NC 500 is the bubble about to burst! (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Sadly, it’s very much society today.

I was following a car on a busy motorway yesterday. One hand comes out of passenger side, throws can. Driver opens window, discards paper and takeaway litter from his side. Followed by the children in the back.

Same day, some woman throws a disposable nappy out of the rear of a car. When I pipped my horn, Bloke in drivers seat clenched his fist to me !.

It’s on my dash cam and I am considering sending it to the EA.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Seems to be the mentality of the masses now, as long as they are ok sod anyone else. Just look at the aftermath on the beaches and any large gatherings. Its not hard, If you bring it take it home

Wanted to do the NC500 in april/may but Covid stopped us. But it's not somewhere we are in a rush to bother with now as will be busy and the scum now seem to doing a good job of making MH's less welcome. Will find somewhere else and look again in a year or two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010

I was following a car on a busy motorway yesterday. One hand comes out of passenger side, throws can. Driver opens window, discards paper and takeaway litter from his side. Followed by the children in the back.

Same day, some woman throws a disposable nappy out of the rear of a car. When I pipped my horn, Bloke in drivers seat clenched his fist to me !.

Yes, do.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Seems to be the mentality of the masses now, as long as they are ok sod anyone else. Just look at the aftermath on the beaches and any large gatherings. Its not hard, If you bring it take it home

Wanted to do the NC500 in april/may but Covid stopped us. But it's not somewhere we are in a rush to bother with now as will be busy and the scum now seem to doing a good job of making MH's less welcome. Will find somewhere else and look again in a year or two.

That's an understatement, Between Durness and Thurso the last 2 days has been a nightmare, we are hear as part of driving the entire UK coast, stated before lockdown and returned last week stating in Carlisle, been a good trip until the last few days, far too many idiots about, but I'm sorry to say motorhomes seem to be a big issue (mostly hired, not owned it seems) at one point a local blocked the road with his car and actually told me they were going to get a tractor and start turning MH's over, I had a chat and calmed him down, mostly by agreeing with him and pointing out that not all people on the route are a*****es.

He was acting like a knob, but even so I shouldn't have to get out of the van and ask a large group of VW camper drivers to return to their vans and clear the road as people couldn't get through.

We've had a day off today at Dunnet Bay, I'm hoping to avoid the idiots tomorrow (my thinking is we were unlucky and had a particularly bad bunch around us, and hopefully they've moved on) We should get to Inverness tomorrow or Saturday early doors and then no more NC500ers

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sadly I can only see this getting worse with the current trend towards "staycations" and the considerable increase in motorhomes and caravan sales - it was already getting ridiculous.

Despite our love of Scotland we won't be going anywhere near there during any kind of holiday season. Thankfully we can choose our dates and are not all that concerned about having the best weather. Instead next month we're jumping on a ferry to Ireland - hopefully the idiots haven't noticed there yet!

Continental Europe is going to have to wait until next year now.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The boss wanted to do the UK this year, I said no way. What's the point with Newhaven only 20 miles from home, no brainer for me.
I've just booked the ferry for 1st September. I love the Highlands but it sounds as if there are just too many MHs going there and the facilities are limited. I'm sure there are still empty corners up there but the popular spots sound crowded. Plenty of clean air but not so many aires as where we will be going (France).

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Breaks my heart reading this, but it was only to be expected, especially after lock down rules eased.
Knowing this then why would anyone think they could have an enjoyable experience, especially at this time of year, even in normal times its packed out up the top, & down the west coast.
Its surely only a question of not IF, but When you will encounter problems with wild camping litter spread everywhere, locals being upset with the mess thats left ruining it for all of us.
One really out of the way spot we found last year, I am sad to say that we found litter, beer cans & Coke Cans with a newish date on them, I had to collect it all up in a black bin liner, I couldnt stand to see it, let alone camp up by it.
Its not just campervans, its car clubs, motorcycle clubs, plus all the hire vans going to all the popular spots.
I dread to think what Skye is like at the moment, it was bad enough last April 2019, we only crossed the bridge for LPG, then made a fast retreat.
I fear it will only get worse each year, its time more campsites, especially the small CL types opened up to campers,planning restrictions should be eased, in fact they should be sponsored by the local councils to set up initially, everyone would benefit.
Waste bins are too few, and far between, and when you see one it will probably be overfilled, with plastic bags placed around it.
Sadly anywhere humans congregate these days, mess is left behind, and they expect it to be cleared by others, even in the most remote spots, like on top of cairns!.
Park4nite, doesnt help in sending all to these spots either IMV.
LES

