The Iconic tree at Sycamore Gap felled. (20 Viewers)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I strongly encourage folk to get trained before using a chainsaw... Too many folk get injured through ignorence....

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Latest I have heard is that there is an internet meme taking off that suggests the tree was cut down by unscrupulous wind farm developers as its presence in an area they want to "plant" with wind turbines could have interfered with planning permission . . . . .

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Latest I have heard is that there is an internet meme taking off that suggests the tree was cut down by unscrupulous wind farm developers as its presence in an area they want to "plant" with wind turbines could have interfered with planning permission . . . . .
I'd have thought there would be little likelyhood of turbines being permitted it that landscape, tree or no tree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Operator error - why on earth would he run the same way the tree is falling????
There are lots of folk who do stupid things with chainsaws... Many don't realise how stupid their actions are and a significant number only do it once....

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Lovely little tribute by a local lady poet
IMG_4632.jpeg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
On the local news this evening, the two suspects in the felling of the tree have made an appearance at court in Newcastle to deny the charges and have been bailed to reappear at Crown Court next month. The thing I couldn't get my head around is that the tree has been valued at over £600,000 !
A lot of the sycamore's that you will come across in everyday life will be self seeded and are technically classed as weeds and have very little intrinsic value, probably in the region of a thousandth of that quote ?
I don't know the history of that tree, whether it was deliberately planted in the late 1800's of more likely a "self seeder" that survived because sheep and cattle couldn't graze it because of it's location ?
I do agree that it's a complete act of mindless vandalism, but I'm curious as to where they got the valuation from ?
Screenshot_20240515-162939_Chrome.jpg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If you are going to buy a fully grown tree, dig it up complete with its entire root system, transport it in its entirety from wherever to a remote location in Northumberland, dig out an enourmous hole to plant it in. Probably have to hire a lot of heavy earth moving equipment and cranes to accomplish this and possibly even need to construct some temporary roads to get it to the Gap. Perhaps it does add up?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It’s the commercial/tourist value and not specifically because it’s a Sycamore tree.

All the paintings and photographs. The famous film scene, mentions in books, articles, people going to see it, on holiday, travel, the income it generated etc etc

If it had been an ancient Oak tree it would have been even more iconic and therefore valuable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back