Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I've never felt the need for sat nav in 45 years of truck driving but this motorhoming is a differant ball game some camp grounds can be difficult to find so question is which one do i want .... you tell me :thumb:

P

pharvey1

Deleted User
I would say Tom Tom, or Tom to his mates..... simple and easy to use, update etc and can pick up at a good price these days. Looks like you can get some real wizz ones, but my Tom Tom One seems find.

However when planning your getaway, why not have a look at the site on Google earth, interesting to usem you can see access roads, locality etc and also pick up on the things never mentioned like a nearby industrial estate, railway line etc. :Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Tom Tom Tony (hey that rhymes:roflmto:)

Best get safety/speed cameras after hearing of you blasting down the motorways:winky::ROFLMAO:

Being serious now I would go the Tom Tom route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I've never felt the need for sat nav in 45 years of truck driving but this motorhoming is a differant ball game some camp grounds can be difficult to find so question is which one do i want .... you tell me :thumb:

Just got a Garmin Nuvi 250 & so far so good.

Got me to Grange Park last weekend when I hear others came various different ways :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long

Hi Tony,

I managed 55 years before having a sat nav and now I've got a Garmin 350. :Smile: I found with advancing years it's a big help in finding places in urban areas especially when going solo.:thumb:

There's a big bonus as well, it don't cry when I shout at it. :Eeek::Eeek:

Don

Last edited:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
i`ll go with Don on this one

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Hi,we have the 350 as well best money spent,you can also down load POI`s like cc&club sites, Air`s in France also ones for Gremany buy the camper stop book put poi on to SD card load it in the sat nav and away you go.john

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Tony,

I managed 55 years before having a sat nav and now I've got a Garmin 350. :Smile: I found with advancing years it's a big help in finding places in urban areas especially when going solo.:thumb:

There's a big good bonus as well, it don't cry when I shout at it. :Eeek::Eeek:

Don

Your a bully Don. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
:thumb::thumb::thumb: Hi,we have the 350 as well best money spent,you can also down load POI`s like cc&club sites, Air`s in France also ones for Gremany buy the camper stop book put poi on to SD card load it in the sat nav and away you go.john

Hi John,

That's way above my pay scale. :Eeek: I load them one at a time.:Eeek:

Don

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi Tony,

I'd definately recommend TomTom. We have the Go 910 and are really pleased with it.You are spoilt for choice with the amount of POI's to download. I've downloaded many including all the French aires, the Stelplatz in Germany, Caravan Club sites and also C L's, low bridges and many, many more things!!
You just need to use common sense when using it (if the road looks too narrow-Don't go) and cross check with an atlas when planning your route.:thumb:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
sat nav

angie and keith can you tell me how to find and download the information you have downloaded on to your tom tom ie aires,sites and low bridges etc
ps not an expert on pc thanks for any help you can give me

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi dewaltman,
Here are a couple of sites I've used where you can find free TomTom downloads: Link Removed and also Pocket GPS World. Also you can google for free TomTom downloads.

For the caravan club POI's I used :jollyinteresting.

For the French aires I used www.camping-car.infos.com.- on the first page click on cliquez pour enter (in the middle of the page) then on the next page on the left side click on synchronisation coordonnees GPS and then on the next page at the bottom click on Fichierzip pour TomTom.

Also now you can download quite a few from your TomTom home when you connect your TomTom to it.

This is the way I've downloaded to my TomTom;(here I'm using the french aires as an example)

First of all create a new folder on your PC and call it TomTom POI's.

Having sourced the web site - CCinfos - click on 'cliquez pour entrer' and then on the left side column you will see 'synchronisation coordonnees GPS'. Click on it and scroll the resulting page to find 'Fichier Zip' in green print. Click on TomTom 'Fichiers pour TT (.ov2)' and when file download prompts, click 'save' and save it to your readily available folder.
Go to the folder and locate the 'zipped' file = 'Aires-CCinfos-TomTom'. Open this file. Under 'folder tasks' on left side, click on 'extract files'. This produces 'extraction wizard' with file option to save to (TT POI's as above). Click 'next' and then 'finish'.
Return to your TT POI's folder where you will now find a 'new folder' containing the 'unzipped' files which you require for transfer to TT.

Open this folder, reduce it and move to one side of your screen (A).
Connect TT to your PC. Now go to 'my computer' - locate TT icon and click on the icon. On the resulting page, open the folder 'Western Europe Map' (or whatever). Reduce the size. You now have two reduced pages on your screen.

Go back to the donor page (A) and click on 'edit' then 'select all'.
Nearly there - drag the selection onto the map page and the job is done.

After disonnecting TT from the PC, leave it for a few minutes to enable the download to 'sort itself' before switching off.

I hope this makes sense,
Good luck :thumb: (it's quite easy once you've done it a few times)

Angie :Smile:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Tony,
I don't know how urgent your requirement is but the next generation of satnavs are starting to arrive. TeleAtlas mapping now has the optional data on road restrictions. There are already a couple of them out that really do avoid low bridges and weight limits. Can't be long before the rest follow suit.

Regards
Doug

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Tony,

There is now one on the market for Commercial vehicles that has low bridges, weight restrictions etc, and I think if I was getting one I could use it in the M/H and Coach. A bit more expensive just now but it will come down in price.

