Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (4 Viewers)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Can you start building any of the inside stuff at home? Composting toilet for instance that could slot in the van when it is at the right stage?
I've thought about starting to build stuff at home for a van of the future!

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Oh dear, poor Tam!
I do sympathise. I thought it was just solo women that had to put up with this sort of nonsense from the male of the species.
I grew up believing that in the absence of wealth one's word was a precious commodity. If I said I'd do something then it got done and by the time or date promised.
That aspect of life seems to have changed, I suppose these people no longer care, if that dis-satisfied client takes his job elsewhere- who cares, there will be another sucker along to take his place pretty soon.
It makes the world a poorer place. 😶😣
You could be right Val but on the other hand we are still living in strange times - playing catch-up after the past eighteen months being 'switched off'. It will take a while to ramp back up to the 2019 'norm' and that's discounting the backlog of jobs that were put on hold in the interim.

I feel Tam's pain though and wish people were honest about what can and can't be done within a certain timescale. At least my dealer was upfront when booking an overdue habitation service on our van (its still under warranty) by saying it couldn't be looked at till August. I am still waiting for a response on another matter from their workshop manager though who up to this point has been first class.

Tam - maybe just hang on to your Hymer for now. At least then you've got something to escape in when frustration gets the upper hand ;). Good luck going forward(y)!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Can you start building any of the inside stuff at home? Composting toilet for instance that could slot in the van when it is at the right stage?
I've thought about starting to build stuff at home for a van of the future!
Don't really have the space unfortunately. If i had a garage that would be a plan but nowhere to store or build anything here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Ive not decided yet ...ive nearly bought a couple as they were well priced

A Yamaha fazer 600 ....189kg
A Honda cbf600 ....209kg
Yamaha dragstar 650 ....249kg
Ktm 390 ....149kg

Obviously id prefer lighter than heavier ....but also want a bike i like so ive asked him to build it capable of carrying up to around 300kg ...

Ive also the length of the bike to consider as the van is 2.2 metres wide and a dragstar for instance is not far off that in length

Can't decide between a cruiser a tourer or an off roader 😁
How about a Honda cb500x dual sport. Good for roads and a bit of trail. Around 200 kg.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Ive not decided yet ...ive nearly bought a couple as they were well priced

A Yamaha fazer 600 ....189kg
A Honda cbf600 ....209kg
Yamaha dragstar 650 ....249kg
Ktm 390 ....149kg

Obviously id prefer lighter than heavier ....but also want a bike i like so ive asked him to build it capable of carrying up to around 300kg ...

Ive also the length of the bike to consider as the van is 2.2 metres wide and a dragstar for instance is not far off that in length

Can't decide between a cruiser a tourer or an off roader 😁
Some nice bikes there Tam. Not sure about the dragstar though. Borrowed one once, definitely put me off feet forward cruisers. I had a Fazer, the first model, brilliant bike. Have you seen the Yamaha T7? It’s a 700cc Tenere. No fancy electric tricks to go wrong just a basic on, off road bike.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tam ... any good?

Broken Link Removed

camion

Free Member
May 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Furgoneta
Hi Tam, I feel your pain regarding reliance on others. My van is the predecessor to yours
ie pre electronic era and non Euro diesel engine classification. But many features were retained
such as chassis and body structure. I suppose you know that all Type 2 UK imports ceased in 2013.
MB always boast that they retain obsolete model spares for 250? years or so, hope so! The following
may or may not apply to your model,

To prevent the electr/mech. tacho from slow discharging of the starter batteries, I just removed the
appropriate fuse.

If no tacho card is inserted, a plastic dummy disc should be used, so say Kienzle.

The 'A' pillars are prone to rust from inside, some converters don't insulate the overcab area, result is
condensation which pours along the top windscreen frame and straight down the 'A' pillars. I used glued
camper mats on this area, has been ok for 28 years.

Don't install a Malaga gas/electric water heater. Aluminium tank which corrodes. Truma =S/Steel.

You realise that the body structure is separated from the chassis by rubber flexible insulators in heavy cast
steel brackets, but I note that your rear side frames are integral with the body structure that means
if you weld up your rack directly to the side frames, that the m/bike and rack weight will not be directly
supported by the chassis, the chassis will flex on uneven surfaces so it's worth considering what effect this might
have if you weld frame members from one to the other(cracking?).

