NC 500 is the bubble about to burst! (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I agree, but it doesnt need to cost very much.

NZ has lots of freedom camping places, in the main they are car parks where you re allowed to stay if you have a 'self-contained vehicle' sticker issued by the NZMCA. If you are found overnighting without one you are whacked with a 500 dollars fine ( I think). The dump stations are taken care of by garages (paid) and some public stations (usually free) The whole thing can be self financing.

So what authority organised all that Jon? Does UK have equivalent authority?

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So what authority organised all that Jon? Does UK have equivalent authority?

Geoff
The NZMCA New Zealand Motor Caravan Association, run the self contained scheme, where you have to pay for an inspection to get the sticker and they also run a membership sheme with a badge (wings so would suit you Geoff) with numbers so trangressing members can be identified.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry Geoff didn't answer both parts, they represent motorhome owners as a ckub and less of a business than the uk caravan club.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Part of the problem is that Highland Council has the largest area in the UK to cover with the lowest population. So income is a problem and they rely a lot on tourists.
Having a population of around 300,000 and millions of tourists will cause problems, HC are currently in process of closing most of the public facillities. I have written to local town council in Alness to install an aire but to no avail.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Part of the problem is that Highland Council has the largest area in the UK to cover with the lowest population. So income is a problem and they rely a lot on tourists.
Having a population of around 300,000 and millions of tourists will cause problems, HC are currently in process of closing most of the public facillities. I have written to local town council in Alness to install an aire but to no avail.
They are closing facilities such as toilets and locals are having to run them unpaid. Have to say when HC execs are earning more than the PM it’s becoming hard to respect their decisions.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Toilets are being closed all over the country, may be they think we all have bigger bladders now.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I really dont understand all this litter people are leaving, it makes no sense to me at all, i cant understand how you can walk away and leave it there.

I was fishing yesterday on a large reservoir type lake, the wind blew a small hook packet out my box and i ended up running about 70 yds down the lake in my wellies to retrieve it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I really dont understand all this litter people are leaving, it makes no sense to me at all, i cant understand how you can walk away and leave it there.

I was fishing yesterday on a large reservoir type lake, the wind blew a small hook packet out my box and i ended up running about 70 yds down the lake in my wellies to retrieve it
... is that gonna appear on Youtube anytime soon??? :LOL:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The thing that annoys me with litter is, it wasn't a problem for the litterer's to bring the beer, Maccy Dee's, sweet wrappers or whatever to the site, and in actual fact, they have, by the act of consuming the goods, got even less to take away with them when they leave. :mad:

Dave A A

Free Member
Jul 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Navajo
Exp
Since 2018
Not done this trip yet, is on our list. But wanted to cup in as we live in Bournemouth... I am sure you have all seen the carnage. Moho owners contributed to this but without a doubt their part was small in comparison to everyone else. The cans, nappies, etc... The bottles buried in sand. The abuse local volunteer cleaners got. Etc. Made me mad, angry and sick to my stomach. I try and stay calm but these Muppets need sorting. Maybe a new national sport..shoot the Muppet.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Sadly, it’s very much society today.

I was following a car on a busy motorway yesterday. One hand comes out of passenger side, throws can. Driver opens window, discards paper and takeaway litter from his side. Followed by the children in the back.

Same day, some woman throws a disposable nappy out of the rear of a car. When I pipped my horn, Bloke in drivers seat clenched his fist to me !.

It’s on my dash cam and I am considering sending it to the EA.
I wouldn’t be considering doing I would definitely do it, these are the same sorts of people that do the same things in lay-bys and picnic spots I.e. they just leave dirty disposable nappies, food cartons and cans and associated waste and it’s motor caravaners that get the blame.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve been following this thread with interest, we were in Italy last week and planning for 6 weeks in Greece, but SWMBO decided she’d rather be back in the UK, so planning to do the NC 500 from the middle of September, who knows what we’ll find .......I suspect that Greece is probably motorhome friendly, who knows .....

Dec 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I’ve been following this thread with interest

As have we. We're planning on doing it in October, hopefully most of the idiots will have gone home.

I think we'll need a bit of acclimatisation as I've been spoilt with the French aires for the last two months...

Sep 19, 2018
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We just spent two weeks touring Scotland in our Chasson mh, as usual poorly planned, with the assumption that we would do 2 days "wild" and one day booked in at a campsite.
We went up the East coast to JOG, across the North coast and down the west, with a couple of excursions inland a fair way. Hadn't read this thread or heard of the NC500 until then...
Anyway, our reflections on it? They have had enough of motorhomes, the parking isn't sufficient, the facilities aren't there, and for the most, the pubs, even ones listed on pubstop don't want us.
That said, it was a truly memorable trip, and even when every campsite was full over the bank holliday there was somewhere to park.
If you are self contained, or organised enough to book campsites every night carry on and do it, you will enjoy it. Hopefully you'll have better weather than we did.
Probably if I had though too hard before going we wouldn't have gone, and that would have been a shame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back