12v heater while travelling. (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Been driving through France and Spain the last couple of days and now I've got the temperature logger in the fridge and another in the condenser fins I can see exactly what happens..

We set off at 12 noon today and the condenser drops to ambient virtually straight away, stopped at 9pm and switched to gas, the sensor is on the left but the wind blast must affect the heater too...
Condenser log:
Screenshot_20210903-223133_Sensor Blue.jpg

The internal temperature suffers too:
Screenshot_20210903-223149_Sensor Blue.jpg

The evap still frosts but it must just be at something like -2° instead of -8°
The 12v element is 120w
The 230v element is 125w

Wonder if it would perform better with the bottom cover on while driving 🤔
Or even both 😳

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Please try with the covers on and report back. :)

I haven’t got a data logger and find when on 12v and not moving it’s ice cold, however when driving the fridge seems to warm up. I have long suspected it’s the air flow due to driving.

So thanks for the info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Please try with the covers on and report back. :)

I haven’t got a data logger and find when on 12v and not moving it’s ice cold, however when driving the fridge seems to warm up. I have long suspected it’s the air flow due to driving.

So thanks for the info.
Yes will see if I can rig something up, the proper cover is at home but I suppose anything will do 👍

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Have you checked that you are getting a good feed and earth at the 12v fridge element. Some vans have very poor spec wiring. Your element is drawing about 10 amps, so a good supply is essential.

Geoff

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Have you checked that you are getting a good feed and earth at the 12v fridge element. Some vans have very poor spec wiring. Your element is drawing about 10 amps, so a good supply is essential.

Geoff
Good point, that needs checking. I've got the clamp meter with me 😎👌

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well that made sod all difference, guess what time we set off 😏

Screenshot_20210905-190947_Sensor Blue.jpg

I only blocked of the lower vent though. I'll block ¾ of the top vent off for the next journey, I'll leave the fans on so it can't overheat. In Benidorm now so not moving anywhere for a few weeks.

Internal temp:
Screenshot_20210905-191351_Sensor Blue.jpg

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I see you have a reading for Humidity available as well as temp?

Something that I have found from the temp data loggers in my Freezer and Fridge is the humidity rises virtually instantly as soon as energy (be it 12V power, 240V power or Gas) is removed from the fridge - and then drops as soon as energy restored.
Have a look at the humidity info and that will give you much better info on how the power sources are working on the unit as it gives you real-time info compared to the temp which is slower reacting.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I see you have a reading for Humidity available as well as temp?

Something that I have found from the temp data loggers in my Freezer and Fridge is the humidity rises virtually instantly as soon as energy (be it 12V power, 240V power or Gas) is removed from the fridge - and then drops as soon as energy restored.
Have a look at the humidity info and that will give you much better info on how the power sources are working on the unit as it gives you real-time info compared to the temp which is slower reacting.
Screenshot_20210905-221739_Sensor Blue.jpg

Screenshot_20210905-222007_Sensor Blue.jpg

As suggested I'll have to check the current draw.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
This is a screenshot to illustrate what I mean. In this case the fridge is on AC, but all three sources do the same thing when on ... chill the vanes which then cool the air and lower the humidity.
1630876322080.png

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You could just get a compressor fridge that actually works and spend all the money on B2B/solar instead of data loggers!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You could just get a compressor fridge that actually works and spend all the money on B2B/solar instead of data loggers!
Agreed, assuming that the fridge is dead level in the first place, as absorption fridges are notoriously unstable on any incline (pooling).

At 0.5A (6w) for the compressor compared to around 8+A (100w+) for the 3 way, the comparison is quite extreme. The 3 way or absorption fridges are indeed quieter, although optimised for static operation using gas, and are fitted to motor homes and caravans because they're £500 cheaper'. https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/2012/02/...v-compressor-fridges-over-traditional-3-ways/

I suspect that numerous highly knowledgeable people spent a great deal of time, money and effort designing and then making that absorption fridge, little knowing that someone armed with just an iPhone app and a DHT11 type of sensor would then come along and question their collective expertise.

Last edited:

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Good point.
PS. can you tell me where I can get a B2B & Solar for the £10 cost of the fridge data logger? ;)

PPS. I run a compressor fridge in my Motorhome. Swapped out the 3-Way, but it is still useful to be able to check the performance :D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I rather think that response was targeted at the original poster, as indeed mine was, don't you? :giggle:

As for the cost of substituting the £10 cost of a temperature probe with B2B & solar, taking into account the reduced current consumption, the reduced dependency on costly leisure batteries, the slight increase in mpg resulting from the need to constantly recharge them, the reduction in food spoilage, the increased autonomy and the considerable reduction in stress, I'd say it makes sound economic sense over the lifetime of the motorhome to consider replacing the fridge.

Otherwise you could always use it as intended, on level ground and on 12 volt only, when EHU and more efficient gas are not otherwise available. Works ok for most people, but whatever makes you happier....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I rather think that response was targeted at the original poster, as indeed mine was, don't you? :giggle:
😁 The original poster isn't biting 😉
It's just a bit of fun to keep me occupied while we're away. I'm happy with our 3 way fridge, I think it's one of the good ones judging by how they get slated sometimes 🍺👍

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The person responding wasn't offering to feed anyone, but trying to educate them.

As Dometic themselves say;-

"To prevent the refrigerator from draining the battery, make sure that the current supplied to the caravan is cut off when the vehicle engine is not running, for example by fitting an ignition control relay"

As for blocking any ventilation, I again refer you to the manual, they're there to facilitate combustion of gas, stabilise temperature in all modes of operation, provide ventilation, etc. Again, it's all in the book

Up to you how you waste your time on something that you say you're happy with.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
😁 The original poster isn't biting 😉
It's just a bit of fun to keep me occupied while we're away. I'm happy with our 3 way fridge, I think it's one of the good ones judging by how they get slated sometimes 🍺👍

We all like to know what our naughty fridges are doing when we are not there to keep an eye on them :)

Here is an lovely graph of my Fridge temperature over the last 6 months....
1630944379652.png

(the little break end of July is when it changed from being a 3-Way to a Compressor) and I can also (if I can't contain myself) drill down at any time in those 6 months to see the temperature for any given minute ;)

The excitement is unlimited ::bigsmile:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I seem to remember at one time being told not to use gas whilst travelling, as the slipstream often blew out the light. I agree, gas is much more efficient, but I'm unsure of the safety issues, so I reluctantly use 12v

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The main reason not to use gas when travelling is that it is illegal, unless you have a crash cutoff device.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We always use the gas when travelling and yes we have a cutoff device, never had it blow out.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I seem to remember at one time being told not to use gas whilst travelling, as the slipstream often blew out the light. I agree, gas is much more efficient, but I'm unsure of the safety issues, so I reluctantly use 12v
12v Watts are the same as 230v Watts. The elements are approximately the same output so the performance is the same whichever power source is in use. Problem is that fridges rarely see 12v because most van builders economise on wire size. A quick check on the supply at the fridge with the engine running usually sees 11v at best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back