My welded m/bike rack is bolted directly to the full length chassis legs, the legs actually end about 5" from
the rear valance (number plate). As for welding the rack up, I managed by chamfering/Vee grinding 3 and 4mm RHS sections then making a first pass weld, then grinding the weld down and making a further pass. 120A Clarke MIG welder.
13A domestic supply. Tripped at times.
My M/bike is only 125kg, but last year a hopeful immigrant to the UK hitched a 140km free trip south from Calais
so it's definitely safe for 200kg LoL. I'm not a pro welder, or any kind of welder. I'm sure you'd have no real trouble,
Nowt so frustrating as waiting for some unreliable promiser.

Internally the van is max. 189cm wide, My interior lining is 3.76mm veneered ply this sits directly on the main
verticals to retain as much width as possible, I'm 187cm (6'-2") tall so side to side kipping is just possible
at a bit of an angle. Personally I would avoid side pods like the plague or covid!
I maximised the interior height 190cm as much as practicable, by lining the ceiling with 3.76mm ply directly
on the roof steel braces. The brace void filled with expanding foam insulation.
The floor is only 6mm ply on 12mm X 40mm battens positioned accurately where the furniture and joinery
framing would sit, with 12mm exp. poly. insulation filling the voids. Not a lot of insulation but the alternatives
are an elevating roof or a hunch back.

Anyway there may be something in my ramblings to consider.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Tam, I feel your pain regarding reliance on others. My van is the predecessor to yours
ie pre electronic era and non Euro diesel engine classification. But many features were retained
such as chassis and body structure. I suppose you know that all Type 2 UK imports ceased in 2013.
MB always boast that they retain obsolete model spares for 250? years or so, hope so! The following

To prevent the electr/mech. tacho from slow discharging of the starter batteries, I just removed the
appropriate fuse.

If no tacho card is inserted, a plastic dummy disc should be used, so say Kienzle.

The 'A' pillars are prone to rust from inside, some converters don't insulate the overcab area, result is
condensation which pours along the top windscreen frame and straight down the 'A' pillars. I used glued
camper mats on this area, has been ok for 28 years.

Don't install a Malaga gas/electric water heater. Aluminium tank which corrodes. Truma =S/Steel.

You realise that the body structure is separated from the chassis by rubber flexible insulators in heavy cast
steel brackets, but I note that your rear side frames are integral with the body structure that means
if you weld up your rack directly to the side frames, that the m/bike and rack weight will not be directly
supported by the chassis, the chassis will flex on uneven surfaces so it's worth considering what effect this might
have if you weld frame members from one to the other(cracking?).

My welded m/bike rack is bolted directly to the full length chassis legs, the legs actually end about 5" from
the rear valance (number plate). As for welding the rack up, I managed by chamfering/Vee grinding 3 and 4mm RHS sections then making a first pass weld, then grinding the weld down and making a further pass. 120A Clarke MIG welder.
13A domestic supply. Tripped at times.
My M/bike is only 125kg, but last year a hopeful immigrant to the UK hitched a 140km free trip south from Calais
so it's definitely safe for 200kg LoL. I'm not a pro welder, or any kind of welder. I'm sure you'd have no real trouble,
Nowt so frustrating as waiting for some unreliable promiser.

Internally the van is max. 189cm wide, My interior lining is 3.76mm veneered ply this sits directly on the main
verticals to retain as much width as possible, I'm 187cm (6'-2") tall so side to side kipping is just possible
at a bit of an angle. Personally I would avoid side pods like the plague or covid!
I maximised the interior height 190cm as much as practicable, by lining the ceiling with 3.76mm ply directly
on the roof steel braces. The brace void filled with expanding foam insulation.
The floor is only 6mm ply on 12mm X 40mm battens positioned accurately where the furniture and joinery
framing would sit, with 12mm exp. poly. insulation filling the voids. Not a lot of insulation but the alternatives
are an elevating roof or a hunch back.

Anyway there may be something in my ramblings to consider.
Another cracking first post (y)

Welcome to Fun

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nothing new on the vario yet ...but blacksmith has started at least ...might get a photo tomorrow.

