Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
I was informed by the nice man at the Phantom stand at the NEC show last week that if I leave the UK with my van then I must inform Phantom at least 2 days in advance of departure otherwise my tracker will not work outside of the UK!

Needless to say the dealer did not tell me this when I bought the van - Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a search of the forums and could not find a similar posting

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have traffic master Trackstar and when i phoned them they said it really does not matter if i tell them where i am going in their monitored countries. i would guess most of them use the same monitoring system. but Eddie vanbitz would know better than i.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi
We have had a Phantom Tracker for 5 years and have never told them when we are leaving the UK, in fact we were in a french supermarket nr Calais when we got a phone call on mobile saying our van was in the supermarket car park, Mick had forgot to turn off the tracker when we left the aire :Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
We have had a Phantom Tracker for 5 years and have never told them when we are leaving the UK, in fact we were in a french supermarket nr Calais when we got a phone call on mobile saying our van was in the supermarket car park, Mick had forgot to turn off the tracker when we left the aire :Doh::Doh:

help please, " turn off" the tracker? i dont even know where mine is:Blush:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are loads of different trackers that work differently. I can send a text to mine to turn off the movement alarm, though even turned off it can still be tracked.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have a Phantom tracker and have never heard of this.
Must check the info to see if it mentions it. :thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We had Phantom Tracker on our last van - never told them when we were overseas.
We sometimes forgot to turn the motion sensor off when we got back in the van so had the odd :Eeek: phonecall off them asking if we were with the van.
The first time we were north of the Arctic Circle in Norway and they pinpointed our location! No mention of having to tell them we were going!

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I was informed by the nice man at the Phantom stand at the NEC show last week that if I leave the UK with my van then I must inform Phantom at least 2 days in advance of departure otherwise my tracker will not work outside of the UK!

Needless to say the dealer did not tell me this when I bought the van - Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a search of the forums and could not find a similar posting

I found that mentioned in the info on their site ... hope this helps

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We had Phantom Tracker on our last van - never told them when we were overseas.
We sometimes forgot to turn the motion sensor off when we got back in the van so had the odd :Eeek: phonecall off them asking if we were with the van.
The first time we were north of the Arctic Circle in Norway and they pinpointed our location! No mention of having to tell them we were going!

This has to prove that it works ... yes ?

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Phil

As Penelope says its the motion sensor that you turn off not the tracker itself

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
This has to prove that it works ... yes ?

Yes it works but they did get a**y with us when we set it off a few times in the space of a few months! Then one day we set it off and didn't hear the phone - probably going through a bad signal area - and they suspended our service! Had a heated call with them about how we have paid for that service and how the motion sensor was extremely sensitive and went off when we got in the van and shut the door sometimes!
Had several other issues with them regarding not asking for a password when they rang us etc etc

Needless to say we haven't got their system on our new van :winky:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Phantom works using Pay As You Go SIM cards, when you go abroad you need to tell them so they can put more money on your SIM card in case they need to track the vehicle.

As many of you know sending SMS TXT abroad is a lot more money and Phantom don't want to run the risk of the credit running out half way through a track:Eeek:

If you don't tell Phantom they cannot pre load the SIM card with credit

Hope this explains it

Eddie

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Phantom works using Pay As You Go SIM cards, when you go abroad you need to tell them so they can put more money on your SIM card in case they need to track the vehicle.

As many of you know sending SMS TXT abroad is a lot more money and Phantom don't want to run the risk of the credit running out half way through a track:Eeek:

If you don't tell Phantom they cannot pre load the SIM card with credit

Hope this explains it

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! They didn't tell us that though - not at any point in the 5 year contract we had with them. We even had a lengthy conversation at one of the motorhome shows with the owner ( sorry can't remember his name!) and he never mentioned it!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks Eddie! They didn't tell us that though - not at any point in the 5 year contract we had with them. We even had a lengthy conversation at one of the motorhome shows with the owner ( sorry can't remember his name!) and he never mentioned it!

His name is Mark. I think the problem was people taking SIM cards out of old units and making calls for free :roflmto:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
His name is Mark. I think the problem was people taking SIM cards out of old units and making calls for free :roflmto:

That's it! Mark Cheater! Nice guy but his staff aren't as nice:winky:

Don't know about the SIM cards thing - wasn't aware we had one!

Our problems were mostly with his customer (lack of!) service!!
They changed their computer system and lost all our details - even said we didn't have a password!
No point in ringing to check all is OK if you don't ask for password - van AND phone could have been stolen! No point in saying on phone " hello mr ..... just checking you are with your van and all is OK as we have just had an alert from your tracker" !!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back