Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
oxford
Funster No
MH
vw T4 trident transporter
Exp
Hi

I’ve got a j-reg t4 trident camper that’s fitted with a zig mc2000 unit.

For some reason it has stopped working ,i.e. no power to socket, lights or water tank tester.
I’ve checked the 6 fuses on the unit and they all look ok. plus the fuses on the charging unit.
I plugged it into mains last night hoping this would charge the battery up but to no avail, the lights this morning came on for half a second and went off again.

Is this down to the leisure battery possibly being faulty or would there be another problem??

I’d be very grateful for any advice or hints as to what the problem could be.

Many thanks

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome to fun:Smile:, I'm no good to you I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out:thumb:

OP
OP
A

alsmith

Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
oxford
Funster No
MH
Exp
cheers wizzer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The horse's mouth.....

http://www.zig-electronics.co.uk/products.htm

Can you find working 240V inside ?

Can you find the charger, are there any switches you could have knocked off ?

OP
OP
A

alsmith

Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
oxford
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi hilldweller
ive emailed the zig company the same question but had no reply.

the 240v is working inside the van

ive checked all the internal fuses and they are fine,also the rcd switches are all on.

been told it could be the leisure battery braking down inside

lionart8085

Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
wales
Funster No
MH
coachbult
Exp
im a newie
leisure battery help?

hi, i had a simular problem and i found that there was a weak earth going to and from the zig so i uninstalled it and pluged it into my house, it just blew so i bought a zig cf9b and it was a far more better unit. hope this helps!

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
this cold spell could have seen off many batteries that were close to the end of their life.
i would disconnect the hook up then the leisure battery and check it with a multi-meter to find out.

if its below 12 volts its flat and if it has been that way through a frost or 2 then probably wont recover depending on its age and will need replacing.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
:welcomefunster:

OP
OP
A

alsmith

Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
oxford
Funster No
MH
Exp
many thanks for the info.

would it be worth connecting another battery instead of the leisure battery just to see if that solves the problem before i go and and buy another

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
many thanks for the info.

would it be worth connecting another battery instead of the leisure battery just to see if that solves the problem before i go and and buy another

Yes...

JJ :Cool:

but I suspect it is the battery... Do you have a multimeter? It is a very useful bit of kit...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome to the forum

JJ is right.. get yourself a multimeter.. not expensive will allow you to check the mains as well as the battery side of things... Maplins sell them at reasonable prices.

But you could put a normal 12v battery in to test and see if the power comes back. The old Zig units often failed.. lots of better units now available even from Zig.

Regards

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
zig unit

Not sure which unit we have and if it is the same as yours, but, We had a power surge a few years back and this blew the internal fuse on the circuit board inside the zig unit.

Opened the unit and changed the fuse, unfortunately the surge had got past the origanal fuse and the unit just fizzed and smoked.

I hope for you it is the battery, but if it turns out to be the zig unit, we just fited a 4 stage battery charger and disconected the 12 volt side of the zig unit.

Good luck, oh and Welcome to fun.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I am experiencing the same problem,have just taken delivery of new 110 leisure battery,am awaiting arrival of voltmeter so I can test the zig before I go any further,if the zig is found to be faulty can I replace the zig witha 4 phase battery charger as the cheapest replacement zig I can find is £132,and a good quality battery charger is way cheaper.

OP
OP
A

alsmith

Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
oxford
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi all

many thanks for the replies,we think we have sorted out the problem.a friend of mine has had a look at the relay's around the leisure battery,one of the connectors had come off and the relay itself was all rusted and bits fell of it inside.

the knackered one was a 24v 20amp one....can we replace with a 12v 30amp or would it better all round to replace with 24v 20 amp one?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back