Portugal - so sad (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A question for those who seem to understand these things please, does the Fulli tag cover the Via Verde or not do you know please. I do not wish to upset anyone who is welcoming me into their country. We have some pretty confusing tolls as well over here.

I am not one to spend my life avoiding spending money, sometimes I like to just get somewhere. I can be impatient with slow roads so don’t necessarily want advice on avoiding the Via Verde! We may end up on it by accident anyway.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
This time to Portugal i want to stay off the motorways/tolls not for financial reasons but i feel one sees more on the rural roads.
I'm in no rush to get anywhere.....................BUT..............if Portugal turns out to be rubbish i will be on the first slip road to a motorway/toll East if it means getting out quickly.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Nice little aire over the river at Peso de Regua but funny levels so only if your overhangs arent too long ( you would probably struggle Robert, as I think I would in this MH)
The parking along the river is flat and free😀

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yep, you were probably typing as I posted. ;)

Enjoy your trip Bob 👍 but please be aware, the non toll routes aren't the best maintained. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Again if the smaller roads are crap we jump on the nearest M/W/Toll to near where we are going.
That's the beauty of MHing eh, no set rules targets routes, change every hour if you wish.
Looking forward to it as i think it was about 30 years ago when last year, and then only the bottom end. Staying away from the bottom bit this time.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I can recommend Obidos for a day at the castle, campismo £6, and lots of restaurants and gift shops.
Tomar is well worth a stop. The free Aire is the former campsite. Only basic water and dump facilities but 2 mins walk to a shop and a riverside cafe and 5 minutes to the old town centre.

The site is often busy but rarely full!

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
You can get away with it, if you know which motorways to avoid, but, if you make a mistake, and jumped on a easy toll payment method only, you will be fined if there is no payment registered with your reg plate.
Be careful. The Portuguese have engaged the services of a company in the UK to recover unpaid tolls. They are getting a bad name for over charging the “recovery fees”. They are called EPC. Theres a few posts on fun about them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thats my complaint with the Portugese toll system, there seems to be three of them; the one we all register for, the cash only ones and then the via verde.
No there’s only two systems.

The via verde ones are the traditional “Take a Ticket, Pay on exit” DON’T use the “v” drive straight through lanes without a tag. It’s get expensive fast.

The other system is the ”electronic” gantries over the road that read your number plate and recognise the size of your vehicle.

These allow several ways to pay- the easiest of which ( in my view) is to use the Easytoll website to associate your Registration number with your credit card. Another way to do this is at certain service stations on the main routes in from Spain. Drive thorough put credit card in and they are linked. These links only last a month so remember to renew.

There are other ways to pay including buying prepaid vouchers, going to a post office (you’ll need good Portuguese ) or at the Multibanco ATMs (also not for the faint hearted)

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
As do I normally Bob, especially through France, but the Portugese tolls really are very reasonable when trying to make good progress.

Cheers,

And the toll roads are empty because folks won’t pay to use them ! (Except round the big cities like Lisbon, Porto and around the Algarfe)

It costs about €6.50 each way by car from our place to Lisbon Airport. 100km 75 mins driving. It would be 2.5 hours driving non- toll roads.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If you fancy straying into Spain then Avila is a town within a castle with 50+ turrets.

Segovia has an intact Roman Aquaduct, nearly 2000 year old, that crosses the town and rises to a height of nearly 100 feet with 167 arches. The foundations are evidently 6 metres deep! Makes Stonehenge look like a ruined garden shed!

Most Spanish large towns and cities have fabulous cathedrals e.g Burgos, Santiago de Compostela, Seville etc.
And the Segovia aquaduct does not have any mortar whatsoever holding it together, just clever engineering.

Craig

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A question for those who seem to understand these things please, does the Fulli tag cover the Via Verde or not do you know please. I do not wish to upset anyone who is welcoming me into their country. We have some pretty confusing tolls as well over here.

I am not one to spend my life avoiding spending money, sometimes I like to just get somewhere. I can be impatient with slow roads so don’t necessarily want advice on avoiding the Via Verde! We may end up on it by accident anyway.
Same thinking for us too.
We have the Fulli tag as well. Do we need to register as well?
What is the Via Verde?
Also a bit concerned about all this talk of cash fines as I do not normally carry any cash any more.
This is what website says
Pass fluidly through the toll gates identified by the “T” on a blue background in Spain or with the “V” on a green background in Portugal. Your Fulli electronic toll badge opens the way for you!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Also a bit concerned about all this talk of cash fines as I do not normally carry any cash any more.
We carry a good few Euros, just in case, but I have to tell you, that I would never hand over cash as a fine............without getting a proper official receipt. :(

Cheers,

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What is the Via Verde?
Pass fluidly through the toll gates identified by the “T” on a blue background in Spain or with the “V” on a green background in Portugal. Your Fulli electronic toll badge opens the way for you!
I’m a bit confused as to whether there are green V gates for ordinary toll roads plus something special for this Via Verde but Via Verde means green road so I’m hoping I’m just over thinking it after reading too many threads on here !!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
What is the Via Verde?

