Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Hi,

Any recommendations for MH TVs? New to this but the selection seems a bit sparse and expensive.

Avtex seem highly regarded (with prices to match) and loads of Cello on ebay and amazon but have read some terrible reviews.

Any other brands anyone can recommend?

Also have read something about possibly running a Samsung with an external power brick and running it straight from a 12v supply, has anyone done this?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
An Avtex with built in Sat decoder is probably the best and if you buy from John Lewis you will get a 5 year guarantee.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've had an 18" Samsung TV about 5 years now and it's great. Viewing angle good and plays all video formats off memory stick. It's 230v only so run it off a very efficient small pure sine wave inverter when not on ehu.

A 12v one should work OK off the 13.8v van charger/leisure battery voltage. I'd be very surprised if it made any difference. Disclaimer - Just my opinion :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a couple of Vision Plus tv’s and am pleased with them.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Avtex for me - the Series 9 are a big improvement on the Seies 8 (dual tuners!) , and would also buy from John Lewis for the extended guarantee.......

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
we have an Alphatronics 'smart tv' no idea what it can do yet as the remote does not connect to the tv! Has a remote keyboard which I am confused about how that works. I also assume it will work when not hooked up to power? It is connected to an Oyster V with auto skew.
Cannot see a dvd slot so not sure what I need to do to add one of these.
Anybody got of one of these that could give me a few tips?

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Another Cello, came with two external power packs (one 12 volt one 240 volt) so covers all bases. Fairly easy to use and tune in to freeview channels plus with USB stick you can record/pause and playback as well.

Tip: I use a signal strength meter first to find best position with aerial first, makes life so much easier IMHO

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
What model number is your Alphatronics tv, Pandas?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
An Avtex with built in Sat decoder is probably the best and if you buy from John Lewis you will get a 5 year guarantee.

I will second that.

I had trouble with one model, John Lewis Changed it. Replacement was the same. A new model had come out, John Lewis sent me that and a £50 refund.

Been working great for some years now.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Ok...so it’s a 32” 12/230v tv..... with a DVD player slot on the right-hand side?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Blimey haven’t seen the slot - I will check thank you.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Couldn’t find a mention of the ‘keyboard’ - but the manual was in German, so I probably missed it!

I believe your tv also has 3 tuners, is full-hd, has a ‘CI’ slot for pay tv, a USB port and Bluetooth...... and would cost about £600 in this country.......

I assume the manual is not available to you?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
we have an Alphatronics 'smart tv' no idea what it can do yet as the remote does not connect to the tv! Has a remote keyboard which I am confused about how that works. I also assume it will work when not hooked up to power? It is connected to an Oyster V with auto skew.
Cannot see a dvd slot so not sure what I need to do to add one of these.
Anybody got of one of these that could give me a few tips?

Yes we also have an Alphatronics and cant see a DVD slot either., just bought the van this April and the TV was already in there, also coupled to an Oyster, although we can only get German TV at the minute.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Couldn’t find a mention of the ‘keyboard’ - but the manual was in German, so I probably missed it!

I believe your tv also has 3 tuners, is full-hd, has a ‘CI’ slot for pay tv, a USB port and Bluetooth...... and would cost about £600 in this country.......

I assume the manual is not available to you?

Thanks again, just checked and there is a slot on the right hand side which I assume is the dvd. Yes I have a manual but it doesn't say anything about this or what the 3 tuners are for? The manual is a mini version of the of the German instructions so difficult to follow. Also difficult to play around with the remote not connecting to the TV!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
The remote not connecting to the tv.......could be the remote’s batteries, perhaps?
Can you manually turn-on the tv (on/off button?) and see if the remote will turn it off?
When you plug the tv in, is there a red light on it anywhere to show that it is in ‘standby’ mode?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
....having re-read the manual, there should be a blue light when in standby, and no light when the tv is on.....!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thanks again, just checked and there is a slot on the right hand side which I assume is the dvd. Yes I have a manual but it doesn't say anything about this or what the 3 tuners are for? The manual is a mini version of the of the German instructions so difficult to follow. Also difficult to play around with the remote not connecting to the TV!
If you Go online there will be a user manual available, if it’s in German goggle can translate it for you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never had anything which didn't come off the shelf at a supermarket.
Decent viewing angles, decent audio.
Cheap enough to replace if anything goes wrong, but it never has.
I'm sat in the kitchen at home watching a 24" LOGIK (12V/240V)) which started life in our van 8 years ago.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Bought one of these a while back after finding the cello too small

No longer available at richer sounds but seen elsewhere .
Works fine off of a small inverter and built in sat tuner
Wfm.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The remote not connecting to the tv.......could be the remote’s batteries, perhaps?
Can you manually turn-on the tv (on/off button?) and see if the remote will turn it off?
When you plug the tv in, is there a red light on it anywhere to show that it is in ‘standby’ mode?
Yes tried the normal stuff thanks, I can use the TV manually from some switches on the back but cannot configure anything. Been frustrating as the tv is now also not talking to the sound system (more is the Radio) so the only way to hear the TV is to pull the sound system jack plug and listen through the TV speakers. The dealer is due to look at it soon. I think I will need to wait until the remote is up and running again before I can understand it more but thank you for your feedback.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
I can see that without the remote, your options are very limited as to configuring/using the tv!
Good luck with the dealer...and I’d be interested to know what their conclusion and fix is.

Regards

Andy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Had a 19" Cello Traveller in the last van fitted a 22" one in this van. No problems good value for money.
The first Cello Travellers got a bad, and deserved, reputation for poor viewing angles and a sound problem. The next version cured both. That was probably 15 years ago. They were also one of the first to include a DVB-S tuner - ideal for MH satellite users. Their TVs after the early model have been excellent.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first Cello Travellers got a bad, and deserved, reputation for poor viewing angles and a sound problem. The next version cured both. That was probably 15 years ago. They were also one of the first to include a DVB-S tuner - ideal for MH satellite users. Their TVs after the early model have been excellent.
Only downside is the sat tuner, takes over 20 min to tune and each time you change satellites it looses your favourites and previous sat settings. I use a Icecyrpt with mine.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Yes tried the normal stuff thanks, I can use the TV manually from some switches on the back but cannot configure anything. Been frustrating as the tv is now also not talking to the sound system (more is the Radio) so the only way to hear the TV is to pull the sound system jack plug and listen through the TV speakers. The dealer is due to look at it soon. I think I will need to wait until the remote is up and running again before I can understand it more but thank you for your feedback.
Maybe tyt e mailing Alphatronics. I did just that and got a helpful response to additional setting I requested with a full English manual for our tv. Not just the shortened quick start guide.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Only downside is the sat tuner, takes over 20 min to tune and each time you change satellites it looses your favourites and previous sat settings. I use a Icecyrpt with mine.
I'm a single satellite man myself so I've never noticed :D:D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back