Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Does anybody still have/use CB Radios in their Motorhomes? Mine has got one in it and I'm deciding whether to leave it in or take it out. I'm planning to spend the summer touring through France and Spain and am wondering if any other MHers are likely to be using CB's en route.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
do i own 1 or more cb radios yes. not used in 10 years in a motorhome though

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
UK and EU have a common CB band but the old UK rigs are not on that band. Even some EU/UK rigs are illegal to use outside of the UK.

Only rigs on the CEPT "Harmonised" channels. in the UK to allow the use of Amplitude Modulation (AM) Double-sideband (DSB) and Single-sideband (SSB) transmission on CB radio. As a result many operators are no longer on the FM only frequency.

Rigs produced before 2014 are not allowed to be used outside of the UK. More info http://www.delboyenterprises.co.uk/CB/Legal_CB_Radio.htm

I have a pre 2013 FM CB with the UK/EU CEPT band in the motorhome but it is not used much and 99.9% of the time it is it is quiet.

I am also a Radio Ham and even those frequencies are quiet. I is relatively easy now to get into amateur radio with the introduction of the Foundation Licence. http://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/for-students/foundation/

John g0fgg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My CB is in the shed, it's got 40 FM channels and is the 27/81 designation. Are these frequencies still used? I've not had it on since the 1980s

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
UK and EU have a common CB band but the old UK rigs are not on that band. Even some EU/UK rigs are illegal to use outside of the UK.

Only rigs on the CEPT "Harmonised" channels. in the UK to allow the use of Amplitude Modulation (AM) Double-sideband (DSB) and Single-sideband (SSB) transmission on CB radio. As a result many operators are no longer on the FM only frequency.

Rigs produced before 2014 are not allowed to be used outside of the UK. More info http://www.delboyenterprises.co.uk/CB/Legal_CB_Radio.htm

I have a pre 2013 FM CB with the UK/EU CEPT band in the motorhome but it is not used much and 99.9% of the time it is it is quiet.

I am also a Radio Ham and even those frequencies are quiet. I is relatively easy now to get into amateur radio with the introduction of the Foundation Licence. http://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/for-students/foundation/

John g0fgg

Tbanks for all that. I have a CB don't know how to use it. Will try to undertstand your post tomorrow. I may even switch the thing on. Prob won't understand much though, currently in Greece haha.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Great memories of the cb days in the 80's still got an fm audioline a midland am and a couple of handsets in the attic somewhere I had a short D90 Arial bolted to a wheel rim wrapped in foil thinking it improved signal plus a mag mount and one of those swr meters :D2
I bet it was better than those tinder or plenty of fish sites they got now ? :cool:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Had one in the last camper very quiet ,had a couple of copies across the Bristol channel to breakers in Wales that's about it .
Back in the day had one on the charter boats Jollyrodger1944(1944 the old dialling UK code) marine mobile ,better distance to other boats fishing the deeper wrecks .
Muppet Handel ,Conger eel :D
Have a few good antennas should anybody want them
10/10

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Great memories of the cb days in the 80's still got an fm audioline a midland am and a couple of handsets in the attic somewhere I had a short D90 Arial bolted to a wheel rim wrapped in foil thinking it improved signal plus a mag mount and one of those swr meters :D2
I bet it was better than those tinder or plenty of fish sites they got now ? :cool:

Mmmmm yes I seem to remember a few old trouts ........

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
My CB is in the shed, it's got 40 FM channels and is the 27/81 designation. Are these frequencies still used? I've not had it on since the 1980s
Yes they are the channels designated as UK. There is nothing wrong with the old sets as long as they are aligned correctly. I still use a ham handheld I bought in 1981.

ploots

Free Member
May 31, 2013
gloucester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt bessacarr 765p
Exp
I bought a new cb a couple of years ago 80 channel jobbie used it in my truck as a few of us were running up and down the M5 through the night kept us awake for longer, I keep wondering whether to put it in the moho

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back