But meantime i got a new car today ...have looked at a few as i don't really need a towbar anymore as i only ever towed it 3 or 4 times ..
Didn't want anything with high road tax as im now used to cheap tax and i grudge paying more lol.

But the wee alto has been great and very reliable so when this one came up on gumtree i was first to view it ...2 owners from new full service history and a years mot ....and even less road tax at £20 per year ...it was filthy but it cleaned up well with a wash polish and wax.

Just need a wheel trim now

20210602_183028.jpg
20210602_183010.jpg

So if anyone looking for a cheap toad my black alto is for sale ....

If it doesn't sell in the next week or so im going to strip all the towkit off it and see if i can fit it to this one .....might aswell

20210531_134918.jpg
20210531_134918.jpg
20210531_134918.jpg
20210602_193922.jpg

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Great an update, no photos but still better than nothing. If you can get some pics of the blacksmith’s work that would be great. Keep it coming Tam.👍🏻

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Nothing new on the vario yet ...but blacksmith has started at least ...might get a photo tomorrow.

But meantime i got a new car today ...have looked at a few as i don't really need a towbar anymore as i only ever towed it 3 or 4 times ..
Didn't want anything with high road tax as im now used to cheap tax and i grudge paying more lol.

But the wee alto has been great and very reliable so when this one came up on gumtree i was first to view it ...2 owners from new full service history and a years mot ....and even less road tax at £20 per year ...it was filthy but it cleaned up well with a wash polish and wax.

Just need a wheel trim now

View attachment 502975View attachment 502976

So if anyone looking for a cheap toad my black alto is for sale ....

If it doesn't sell in the next week or so im going to strip all the towkit off it and see if i can fit it to this one .....might aswell

View attachment 502977View attachment 502977View attachment 502977View attachment 502978
Will it not fit sideways in the back of your bus under the bed?!!

Cheers James

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
A new member making such a brilliant contribution to this thread,welcome .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My wee alto sold this morning to a motorhomer from dumfries he never even looked inside never mind take it for a drive he just reversed his vw t5 in handed me the cash hooked up and drove off lol .. easiest sale ever.

Popped up to blacksmith ....h hasnt welded anything in place yet just set it out and tacked. But this gives an idea

It wont be welded to the chassis just the body reinforcement to allow it to flex ...
20210604_122851.jpg
20210604_122931.jpg
20210604_122942.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Will you be having a triangulation bar fitted bolted the the chassis that hangs down to help support it .

Attachments

• 19741908-55A8-4F1A-A7E0-CD9094B43DDC.jpeg
    19741908-55A8-4F1A-A7E0-CD9094B43DDC.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Will you be having a triangulation bar fitted bolted the the chassis that hangs down to help support it .
At the minute we haven't decided ...because the body and chassis are independent of each other anything that joins them would have to be flexible ...so once all this is welded up and the platform attached we are going to weight test it and see if it needs anything further . But a diagonal bar from the chassis was/is an option if it requires one ...but have to get round the flexible issue.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I see that’s what the round bits are along the length then , body to chassis rubber mounts.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As the sills look to sit around 30cm(?) lower than the new frame, is that space going to be used for anything?

Would make a good spot for a water tank, assuming this wouldn't affect the balance of the vehicle?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As the sills look to sit around 30cm(?) lower than the new frame, is that space going to be used for anything?

Would make a good spot for a water tank, assuming this wouldn't affect the balance of the vehicle?
Not sure as yet . Possible spare wheel and possibly an underfloor storage box ...water tanks going inside, waste tank underneath front near side behind passenger seat.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At the minute we haven't decided ...because the body and chassis are independent of each other anything that joins them would have to be flexible ...so once all this is welded up and the platform attached we are going to weight test it and see if it needs anything further . But a diagonal bar from the chassis was/is an option if it requires one ...but have to get round the flexible issue.
Can you utilise some dampers (shock absorbers) fixed to the extension and the existing chassis to give support and allow flex?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Can you utilise some dampers (shock absorbers) fixed to the extension and the existing chassis to give support and allow flex?
Nah it would have to be some sort of rubbish bushes. But it might be fine just welded to these full length box sections.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back