12v Charging

Oscar16

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit Custom
Hi all , I have a transit custom camper all 12v just wondering the best way to keep it all charged up when not in use main battery and leisure battery . I have a optimiser that I use for my motorcycle, can I use this on the leisure battery , or is there a way to charge both batteries with the optimiser , many thanks Oscar

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depending on the onboard charger and how it's wired you could simply plug into the house mains if stored at home.
Alternatively, use a small charger and stick it on charge once a week for a day then do the same with the other battery.
Aldi and Lidl often have cheap but good chargers.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm assuming you don't have a hook-up an on-board charger now?

The overkill option is something like a Victron Blue Smart IP22 with 3 outputs.

OP
OP
O

Oscar16

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit Custom
Thanks all , Jev it’s mainly a problem for me in winter months when the van will be tucked up in my garage and used very little. I’m guessing solar wont work in the dark of winter very well ? This is all new to me so still feeling my feet so any advice is much appreciated. I have two small optimisers which I’ve used for motorcycles in the past , could I put one on each battery during winter ? …. The van charges the leisure battery when it’s running so maybe give it a run once a week ? Was going to SORN it for the 4 cold months though , many thanks Oscar

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I’m guessing solar wont work in the dark of winter very well ?
Most likely no benefit at all.
. I have two small optimisers which I’ve used for motorcycles in the past , could I put one on each battery during winter ? …. r
Depends which Optimate you have the 4 it won't be much/any good for a battery of more than 50Ah capacity and you'd need the 5 model.

1677160944643.png

Spec'n for the 5..........
which is fine for up to 160Ah capacity.
1677161093570.png

Check which one you'd need here:

OP
OP
O

Oscar16

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit Custom
Thanks , so to sum up a motorcycle optimiser will work on the leisure battery ( providing its powerful enough ) and ok to leave on all the time ? Thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think that issue with low power chargers is just that they'd take a long time to charge a larger battery. It'll take days. But does that really matter?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
ok to leave on all the time ?
Yes, provided that they are 'intelligent' chargers (which I think they all are these days) which sense the state of charge of a battery and adjust their output appropriately . I have two spare batteries on permanent charge in the shed which can be used for my car (or the kids' or neighbours' cars) or my m/h, and the one's for each of my m/bikes are permanently on charge when not being ridden.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks all , Jev it’s mainly a problem for me in winter months when the van will be tucked up in my garage and used very little. I’m guessing solar wont work in the dark of winter very well ? This is all new to me so still feeling my feet so any advice is much appreciated. I have two small optimisers which I’ve used for motorcycles in the past , could I put one on each battery during winter ? …. The van charges the leisure battery when it’s running so maybe give it a run once a week ? Was going to SORN it for the 4 cold months though , many thanks Oscar
If putting in storage over winter, make sure you drain down all the water, including your boiler. Leave taps open. Handbrake off and wheels chocked. Do a minimum 20 mile run once a month. Check out your onbosrd charger and see what batteries it charges. Or buy a decent intelligent charger and keep you batteries charged. Get some mouse traps near the wheels.crack open top vent and let inside breath to prevent condensation.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Thanks , so to sum up a motorcycle optimiser will work on the leisure battery ( providing its powerful enough ) and ok to leave on all the time ? Thanks
I have a CTEK MXS5.0 multi-stage smart charger, which at 5A is easily enough to fill up a pair of leisure batteries over 24 hours, and will keep them topped up very well. Actually I have two, one for leisure, one for starter. They have a motorbike mode for smaller batteries, I use them on the scooters. And I leave one on the car when I go away, so it starts first time when we get back.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
You are correct the solar panels don't work well inside your garage :) If the garage has power then a trickle charger and a timer are all you need. Many people choose that the charger is only turned on for a day or two and then off for the rest of the week type thing. The Battery Master (Vanbitz sell one of their own too) is a convenient way to just charge leisure and the little box will top up your engine battery once leisure are full.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
If you have a basic Split Charge Relay for charging when driving, then you can charge both with one charger.

Our is a VW T6. The Ctek mentioned above, plugged into the starter battery, charges both through the relay.

