NC 500 is the bubble about to burst! (1 Viewer)

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve been doing the “NC500” for years by motorcycle, taking trips of up to 40 people, all spending money on accommodation, meals, and beers. We were welcomed everywhere. It was before they invented the name “NC500”..
Now come on, they created this thing with the intention of increasing income for locals in the area. What did they expect, success means you attract more humans, who are inherently filthy and want everything for free. This increase with the generations, who respect nothing and no one. I feel it’s backfired big style on the locals, and now see us all with the same contempt. It can’t go on, it will be stopped, and I don’t know the answer. Maybe if the vehicles don’t have there own facilities, they should be banned, but is that fair?. Maybe it should be policed more, but who is going to fund it? The wildcamping policy Scotland has at the moment will undoubtedly change, and it will be made illegal again.
I’m just glad I did all the area on the motorbike before all the Motorhomes spoilt it..
Won’t be going anywhere near it anymore.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sadly, it’s very much society today.

I was following a car on a busy motorway yesterday. One hand comes out of passenger side, throws can. Driver opens window, discards paper and takeaway litter from his side. Followed by the children in the back.

Same day, some woman throws a disposable nappy out of the rear of a car. When I pipped my horn, Bloke in drivers seat clenched his fist to me !.

It’s on my dash cam and I am considering sending it to the EA.
Send it,,BUSBY.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If the local tourist board want the visitors then they’ll going to have to pay for the consequences.... it’s the same with Cornwall and any other popular destination, when all the tourists have gone home it’s the locals that have to deal with it and pay the council tax...

and the generation that causes most of the problems is the fault of their fore fathers for banishing discipline and bringing up snowflakes that like to spout their environmental goodness on social media to look good when in fact when no ones looking it’s them that are destroying it around them...

the law (as in the courts) is too soft....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Doing a tour of Scotland at the moment and using the toad to get around. Have been to tongue today, and travelling anti clockwise around the coast towards and as far as Kinlochbervie, we haven’t seen any wrong doings whatsoever, and I wouldn’t even say it’s all that busy, especially for the time of year. The busiest place we have passed through being the silver sands at Morar Bay. Busy like I’ve never seen it, and some of the parking, mainly by cars was shall we say not ideal. Just going by what we saw on this one day.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's looking like motorhomers are getting all the stick for rubbish etc when in fact it appears to be more the fault of "ignorant" car drivers/families - "ignorant" because they don't have any idea and nobody has made any effort to enlighten them of the Countryside Rules which the vast majority of us m/h owners live by. Coupled with our throwaway society it's not hard to see why it happens, regardless of how the younger generations have been brought up.

I forecast this situation long ago when NC500 was first announced. I read an article yesterday somewhere that the Scottish Tourist Board are about to spend yet more money to "promote" Scotland which IMO would be better spent in educating the tourist masses - but won't be of course because that's not part of their remit and probably not even allowed in their spending rules.

I see in the article mentioned above that additional overnighting facilities are being mentioned, specifically identifying French aires as an example. Pity that your average local councillor won't take any notice, preferring to listen to his electorate moan and not "be able" to do anything about it "without more money".

To be honest I don't know why I'm even bothering to comment on here, nobody "official" ever has or ever will do anything actively constructive. It's a lost cause and Scotland will be the eventual losers.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My mate who lives on Mull was just complaining today about the number of "Bloody Tourists" as there has been an outbreak of Covid in Oban. Whether it was brought in or home grown remains to be seen ?

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We are overnighting overlooking Munlochy Bay tonight, it’s a beautiful spot, we pitched up and had to open the awning for some shade, there are now 2 van conversions park near us, 1 German and one Scottish, neither have toilets etc, they are both using the green areas around the parking, one one side is a group of trees with loads of human waste and used toilet roll.

A number of cars passing are sounding their horns, which I can only assume is a sign of disapproval.

I wonder if the locals aren’t happy with the tourists while not getting the income?

Either way our trip is around the UK, didn’t come for the NC500 and tomorrow we’ll be leaving it with no regrets of doing so.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh well, the NC500 was a good idea....... would liked to have done it but won’t go near it now :(

I suppose Wales will be next on the “overcrowd” list...... which will be a shame

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
It seems very odd to devise and promote a specific route and then complain about people following it. It’s backers include NTS and Scottish Tourism.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Oh well, the NC500 was a good idea....... would liked to have done it but won’t go near it now :(

I suppose Wales will be next on the “overcrowd” list...... which will be a shame

too late for Snowdonia David, it’s already happening ..https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/visitors-flout-parking-rules-snowdonia-18653836

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Went up Pen y fan today. Full of Welsh people going up and down.

Everyone parking sensibly. (y)(y)(y)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I’ve been doing the “NC500” for years by motorcycle, taking trips of up to 40 people, all spending money on accommodation, meals, and beers. We were welcomed everywhere. It was before they invented the name “NC500”..
Now come on, they created this thing with the intention of increasing income for locals in the area. What did they expect, success means you attract more humans, who are inherently filthy and want everything for free. This increase with the generations, who respect nothing and no one. I feel it’s backfired big style on the locals, and now see us all with the same contempt. It can’t go on, it will be stopped, and I don’t know the answer. Maybe if the vehicles don’t have there own facilities, they should be banned, but is that fair?. Maybe it should be policed more, but who is going to fund it? The wildcamping policy Scotland has at the moment will undoubtedly change, and it will be made illegal again.
I’m just glad I did all the area on the motorbike before all the Motorhomes spoilt it..
Won’t be going anywhere near it anymore.