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not just motorhomers campers etc it’s a large section of the British public who respect nothing including the environment and the law and its getting worse generation on generation, the country is becoming a disgrace.
I live on the coast and many visitors just leave their rubbish behind. :swear2: :swear2:

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
It is so sad that everything is being ruined by the few AGAIN, it's always the way.
Why spoil the very place they went to enjoy, I just do understand it at all.
I think once we are up & running we will be staying pretty close to home, at least that way we can come home again if we really have to, there are so many beautiful spots on our doorstep, I just hope they haven't been ruined by idiots.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I’ve been touring mostly by motorbike around the north of Scotland for a very long time. The NC500 has ruined it for me. Not too many years ago we could ride all day around the north coast region and see perhaps half a dozen cars and one or two caravans or motorhomes. Now, it’s nose to tail cars, motorhomes, caravans and motorbikes. A victim of its own success? I’ll say and then some. There are other great roads to ride, let’s just hope they don’t get as crowded.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

You don’t like Modern Britain then! Neither do l, l cannot believe the level that society in general has sunk.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.

Send it or maybe youtube

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
We drove round the eastern and northern sections of the NC500 last week our, new to us, Hymer. Avoided the western section due to the midge forecast.

The route seemed pretty quiet. We stopped on sites as we figured that the season had been seriously curtailed for the tourism facility providers this year, so it was essential to put some money in.

On the last night we wilded just south of Inverness in a church car park. Looked up the Church website for contact details and then emailed to say we’d left a cash donation and a picture of where to find it. Had a lovely email back from them saying it was really appreciated as their collection takings had evaporated over the last few months.

This was our first outing in a motorhome ever, and our first trip to Highlands. We planned the trip just two hours before we departed as we spotted the weather looked unusually great.

Everyone we met on the route was super friendly - we absolutely loved it!

IMG_1350.jpeg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
A close friend of mine was a car park attendant at our local sea side. He watched a family eating fish and chips in there car. When he came back to the car park the car was surrounded by chip papers, dirty nappies and drinks cans.
He noticed the sun roof was open so he gathered up the rubbish and dumped it in the car. To top it off they hadn’t paid for the car park so they got a ticket.
I was brought up to never drop litter and respect you’re surroundings. Leave as you would like to find it with nothing but you’re footprints to say you’ve been there.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Have we only just noticed all this mess? Or does It appear worse because it’s being reported. There is never an excuse for dirty, thoughtless, damaging, and selfish behaviour. Is this what happens as we get older? Life around us becomes intolerably different and behaviours unacceptable.
sad that some people feel they can get away with poor behaviour.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We drove round the eastern and northern sections of the NC500 last week our, new to us, Hymer. Avoided the western section due to the midge forecast.

The route seemed pretty quiet. We stopped on sites as we figured that the season had been seriously curtailed for the tourism facility providers this year, so it was essential to put some money in.

On the last night we wilded just south of Inverness in a church car park. Looked up the Church website for contact details and then emailed to say we’d left a cash donation and a picture of where to find it. Had a lovely email back from them saying it was really appreciated as their collection takings had evaporated over the last few months.

This was our first outing in a motorhome ever, and our first trip to Highlands. We planned the trip just two hours before we departed as we spotted the weather looked unusually great.

View attachment 409556
that's my kind of planning I like your style

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Sadly I can only see this getting worse with the current trend towards "staycations" and the considerable increase in motorhomes and caravan sales - it was already getting ridiculous.

Despite our love of Scotland we won't be going anywhere near there during any kind of holiday season. Thankfully we can choose our dates and are not all that concerned about having the best weather. Instead next month we're jumping on a ferry to Ireland - hopefully the idiots haven't noticed there yet!

Continental Europe is going to have to wait until next year now.

Hi Terry.
Do you know what the deal is with going to Ireland ( Eire) at the moment?
I know they are asking GB visitors to self isolate but I don't know if it's like the polite French request or a bit more.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

View attachment 409556

Id love to do the same tomorrow please send me the post code

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19

I can't understand people who throw litter from their car windows but I too have been tempted to throw children from a moving vehicle on many occasions.

Graydo

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sadly the NC500 is a victim of its marketing success. It was a lot pleasanter before 2015 when they decided to promote the NC500 it always been there, but was a wonderful before it became 'a must do' route
Yes, Lois - it really has put me off. I think West Wales is probably a better bet for a while. Apart from mad Welsh women with wine bottles and macaroons, of course..... :wink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back