David

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Tony, I now have tt but much prefered the garmin :ROFLMAO: In my mind the garmin gave better Distructions not letting you, say turn left in 80 yds then 5 yds later saying you missed :Eeek: turn around :ROFLMAO:All I want to do is go from A to B so never realy bothered with poi type things and probably do not use it fully.:ROFLMAO:I may get around to it when i am bored but for now in my mind garmin rules :thumb:
terry
ps I think garmin have bought tt or is it the other way around :ROFLMAO::thumb:

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
hi tony i just brought tom tom 510 with blootooth with full europe maps irland etc brand new from ebay with full tom tom back up if it gowes wrong £150 diliverd ::bigsmile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have both Tomtom and Garmin.
The tomtom is the 'original' and has never gone wrong in the five years I have had it. It is well looked after by third party POI authors and is very user friendly. You can also make 'itinary' routes with many waymarks.
The downside is, it makes more mistakes(?) and tends to take you down more unsuitable routes than the Garmin. The aftersales can sometimes be found wanting.
The Garmin is an all singing and dancing affair. Its bluetooth and acts as a hands free phone device. Has realtime traffic updates, MP3 player, translator, etc,etc.
It takes a more sensible approach to suitable roads, but not foolproof! Locates satellites faster and under cover. However only one waymark can be designated.
If you buy from Halfords and have a problem they will exchange for a new unit there and then no questions asked!

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
garmin for me tony ive a nuvi 670 hands free phone,mp3,photo store.audible book player,calculator,language guide,travel guide,world clock, currency converter,unit coverter,speed cams was already loaded.does what it says on the tin plus never needed add on ariel picks up sat easy evan with big overhead cab like we have, play it through the stero:thumb:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
go for the Garmin nuvi

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Had my 350 about 3 years best money i have spent,it had 2005 maps to start with but now i got an update cd Free from there webb site so now have to 2007 map up date on the 350.You can down load all the POI`s you would like onto am SD card and away you go all free. We had TT to start with BUT then sold it on ebay no thank you.
john

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Tony,

There is now one on the market for Commercial vehicles that has low bridges, weight restrictions etc, and I think if I was getting one I could use it in the M/H and Coach. A bit more expensive just now but it will come down in price.

David

I presume you are talking about the Navevo Pronav, David.

I was thinking of getting one until I discovered, by phoning Navevo, that purchasers will not be able to add their own PoIs - and it will be an undefined time before the facility is available.

Graham

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Navigator 8 has truck limitations (height, length, axle and overall weight) built into it AND allows you to import your own POIs.
It's available for Windows XP/Vista, Mobile 5 for PDAs and Smartphones and ME for dedicated devices. They're available with 3", 4.3" and I'm currently testing a 7" version.
I've just done 450 miles testing it along and it performed admirably although, like most sat navs, it was keen to cut corners. The major difference being that you knew you could get though!
I love the lane lollipops showing which lane you should be in as you approach junctions, If I'm being really nitpicky I'd prefer to see them earlier than they're currently displayed.
Being a comparatively small company Mapfactor are able to take suggestions on board and come up with enhancements in very short order.
You can see the whole of the Navigator range on Directions Website but as I'm still an authorised reseller I can offer a 10% discount on their products.

Regards
Doug

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I recommend TomTom. I am on my second one as my first was nicked from my car. Very intuitive to use, it has a big instruction book which I've never needed to read.
It has only a few sites in UK (Caravan clb only) and in France but has loads in Spain for some reason.
I have also downloaded the free Aires in France which has proved very useful the last few weeks.

It uses a SD card, cheap and sold evrywhere, which you can replace with a bigger one so you can add in all the good places you find so you can find them again!:thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Tony,

Pro Nav seems a good price from Maplins especially with the discount vouchers.
Can you get European mapping for it ?. Like to know how you get on with it.

David

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Tony,

Pro Nav seems a good price from Maplins especially with the discount vouchers.
Can you get European mapping for it ?. Like to know how you get on with it.

David

Hi David

yes mate mine came with UK & European mapping already loaded

I test drove it today in my car went staight passed the turning for my destination then i realised it was on mute couldn't hear the instructions :Doh:
Tried it with sound on no probs :thumb:

It also has "preffered Routes" designed for trucks takes you on wider roads and out of town centres

Hope this helps

Tony

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Tony,
We bought Tom Tom 710? after going round Cardiff three times looking for Ikea when we were staging a house. Massive row in the car on the third attempt to find Ikea. Back seat driver daughter said " It's Tom Tom or a divorce!"
Very pleased with ours called Sally Traffic.

Only time it let us down was going back to the gite from supermarket in Cahors town. I pressed shortest route instead of fastest route out of curiosity:RollEyes:.

Big mistake. The road got smaller and smaller , more rutted gave out and finally we seemed to be driving on a sandy path. Luckily some pedestrians were near and ,saying we were lost, I asked them where we were. " Oh, madame, you are on the grande randonne 65 hiking trail":Eeek:
Well I did press the wrong button....
Lucille

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Tony,

Thanks for that info, it sounds like a good piece of kit. I seem to be getting sent further on coach trips now, and it could be useful to have. Off to Strasbourg and Black Forest next week as a two man job for a bit of experience.:thumb:

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back