Are CAMC finally getting the message (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Scotz, Have you tried Pillaton site in Penkridge, I flew over it on Sunday in my pals plane and it looked stunning. Plenty of space with a fishing pool, with great walks, biking paths for the lad's. Near to Penkridge and Cannock for bar's etc. Check it out as sure the prices are very competitive 👌

View attachment 769483
Penkridge and Cannock , wow that's living ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If they ditch deposits the selfish will return and pitch availability will diminish. Before they introduced deposits we had decided not to renew our membership due to the frustration over weekend availability. I understand many on the forum will never use CMC sites, are negative towards those that use EHU but looking around the site I am on today probably 60% of vehicles are Motorhomes or vans and all are hooked up to mains power. We will never wild camp always use sites of some description.
They are probably hooked up because they have had to pay for it.
When we have been to haven ,we have hooked up because it's in the tenner not because we need it.

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
CAMC had the most successful booking system ever and changed it. We were hooked on it.

My wife always booked the club site, flexibility. Was 90% club sites last year . This year be 90% private sites.

Feel the club did us a favour. Made us open our eyes and book elsewhere. Realise now that so many private sites have more facilities, pools, bar, etc. For less money.....

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Since the deposit system came in it’s become much easier to make bookings at a reasonable 2-3 weeks ahead of travel. Previously it was very frustrating finding weekends especially fully booked but then often spaces magically appearing the day before due to late cancellations and no-shows, so I’m all for it.
Is that because of the deposit system - or because people won't pay the huge site price increases and cannot be bothered to negotiate the dreadful online booking system?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Made me think.
I looked at a couple of nights in CAMC Broadway or Cirencester for July.
Both had availability which I put down to either the deposit system or prices.
They are usually fully booked?
I went to Broadway October 2021 - hardly peak and paid £18.80
This year, same period = £25.40 [for solo]
Plus 35% in 2 years
I don't think so :shake:.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
My membership ended 31st May but I got the email too !
Inspite of the PR bullsh@t in their annual report centred they havent got the message yet, they need to permanently reduce prices to pre Covid levels, sort the booking site and become a more empathetic organisation servicing customers needs.
I’m with you.
Our membership ends in July already cancelled as in Europe till September.
Until they drop prices and consider how motorhomes are used I’m out.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
and consider how motorhomes are used
I do wonder if "funsters" are typical of the way the majority of motorhome users actually use their vehicles? Or whether they use them as four wheeled caravans mainly pitched on sites?
My main reason for having a motorhome is convenience, little or no setting up and I don't like towing.

Nov 27, 2020
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
I reluctantly rejoined CAMC (left following TV programme) but needed a site close to Hebden Bridge decided not to use the club site but opted for a CL even closer at considerable less cost. Excellent site and perfect. on the way back from Northumberland used a CL at Solihull again great site at less cost than Club sites. The CCC sites we have used recently the facilities are getting tired, and it seems that they are employing more assistants. There also seems to be little prudence in expenditure (replacing a complete Tap rather than just the washer being case in point) .
I will now decide which club to remain with and do more research with regard to using CL or CS sites rather than the overpriced Club Sites

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I do wonder if "funsters" are typical of the way the majority of motorhome users actually use their vehicles? Or whether they use them as four wheeled caravans mainly pitched on sites?
My main reason for having a motorhome is convenience, little or no setting up and I don't like towing.
I have no problem with that.
Feel free to use your motorhome as a caravan.

We changed from a caravan for the freedom to change our minds at a moment’s notice. The caravan club do not allow that.

Maybe a rebranding to The Caravan and use your Motorhome like a Caravan Club.
This would be a lot clearer definition of what they are.
If you are happy with what they do and the prices they charge then fine by me.

I’m not a member now and the near £60 membership I’ve just saved is paying for stops in France and at the current rate will last 6 weeks.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
But the CAMC own data shows motorhomers have shorter stays and move around more. Yes, some will stay for two weeks in one place just as some caravans tour around, but it is about the generality. I suspect more members on this forum move and tour more than CAMC site users. But maybe a difference between those who post and those who just view the forum.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Good (y)
Thank you :cool:
We changed from a caravan for the freedom to change our minds at a moment’s notice. The caravan club do not allow that.
Nor do many sites [ club or not ] that require pre-booking :rolleyes:
But it's possible if you just turn up and pay per night [ assuming there's any availability ]
Maybe a rebranding to The Caravan and use your Motorhome like a Caravan Club
Ha ha, funny.
As above, I really do appreciate your approval
I’m not a member now and the near £60 membership
Neither am I ;)
I’ve just saved is paying for stops in France and at the current rate will last 6 weeks.
How far does £60 get you on the tunnel/ferry :whistle2:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Maybe a rebranding to The Caravan and use your Motorhome like a Caravan Club.
This would be a lot clearer definition of what they are.

