get my head around the charger being on the terminals and the fridge being on the same terminals. Surely it would try to take power straight from the charger? How are they separated?

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
Better off with the LiFePO4 option in my book, the Bluetti AC200 will just be some cheaper and less stable type of lithium battery.

If you want to use 12v power from the battery while its charging you are not actually discharging it until the amps you require is greater than the amps that the charger can supply, in other words you pull the power from the charging source before the battery takes it, if you require more amps that the charger can make then the battery has to go into discharge and support the charger supply.

Martin
So if I have a b2b connected to the battery putting 30 amps into it I can have my fridge connected to the same terminals while it's doing that? My fridge connects via a female cig plug with 2 Croc clips.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So if I have a b2b connected to the battery putting 30 amps into it I can have my fridge connected to the same terminals while it's doing that? My fridge connects via a female cig plug with 2 Croc clips.
I would have thought in reality you would have +ve and -ve bus bars connected to your battery and then fused connection from the bus bar but that basically the same anyway so "Yes" but if your B2B is limited to 30 amps your battery will only get 30amps less whatever the fridge takes.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I would have thought in reality you would have +ve and -ve bus bars connected to your battery and then fused connection from the bus bar but that basically the same anyway so "Yes" but if your B2B is limited to 30 amps your battery will only get 30amps less whatever the fridge takes.
Brilliant. Ta muchly šŸ˜Š one more ask if it's OK? I want to connect it to a microwave occasionally via an inverter. I understand I have to be a bit careful about checking c rates on the battery for input and output. Something to do with avoiding a crap BMS. Is 100ah constant output suited to that?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That will come down to the battery spec, for example we have Super-B Nomia 160ah LiFePO4 rated at 480amps continuous discharge, I wouldn't want to but that's what the spec says and we have two anyway ;)

M

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
That will come down to the battery spec, for example we have Super-B Nomia 160ah LiFePO4 rated at 480amps continuous discharge, I wouldn't want to but that's what the spec says and we have two anyway ;)

You see how this thing has 2 neg and 2 pos poles but a separate plug for charging.. The reason I'm looking at stuff like this is my camper is a part time build. Everything is designed to lift out quickly. The only thing that will be hard wired will be the b2b. Seeing as I have no idea about electricity I'm worried about buying wrong. For example those twin poles are they output only? Best to fit one of those 3 pin plugs to the b2b output. Hehe, probably very simple but I'm very wary of electrics
870419360-918483806.jpg

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
See how that has twin outputs and a 3 pin input. So I would have to create that 3 pin on the b2b output I'm guessing

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
See how that has twin outputs and a 3 pin input. So I would have to create that 3 pin on the b2b output I'm guessing
Not sure that is a 30amp socket though, I would want to be going straight to some bus bar/terminal. Is that the battery or just a box? I thought it was going to be a toaster when I scrolled down ;)

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
Not sure that is a 30amp socket though, I would want to be going straight to some bus bar/terminal. Is that the battery or just a box? I thought it was going to be a toaster when I scrolled down ;)
I'm going to buy a standalone battery. Build a box. Fit the outputs i want to the box then get an auto electrician to wire it all up. I can't get my head round electricity šŸ˜‚ i cant see it. I dont know what it gets up to and i cant understand the words that are used to talk about it. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back