This is a good example of the kind of tourism Scotland would welcome, I was once told the 500 route was planned with bikers in mind. Nevertheless bikers need as stated above, accommodation, food and drink, they probably spend £100 plus per night all in. On the other hand the white boxes roll into town tanks full of fuel purchased at a supermarket and fridges full of Aldi food, what are they likely to spend on a stopover ?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
As a person who lives up here on the NC500 route, I'm pretty fed up with it, nothing but people moaning about the campers, visitors, people who say they won't come here for whatever reason, the mess etc etc etc

It's getting to be a joke, and you know what ???

WE DIDN'T ASK FOR ALL THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I’m a very Patriotic Scott BUT Feel disappointed with the Scottish government, inviting tourists to our lovely highlands , taking their money , In some place’s removing facilities instead of creating them , It wasn’t that long ago they were great full for the £20 a nigh for b&b , now they have become greedy only wanting the easy cash , instead of creating infrastructure for the volumes of people we Invited their answer is tax them to reduce numbers , in France villagers thank you for visiting , In the Most part the Scottish highlands Don’t want us , the french welcome me & appreciate my money SO they Get it

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I would have liked to have done this but it sounds as if I have missed the boat and left it too late. I have been up the East coast and half way along the top on another trip to the Scottish Smallbore Rifle Meeting up in Caithness.

So having promoted it with great success they have failed to invest back in to cope with the increase in numbers as word has got around. Typical!

The waste problem is disgusting in terms of litter but they should have been able to provide some public toilets to cope with the visitors.

I'm afraid that I'm a great believer in the fact that if people are seen to be getting away with anything then others follow suit. There are so few police nowadays that people don't care - who is there to stop them?
The children then copy the adults and so it gets worse. Fewer people are also even less likely to remonstrate with anyone as you might get a knife in your guts for your trouble! As a result I have no interest in visiting certain parts of the country, certain cities etc. Life's too short! Unfortunately that means that I've given up and why should I care any more? If the police can no longer be bothered to sort out rioters, protestors, statue despoilers, asian paedophile rings, kneel to BLM protesters and apologise to people guilty of road traffic offences what hope is there for any of us?

In fact I do care and I am always on Twitter banging on about all of this and how the country is going to the dogs to Ministers and the like but it all seems to fall on deaf ears. The other day even the Conservative Home Secretary announced staff training for the Home office on diversity, complained of being the only face of colour in the room, and would be introducing BAME short lists to fill vacancies with non whites. If that's not racist I don't know what is. The best candidate should always get the job regardless of colour otherwise we end up with a second rate team! I saw a photo of the chief civil servant and his Home Office team a while go. About 20 of them but only 2 white faces and one of those has now been forced out! Where is it all going to end?

Sorry for the rant - only had 1 glass of wine I promise!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Seen it coming motorhoming as we know it is over we have seen sum of our wilding spots destroyed by morons in camper van's
We had got a boat project before covid just as sumthing difrant to do but for this year it's probably going to be our only holiday this year.
We can't get any booking for sites or cl's relay struggling this year hopefully most of the liter bug will have buggerd of by next year
bill

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Love NW Scotland toured and explored over many years, worked up there the last 13 years prior to retirement in 2012 but have no intention of returning till this madness is over. Local rallies hereabouts in the Northumberland region and Spain for a few months ( fingers crossed booking already made) in September. It’s not a tourist tax they need but more investment in facilities by the local regions else they will lose it all. Provide low cost Aire type sites and reap the income it’s not hard is it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
IMO its unfair to totally blame motorhomes for this. While there are some freeloaders out there in motorhomes, most of the ones we ve encountered are reasonable folk whose main aim is to have a nice time. We like nothing better than to have a nice meal in a pub and then walk back to the motorhome, the problem arises if you have to get back to a campsite - particularly in Scotland.

I think whoever set this up failed to think it through. The issues with Wildcamping have been there for years and not just with motorhomes. It was fairly obvious from the start that some increases in capacity were required. They could easily have nominated some carparks as 'overnight permitted' as they do in Portree ( at least they did when we visited a few years ago). They could also have convinced some of the garages to set up dump stations (payable) as they do in NZ. In these ways you take control of the issues and make it a more pleasant and accessible experience for everyone.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Littering has been an 'issue' for a very long time...
The government has spent a lot of money on public information films over the decades

70's

50 years ago... half a century!
So has the problem got worse, or are we just noticing it more because of the 'green' message?

