Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We picked up a new site sponsor/advertiser last week, I received the advert today. Look at that, a 100AH battery for £500 when using promo code MHFUN. (y)

batmeg.png

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Off-grid a lot, payload issues etc. The prices of these batteries are certainly heading in the right direction.
...and then some. By the time I retire for a second time and do some serious off grid travelling, they will fit nicely, thanks........

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Always buy my batteries from these guys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Looks good deal. I will look to upgrade when the present batteries give up the ghost in 2 or 3 years time (fingers crossed) but last van were still good at 3 years but lets see what the Varta one in this van are like. I guess the extra costs of changing charging for alternator and charger may add additional costs but I thin an 100ah LION is like a 200ah lead one isn't it?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Bought 2 leisure and a chassis battery from them recently. Good price and service.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Can’t see the ad on my phone Jim
Any chance of a link to the product page

Feeling very slightly miffed as I paid £1,000 each for my 100a lithium’s last year

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good to see them sponsoring the site but I wish they would spend some money on their Web site number plate driven search function.
Entered my Hyundai which is a 65 plate..... Vehicle not found.
Entered my Chrysler, 07 plate, practically told me the tyre pressures.
Why have a search engine that doesn't work and no other search option.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Good to see them sponsoring the site but I wish they would spend some money on their Web site number plate search function.
Entered my Hyundai which is a 65 plate..... Vehicle not found.
Entered my Chrysler, 07 plate, practically told me the tyre pressures.
Why have a search engine that doesn't work and no other search option.
There's a yellow magnifying glass icon under the number plate search one you can use to find a specific part.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you visually search batteries long enough you can find the correct one so why doesn't it come up in any search.
The search engine needs work... End of.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
What battery is it, tried to add 100ah to basket but it turned into a 84 ah one, there is no 100ah battery without a charger or inverter or is it 30% of all LION batteries?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
What battery is it, tried to add 100ah to basket but it turned into a 84 ah one, there is no 100ah battery without a charger or inverter or is it 30% of all LION batteries?

You have to go to a different page to get all of them to show up.

Is it this one that you were trying to find?

I just tried adding it to the basket with the code and it reduces it to £504.

I need a new battery but suspect the cost/hassle factor of sorting out the charging/distribution side of it means it won't be one of these.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You have to go to a different page to get all of them to show up.

Is it this one that you were trying to find?

I just tried adding it to the basket with the code and it reduces it to £504.

I need a new battery but suspect the cost/hassle factor of sorting out the charging/distribution side of it means it won't be one of these.

I already have a LiFePO4 battery and went to a lot of expense to optimise the charging. However when I swap it into my new motorhome I am seriously thinking of just dropping it into the battery comnpartrment instead of the standard gel one. The charging rate of the standard equipment might be a bit less than perfect but probably near enough.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Benefits:
Longer life, many more charges and discharges. Half the weight. Can be discharged safely to lower levels so effectively more useable capacity than equivalent lead acid battery. Can be recharged quicker at higher rate of Amps (good with higher rate B2B). Very low self discharge when left for long periods. If off grid higher efficiency charging at 99% and lower Peukerts exponent of 1.05 gets more out of solar input. Maintains higher Voltage throughout most of discharge range.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can someone explain the benefits please. Our are on way out but is the cost justifiable?
½ the weight of same size lead acid, can be discharged down to 5% so a 100a/h can give 95 a/h useable power compared to 50 a/h from a 100 a/h lead acid. Can be fully recharged in a few hours.
To take advantage of the fast charging you need the means to charge then, if relying on solar unless you have a lot of solar say 600-800 watts you won't gain a lot but will charge very quickly form the mains or a B2B.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Benefits:
Longer life, many more charges and discharges. Half the weight. Can be discharged safely to lower levels so effectively more useable capacity than equivalent lead acid battery. Can be recharged quicker at higher rate of Amps (good with higher rate B2B). Very low self discharge when left for long periods. If off grid higher efficiency charging at 99% and lower Peukerts exponent of 1.05 gets more out of solar input. Maintains higher Voltage throughout most of discharge range.

"Can be discharged safely to lower levels so effectively more useable capacity than equivalent lead acid battery. "

This part is debatable. Discharging any battery to lower levels reduces its lifespan be it lead acid or lithium. Basically one has to think how many times a year one would discharge a battery down to 20%. For most of us, especially if a solar panel is fitted and most use is in Spring to Autumn, you might not find it reaches that level very often, and even down to 20% a lead acid battery should survive at least 300 discharges down to this level. -That equates discarging down to 20% at least 60 times a year for 5 years. If a 100ah lead acid costs £100, and a 100ah Lithium costs £750, by the same analysis a lithium battery would have to last about 40 years to be cost effective. (Ignoring inflation, increase/decrease in battery prices over time).

The weight saving is not that great, A 100ah lead acid battery weighs about 22kg, a similar lithium battery weighs 13kg. -A weight saving equivalent to 9 litres of water!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
"Can be discharged safely to lower levels so effectively more useable capacity than equivalent lead acid battery. "

This part is debatable. Discharging any battery to lower levels reduces its lifespan be it lead acid or lithium. Basically one has to think how many times a year one would discharge a battery down to 20%. For most of us, especially if a solar panel is fitted and most use is in Spring to Autumn, you might not find it reaches that level very often, and even down to 20% a lead acid battery should survive at least 300 discharges down to this level. -That equates discarging down to 20% at least 60 times a year for 5 years. If a 100ah lead acid costs £100, and a 100ah Lithium costs £750, by the same analysis a lithium battery would have to last about 40 years to be cost effective. (Ignoring inflation, increase/decrease in battery prices over time).

The weight saving is not that great, A 100ah lead acid battery weighs about 22kg, a similar lithium battery weighs 13kg. -A weight saving equivalent to 9 litres of water!
I agree that the cost of LiFePO4 batteries does not add up for many users. However 300/500 lead acid discharges compared with 5,000 LiFePO4 ones is a significant difference.

Also it is worth remembering that in both types of battery performance drops of a little with every discharge cycle. What this means is that a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery with 10 times the cycle life will operate near to 100Ah for a great deal longer than a lead acid one. The 60 annual discharges used in the example above could mean that after 1 year a lead acid battery has perhaps 90Ah left working but the LiFePO4 one still has more than 99Ah available.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I agree that the cost of LiFePO4 batteries does not add up for many users. However 300/500 lead acid discharges compared with 5,000 LiFePO4 ones is a significant difference.

Also it is worth remembering that in both types of battery performance drops of a little with every discharge cycle. What this means is that a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery with 10 times the cycle life will operate near to 100Ah for a great deal longer than a lead acid one. The 60 annual discharges used in the example above could mean that after 1 year a lead acid battery has perhaps 90Ah left working but the LiFePO4 one still has more than 99Ah available.
I think you are ignoring the huge price difference between the two types of battery. You could have 10 cheap lead acid batteries for the price of just one lithium, and if you add in the scrap value of each battery you could have 11. Also one needs to consider just how often one would discharge a battery down to its minimum level. This year, in 6 weeks of use of our motorhome, I've only discharged it down to that level just once. My lead acid habitation batteries should have a long happy life!

Frankly, the cost of a lithium battery today far, far outweighs any advantages it might have. Maybe if the price was down to £150 to £200 for a 100ah battery they would be worth considering. I use plenty of lithium batteries with one of my hobbies, and the experience of the last 5 years is that prices for them are on the rise not falling, so it may be a very long time before such a figure is reached, if at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back