I’m not a member now and the near £60 membership I’ve just saved is paying for stops in France and at the current rate will last 6 weeks.
Each to their own.
Doesn't make one right and one wrong.
Maybe the Club should make it a maximum of, say, 2 nights stay to show they are thinking of motorhomes?:whistle2::wink::giggler:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our thoughts are when travelling around we don't always know where we end up, that's the freedom of owning a motorhome, whilst touring around you might quite like to stay in an area longer or move on to somewhere else, so any site that has a minimum of 2 or 3 nights stay doesn't work for us, it's purely for their convenience not the customer.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
But the CAMC own data shows motorhomers have shorter stays and move around more. Yes, some will stay for two weeks in one place just as some caravans tour around, but it is about the generality. I suspect more members on this forum move and tour more than CAMC site users. But maybe a difference between those who post and those who just view the forum.
Having a "four wheeled caravan" doesn't stop you from touring - I generally stop in one place for three or four days - not for three or four weeks - so perhaps I don't exhibit typical tugger behaviour after all :happy:? I just like the non towing aspect and the lack of setting up faff.

But I do like to know where I'm staying the night which tends to mean booking.
I was going to say I don't really do 1 nights, nor carparks but as a Britstop subscriber, that's not entirely true :LOL:...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder if anyone does this:
Drive to an area that has 'potential', then look online to see if there are any nearby sites, club or independent, with availability and if so, stay the night or nights?

Sort of a halfway house between those who hate the idea of pre-booking and those who like the benefits of sites.

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Just received this email from CAMC with reduction to deposit and 20% off a variety of sites during midweek.
All during the peak period .
Maybe with all the noise about their fees and perhaps people voting with their feet theyve had to react?

View attachment 768743
Just received this email from CAMC with reduction to deposit and 20% off a variety of sites during midweek.
Maybe with all the noise about their fees and perhaps people voting with their feet theyve had to react?

View attachment 768743
To me a reduction in the deposit is little help, it’s the cost per night compared to other sites which is the trouble. All I can say I’m please I’m a member of CCC and will be using them more now.

Lavender1

Free Member
Feb 18, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Barry and I, with the dogs are currently visiting Wales. Stayed on best CL site ever, near Ross on Wye. On a 500 acre orchard farm with amazing views. Lovely owner who didn’t mind where you walked as long as your dog did not go into the rows of fruit. No facilities apart from hook up, water and waste dump. He has not put his charges up for 5 years - still only £15 per night🤗.
Next CAMC Brecon. £88 for three nights so not too bad. Lovely site, fantastic dog walk and pristine showers/toilets. Notice asking us to conserve electric but when you walked into the block, in the middle of a heat wave, they had heating on full😡. Had issues with the noisy pair of women, next door, until 1.30am. Asked wardens in morning if the pair would be going that day. Would not tell us and the inference was “tell them yourselves😤”. Fortunately, they left and next day, literally ready to go, the 2 year old Havachon jumped out of van, did two circuits round the empty pitch next door but stopped as soon as I told him “stop”. This was in front of an officious warden who shouted to me “put your dog on a lead” in a very unpleasant tone.
As a Level 7 Google Reviewer, she has now lost them 2⭐️s Instead of the 5 I was going to award. Can soon enforce a rule when they want to but not prepared to reprimand antisoctal members!
Next, went to private site near Tenby. Actual site cared for but toilets/showers horrible. Cost £30 per night. We both agreed that we would rather pay the extra and have pleasant, clean facilities.
Now on site just outside of Dolgellau. Lovely small site, amazing views, great showers/toilets with serviced pitch. £40 per night😲. Most we have ever paid, especially when you have to pay extra to handwash your clothes or use an iron. Chose the site as close to town where you pick up cycle trail to Barmouth.
we would probably not renew our membership but then we would be unable to use the many CL sites.
As one member said ”would rather go abroad with sites 16/18 euros”. Ok, but with Tesco cutting down on Clubcard points so now having to pay tunnel plus the cost of both dogs, their Healthcare certificates, our health insurance, dogs treated for tapeworm on return, no longer a cheaper holiday. Hopefully, with empty sites, Club will reduce their prices.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Ive been a member of Caravan Club since 2004 fees due end of this month I wont be renewing. I like the deposit system but the prices of pitches have gone up too much.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The deposit is only "fully refundable" if you cancel before 21 days. That's the same as it was at the outset.

The other significant changes that took place are the extension of the previous 72 hour period for cancellation for convenience, to 21 days. Which is a long period.

The Club still required a reason to be selected from a short menu on the old website. Which didn't cover all the likely reasons anyway. If the Club relied on that very restricted source of information regarding reasons for cancellation under the old system while formulating the new deposit system, that is one explanation why it turned out so flawed.

We should take into account the chances of getting a deposit refunded. A Member basically needs to throw themself on the mercy of the Club's management if cancelling during the 21 day period (or is a don't show) due to circumstances beyond the Member's reasonable control. The Club made it pretty clear that your chances of getting a refund are almost non-existent, no matter how hard you grovel nor how unlucky you are. In my opinion this is an unfair contract term, because there is no appropriate force majeure clause to relieve a Member from performing his/her side of the booking and deposit agreement in no-fault circumstances that prevented him/her from using that booking as originally intended. If tested in Court, that harsh deposit non-refundability rule could be struck down. It makes you wonder how a Members' Club can make such one-sided and harsh rules.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The other significant changes that took place are the extension of the previous 72 hour period for cancellation for convenience, to 21 days. Which is a long period.