If you have a way of measuring voltage on both batteries then try it to confirm.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If you have a basic Split Charge Relay for charging when driving, then you can charge both with one charger.

Our is a VW T6. The Ctek mentioned above, plugged into the starter battery, charges both through the relay.

If you have a way of measuring voltage on both batteries then try it to confirm.
The split charge relay should only connect the leisure battery to the engine battery when there is a D+ signal. This means only when the engine is running.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Far better to take the van out for a run every few weeks than to sorn it. Left sitting for months is not good for the mechanical parts.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Far better to take the van out for a run every few weeks than to sorn it. Left sitting for months is not good for the mechanical parts.

I agree, what better way to keep your motorhome in tip top condition is once a month go out for a few hours and park up at a lovely spot and have a cuppa and lunch in the van, keeps everything ticking along…😎

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The split charge relay should only connect the leisure battery to the engine battery when there is a D+ signal. This means only when the engine is running.
That's the best kind of split charge relay. But it might be a Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) that comes on whenever the starter battery voltage is over say 13.0V, in which case the charger could charge both.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
That's the best kind of split charge relay. But it might be a Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) that comes on whenever the starter battery voltage is over say 13.0V, in which case the charger could charge both.
That's the one.

Surprised me first time I saw it happen, I'd turned the mains charger off (as it is just a basic PB10 12v charger) so as not to cook the leisure batteries, and plugged the CTEK into the dash 12v.

I had installed Bluetooth BM2 battery monitors on each battery, so wondered what was going on with the trace showing both batteries being charged, until some research on the T6forum told me what was happening!

OP
OP
O

Oscar16

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit Custom
Hi all thanks for all the info , I have a MVM voltage sensitive intelligent split change relay fitted so with this in mind can I charge my engine battery with a normal car ( trickle charge ) battery charger without it effecting my Leisure battery? Or should I disconnect the leisure battery or will the charger charge both safely ? So when the brighter weather comes I guess I can connect my mobile solar panels ( with built in regulator ) direct to the leisure battery to keep it topped up . Thanks all

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It won't affect your leisure battery.
But if you fit a BatteryMasteror similar to keep the starter battery topped up from the leisure battery you will need to change the Voltage sensing relays for a standard split charge relay.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
I found that when I plugged my leisure batteries in on hook up it charged the starter battery via the volt sensitive relay. I thought it would only work in the other direction. Now I have solar to the leisure batteries do you think it will cause any problems?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I found that when I plugged my leisure batteries in on hook up it charged the starter battery via the volt sensitive relay. I thought it would only work in the other direction. Now I have solar to the leisure batteries do you think it will cause any problems?
Normally a split charge relay charges the leisure battery when the alternator is running.
If you use a voltage sensing relay with solar and you have a dual regulator charging the starter battery or a battery master or similar when the starter battery reaches the switch on voltage of the voltage sensing relay it will turn the relay on creating a loop back to the leisure battery. That is why you should only use a standard split charge relay with solar.

OP
OP
O

Oscar16

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit Custom
OMG so confusing for a novice like me , I think me starter battery is on its last legs anyway so a replacement will be imminent. So am I able to attach solar to my leisure battery providing I don’t have any chargers connected to my vehicle battery ? Thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Normally a split charge relay charges the leisure battery when the alternator is running.
If you use a voltage sensing relay with solar and you have a dual regulator charging the starter battery or a battery master or similar when the starter battery reaches the switch on voltage of the voltage sensing relay it will turn the relay on creating a loop back to the leisure battery. That is why you should only use a standard split charge relay with solar.
I don't have a dual regulator but when on charge (battery charger or solar) the relay starts charging the starter battery. Should there be a diode to stop this or do I need to fit one?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't have a dual regulator but when on charge (battery charger or solar) the relay starts charging the starter battery. Should there be a diode to stop this or do I need to fit one?
Not possible if it's wired correctly unless you are confusing the split charge relay with what is refered to as a solar split charge relay like the CBE CSB2.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OMG so confusing for a novice like me , I think me starter battery is on its last legs anyway so a replacement will be imminent. So am I able to attach solar to my leisure battery providing I don’t have any chargers connected to my vehicle battery ? Thanks
Yes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back