Via Verde and the V lanes/gates are one and the same. The Fulli tag will work on them.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m a bit confused as to whether there are green V gates for ordinary toll roads plus something special for this Via Verde but Via Verde means green road so I’m hoping I’m just over thinking it after reading too many threads on here !!
My thought is via verde just the name for the lanes with toll tags so a V in portugal rather than a t as in France.
The electronic ones with no toll booths or lanes, I am assuming the registration for Fulli works with them too.
Found this on Visit Portugal
Interoperability with other countries' systems
Currently, all Via-T devices (Spain) and some French devices are accepted on the national highway network, both in the exclusively electronic systems and in the traditional barriers, where lanes dedicated to Via Verde customers can be used.
The use of the service will depend on the issuer of your device, so we recommend that, before using it on Portuguese highways, you contact your issuer and confirm that the service is active.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The V gates are only if you have a tag (e.g. a Fulli). If you don’t just use the other gates. Take a ticket Pay on exit.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
No there’s only two systems.

The via verde ones are the traditional “Take a Ticket, Pay on exit” DON’T use the “v” drive straight through lanes without a tag. It’s get expensive fast.

The other system is the ”electronic” gantries over the road that read your number plate and recognise the size of your vehicle.

These allow several ways to pay- the easiest of which ( in my view) is to use the Easytoll website to associate your Registration number with your credit card. Another way to do this is at certain service stations on the main routes in from Spain. Drive thorough put credit card in and they are linked. These links only last a month so remember to renew.

There are other ways to pay including buying prepaid vouchers, going to a post office (you’ll need good Portuguese ) or at the Multibanco ATMs (also not for the faint hearted)
Thanks for the info
Having looked at Easytoll I agree it looks the best option.

However it is only valid for a month.
We are going for a month, arriving by ferry, so I know exactly what date I want it to start.
Can I buy in weeks in advance in the UK ?
or do I have to wait until we are in Spain and then register ?

(or does it work like the Dartford crossing charge and also as i discovered in Slovenia last year, you cross the border and then have 24hrs to register)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Be careful. The Portuguese have engaged the services of a company in the UK to recover unpaid tolls. They are getting a bad name for over charging the “recovery fees”. They are called EPC. Theres a few posts on fun about them.
Cannot see how that is legal now we have departed with the EU🤔🤔

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
This time to Portugal i want to stay off the motorways/tolls not for financial reasons but i feel one sees more on the rural roads.
I'm in no rush to get anywhere.....................BUT..............if Portugal turns out to be rubbish i will be on the first slip road to a motorway/toll East if it means getting out quickly.
Having worked and spent time on holiday there, it is one of the most beautiful countries to be in. As you rightly said, you can drive out if it is not to your liking. From your posts you seem to like a decent restaurant. Take a look at The Windmill in Albufiera, it is one of my all time favourites. We are hoping to get in again on this trip.
Enjoy, and safe travels all.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Having worked and spent time on holiday there, it is one of the most beautiful countries to be in. As you rightly said, you can drive out if it is not to your liking. From your posts you seem to like a decent restaurant. Take a look at The Windmill in Albufiera, it is one of my all time favourites. We are hoping to get in again on this trip.
Enjoy, and safe travels all.
Unfortunately/fortunately we won't be going near the south coast.
After Sintra and Lisbon going to Evora the East into Spain and Seville.
Thanks for the tip though.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The V gates are only if you have a tag (e.g. a Fulli). If you don’t just use the other gates. Take a ticket Pay on exit.
Ah right, I’m sorry , I did read your post which I thought made it very clear and then a few other posts seemed to add confusion as though the Via Verde was almost a super super highway with a 3rd payment system. I have Fulli which has worked in France and Italy. I’ve used tags in Spain so I should be fine. Fulli now covers them all fingers crossed.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'm hoping that when i tell the sat nav NO TOLLS i won't have any issues.

You’ll be fine Bob, I spent a month there before Xmas, the roads are fine and I used the garmin on “no tolls” with no problems whatsoever… like I’ve said before there’s not many toll roads so poodling about is great.
I don’t know why some people get in a fluster about toll roads, in all my years and miles I’ve never been diverted onto a toll road.

I’ve been flashed a few times, 😉 but have heard nothing..

IMG_0157.png

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
You’ll be fine Bob, I spent a month there before Xmas, the roads are fine and I used the garmin on “no tolls” with no problems whatsoever… like I’ve said before there’s not many toll roads so poodling about is great.
I don’t know why some people get in a fluster about toll roads, in all my years and miles I’ve never been diverted onto a toll road.

I’ve been flashed a few times, 😉 but have heard nothing..

View attachment 865928
I'm well travelled Smiffy so i can read between the lines of some. Some like to exagerate and dramatise. Not concerned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back