Definitely got worse until Covid19 lockdown...Noticed rubbish is now reappearing and its mainly McDonalds,KFC, empty cans etc...Shame they unlocked take aways..I can easily live without any of them..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I’m a very Patriotic Scott BUT Feel disappointed with the Scottish government, inviting tourists to our lovely highlands , taking their money , In some place’s removing facilities instead of creating them , It wasn’t that long ago they were great full for the £20 a nigh for b&b , now they have become greedy only wanting the easy cash , instead of creating infrastructure for the volumes of people we Invited their answer is tax them to reduce numbers , in France villagers thank you for visiting , In the Most part the Scottish highlands Don’t want us , the french welcome me & appreciate my money SO they Get it
Difference is the Motorhomers who seem to visit France are very respectful of their surroundings and appreciate the facilities provided. Should be there hopefully in Sept. BUSBY.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Much of the attraction of the NC500 is the route takes you through very sparsely populated areas. You can go miles and miles between settlements that in most parts of the UK would barely qualify for the description of hamlet.

The blame must lie at those who arrive ill equipped for the environment, and who are unwilling to accept the lack of amenity is why they came, and that they need to take their crap away with them.

But many in this thread bemoan the lack of facilities available, and lay the blame for the abuse at that lack of facilities. A magic wand would be to provide aires, pay the locals to provide dump points and so on.

The motorhomer (and we know from even funsters there are many unwilling to use their own facilities) should be able to survive 2-3 days, probably more between full service campsites. Some motorhomes and tuggers are a part of the problem, but campervans, cars that want to pitch tents, will be a bigger issue as they don't have the waste facilities. The answer won't be that motorhome aires are needed (many funsters seem to be quite blinkered that only MH's matter). Instead there will need to be greater provision of full facility campsites, but those will detract from the unspoilt undeveloped character of the route.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Difference is the Motorhomers who seem to visit France are very respectful of their surroundings and appreciate the facilities provided. Should be there hopefully in Sept. BUSBY.

me too 🙏 , heading over for 4 weeks , booked the tunnel for 28th aug
Will be chasing the sun so will probably Be heading towards the Limousin/ Lot / dordogne area
conditions Allowing 🤔

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Much of the attraction of the NC500 is the route takes you through very sparsely populated areas. You can go miles and miles between settlements that in most parts of the UK would barely qualify for the description of hamlet.

The blame must lie at those who arrive ill equipped for the environment, and who are unwilling to accept the lack of amenity is why they came, and that they need to take their crap away with them.

But many in this thread bemoan the lack of facilities available, and lay the blame for the abuse at that lack of facilities. A magic wand would be to provide aires, pay the locals to provide dump points and so on.

The motorhomer (and we know from even funsters there are many unwilling to use their own facilities) should be able to survive 2-3 days, probably more between full service campsites. Some motorhomes and tuggers are a part of the problem, but campervans, cars that want to pitch tents, will be a bigger issue as they don't have the waste facilities. The answer won't be that motorhome aires are needed (many funsters seem to be quite blinkered that only MH's matter). Instead there will need to be greater provision of full facility campsites, but those will detract from the unspoilt undeveloped character of the route.
The trouble with a full service campsite is that it requires significant investment and is not flexible, ie a 100 pitch campsite is a single use item,and requires year round maintenance. whereas a car park that allows self contained vehicles to stop over is essier to provide and more flexible. Again I'm looking at NZ being a great example

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Having just done most of the NC500 route while on our around the UK trip I don’t think camp sites are the problem or fix.

The main issues seem to be between Durness and Dunnett, where the roads are very rural and very narrow in places, at Skerray for example there are no facilities, narrow roads and lovely views. And no where to build a touring park.

But of all the vans parked there bumper to bumper we didn’t see one single Motorhome only camper vans, day vans and tents.

Its a lovely spot but with so many people camping without running water and toilets (I understand some may have) it’s a recipe for disaster, why or why do people do this?

There’s a renown old building with boats and pictures on the wall there, you wouldn’t want to walk into it now believe me.

A guy parked next to it in a VW van was using it while I parked and didn’t give a toss that we could see him, and I’ll tell you now he won’t be using an official site any more than he used hot water before returning to his other half to continue his lunch.

The issue isn’t the route, or the facilities it’s simple a lack of respect.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Like many other places the idea about providing facilities runs into the same problem.

At present the funds would have to come from LAs but the facilities would not be for local people, but outsiders.

The locals could object to their taxes being spent for outsiders and the executive are aware that it is those locals that vote for them.

I cannot see this being resolved unless Regional or Central authorities take responsibility.

The expenditure would have to be justified long-term, but NC500 might just be a fashion for a few years.

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Like many other places the idea about providing facilities runs into the same problem.

At present the funds would have to come from LAs but the facilities would not be for local people, but outsiders.

The locals could object to their taxes being spent for outsiders and the executive are aware that it is those locals that vote for them.

I cannot see this being resolved unless Regional or Central authorities take responsibility.

The expenditure would have to be justified long-term, but NC500 might just be a fashion for a few years.

Geoff

I agree, but it doesnt need to cost very much.

NZ has lots of freedom camping places, in the main they are car parks where you re allowed to stay if you have a 'self-contained vehicle' sticker issued by the NZMCA. If you are found overnighting without one you are whacked with a 500 dollars fine ( I think). The dump stations are taken care of by garages (paid) and some public stations (usually free) The whole thing can be self financing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back