The Club still required a reason to be selected from a short menu on the old website. Which didn't cover all the likely reasons anyway. If the Club relied on that very restricted source of information regarding reasons for cancellation under the old system while formulating the new deposit system, that is one explanation why it turned out so flawed.

We should take into account the chances of getting a deposit refunded. A Member basically needs to throw themself on the mercy of the Club's management if cancelling during the 21 day period (or is a don't show) due to circumstances beyond the Member's reasonable control. The Club made it pretty clear that your chances of getting a refund are almost non-existent, no matter how hard you grovel nor how unlucky you are. In my opinion this is an unfair contract term, because there is no appropriate force majeure clause to relieve a Member from performing his/her side of the booking and deposit agreement in no-fault circumstances that prevented him/her from using that booking as originally intended. If tested in Court, that harsh deposit non-refundability rule could be struck down. It makes you wonder how a Members' Club can make such one-sided and harsh rules.
Think I saw somewhere on their website you should take out travel insurance to cover the risk.
Wonder when they'll start selling travel insurance at a premium?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We stayed at Hillhead near Brixham at the beginning of June Thurs - Sun with 20% off. We have always liked the site because it's on a bus route - we went to Paignton on the Friday and Kingswear and on to Dartmouth on the ferry on Saturday. Very empty - and this was half term week with Torbay airshow at the weekend.
It does say in the conditions that you will get the 20% discount on the Sun-Thurs but not on the remainder of the booking (y)

JoCo

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
2015 Burstner Ixeo Time
Exp
2 years
My membership due so I decided to resign. Sent an email and received a polite email from Lynn asking why and could they help to change my mind .
Thought may as well reply and thank her for her courtesy,and told her I felt CAMC had lost their way and forgotten they were there to serve their members.
I guess if all who leave politely tell them why, some changes may occur.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
They are probably hooked up because they have had to pay for it.
When we have been to haven ,we have hooked up because it's in the tenner not because we need it.
I've also been using Haven. They are great for value for money. Although I would use a pool if available I'm not the sort to socialize in a bar and definitely don't need a second rate "show".
So great for cycling and watching the pennies.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Barry and I, with the dogs are currently visiting Wales. Stayed on best CL site ever, near Ross on Wye. On a 500 acre orchard farm with amazing views. Lovely owner who didn’t mind where you walked as long as your dog did not go into the rows of fruit. No facilities apart from hook up, water and waste dump. He has not put his charges up for 5 years - still only £15 per night🤗.
Next CAMC Brecon. £88 for three nights so not too bad. Lovely site, fantastic dog walk and pristine showers/toilets. Notice asking us to conserve electric but when you walked into the block, in the middle of a heat wave, they had heating on full😡. Had issues with the noisy pair of women, next door, until 1.30am. Asked wardens in morning if the pair would be going that day. Would not tell us and the inference was “tell them yourselves😤”. Fortunately, they left and next day, literally ready to go, the 2 year old Havachon jumped out of van, did two circuits round the empty pitch next door but stopped as soon as I told him “stop”. This was in front of an officious warden who shouted to me “put your dog on a lead” in a very unpleasant tone.
As a Level 7 Google Reviewer, she has now lost them 2⭐️s Instead of the 5 I was going to award. Can soon enforce a rule when they want to but not prepared to reprimand antisoctal members!
Next, went to private site near Tenby. Actual site cared for but toilets/showers horrible. Cost £30 per night. We both agreed that we would rather pay the extra and have pleasant, clean facilities.
Now on site just outside of Dolgellau. Lovely small site, amazing views, great showers/toilets with serviced pitch. £40 per night😲. Most we have ever paid, especially when you have to pay extra to handwash your clothes or use an iron. Chose the site as close to town where you pick up cycle trail to Barmouth.
we would probably not renew our membership but then we would be unable to use the many CL sites.
As one member said ”would rather go abroad with sites 16/18 euros”. Ok, but with Tesco cutting down on Clubcard points so now having to pay tunnel plus the cost of both dogs, their Healthcare certificates, our health insurance, dogs treated for tapeworm on return, no longer a cheaper holiday. Hopefully, with empty sites, Club will reduce their prices.
Christ. Them prices are making my eyes water.
7 days in France. £0
Freely moving from aire to aire. Not needed a site yet. No cassette and water anxiety either.
Over 90 days we will save an absolute fortune compared to staying in uk if we average £30 a night in uk that would be £2700 on site fees alone and it would probably have to be pre booked.

There will come a time when we can’t travel abroad as we get older. So for the moment Europe it is

Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003

View attachment 768743
Well there's a surprise. You have to wonder how this can possibly be. They will have to explain now why they are loosing money, because we have always been told they are a "not for profit" organisation. ..YEH RIGHT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back