Ducato engine/gearbox given up in France. (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
UPDATE
Cambelt IS intact.
Bloomin' 'eck, what a mess!
If it was mine I'd want a new engine. The cylinder bore will be scored and at the very least it'll need a rebore, new cyl head, set of pistons, valves and there'll be metal swarf throughout.....................
Which bit in the photos is the cambelt?
Not in the pic. It has to be removed to take the head off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If it was mine I'd want a new engine. The cylinder bore will be scored and at the very least it'll need a rebore, new cyl head, set of pistons, valves and there'll be metal swarf throughout.....................

I think a re-conditioned engine might be a good option and may even be cheaper.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Genuine Fiat recon unit around €6k plus whatever ancillaries the garage decide necessary possibly turbo, intercooler, EGR unit etc, unlikely to be less than €12 in total.

If you look closely at the pictures you will see witness of valve to piston on the others as well as the obvious one.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Picture attached of similar damage to a 2014 engine that occurred to a lady living in Germany, that occasion cost her just short of 14k.
That particular one was not associated to the cam belt, the German Fiat garage that carried out the work suggested the valves failed!

Cam belt damage.jpeg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Picture attached of similar damage to a 2014 engine that occurred to a lady living in Germany, that occasion cost her just short of 14k.
That particular one was not associated to the cam belt, the German Fiat garage that carried out the work suggested the valves failed!

View attachment 606153
Wow that is similar.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

its not a given that the bore is scored weve rebuilt one new piston and new head ,valves embed in the soft ally of the piston and stay there

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
its not a given that the bore is scored weve rebuilt one new piston and new head ,valves embed in the soft ally of the piston and stay there
Like this.........

Stuffed piston.png

Yes, I've done a couple but it looked to me that the valve heads had snapped off after being hit by the piston and been rattling up and down loose in the bore with all the other bits of shrapnel (but we can't see the bore, so que sera.....................).
1649945567957.png

If I had it rebuilt as you suggest with just a piston, valves, head skim etc. I'd sell it afterwards. ;)

Last edited:

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Are the piston bore sleeves replaceable . Seems an easier way rather than re boring.
or does that not apply anymore .

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Not an expert by any measure but if the Cam Belt was fine when removed and changed a few thousand K's ago what chance has this poor man being successful with a claim against the garage that changed the Cam Belt ? Could there be another cause that results in the same failure mode ???

Thanks Mixyblob for the feedback and pictures.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Not an expert by any measure but if the Cam Belt was fine when removed and changed a few thousand K's ago what chance has this poor man being successful with a claim against the garage that changed the Cam Belt ? Could there be another cause that results in the same failure mode ???

Thanks Mixyblob for the feedback and pictures.
The belt tension could've been too little when fitted or an intermediate pulley could've failed and the belt skipped a tooth or two.

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
The French garage seem to think the UK garage fitted the new cambelt with the timing slightly out. They think it was probably started before they realised and before they re ajusted the timing correctly.
Concequently some damage had already been done, which explains the valve contact marks on the other pistons.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The French garage seem to think the UK garage fitted the new cambelt with the timing slightly out. They think it was probably started before they realised and before they re ajusted the timing correctly.
Concequently some damage had already been done, which explains the valve contact marks on the other pistons.
Wow that will be difficult to prove..
I hope you can get enough proof to cover what's needed.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Looking at the marks on the other pistons I'd agree.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Quite possible.
There have been a few threads recently on cam belt change and the cost of getting it done, I've commented on a few but given up now as many think that it is best to get the job done as cheaply as is possible, but I'll wager the budget ones do not do the job properly.
By that I mean if you follow the correct procedure it is a task that has to be attacked from top and bottom, and involves removing quite a lot of what may appear to be unnecessary and using various tools and timing pins that insure the correct timing is achieved, it is of course however possible to just remove the old belt and hope nothing moves whilst the belt is off and slip the new one in its place, which I would suggest the way the cheapo ones do it, OK if nothing goes wrong.
Part of the correct procedure is to slacken the cam pulley bolt and reposition the pulley to suit the new belt which ensures absolutely correct timing when carried out, not likely part of the procedure if looking to do it quickly / cheaply.

As I mentioned previously the OP is likely to end up with a bill of €12k or so, ask yourself "do I feel lucky" next time you choose who renews your cam belt.

As an add the picture I posted earlier was from a 2014 Ducato that had covered 44000Kms, glad I've not got a low mileage 2014 van

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Our 2014 Ducato based Globecar Campscout ground to a halt yesterday halfway through our tour of France.
It suddenly lost power, accompanied by some weird noises from the engine and gearbox area along with a dashboard that lit up like a 70s disco.
Attempting to restart it resulted in a "donk" as the starter motor tried to turn unsuccessfully.
The vehicle will roll ok as we found out later when recovered by a low loader.
We are luckily now parked at a private aire, awaiting our breakdown company to deliver us to the nearest Fiat garage in Albi once France wakes up after the weekend.
The van has done 22000 miles and had a full service, MOT and timing belt change just before our trip.
No external signs of damage, no leaks, smells or anything obvious.
We were just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience of if any mechanical experts might have a guess as to whats occured, pending a very expensive bill from Fiat.
Who actually changed the belt, was it a Fiat professional garage?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
As per the rules of the forum, I'm not going to name the garage that carried out the work, especially as its not been proved that they were at fault… yet
I did not ask you to name them just to confirm if it was a Fiat Proefessional garage:whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's not visible as it has been removed to take off the head, which is the bit in the right hand photo. It looks like a piston has whacked the valves. Cause probably as suggested the cam belt has slipped.
Definitely more than whacked them .....
The valve heads have been having a ball seeing which one can cause the most dents and damage to the head
Definitely a new cylinder head complete, one piston and possibly a con-rod if it got bent

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If I had it rebuilt as you suggest with just a piston, valves, head skim etc. I'd sell it afterwards. ;)
Certainly won't be refitting that head.
There's very little left of the valve seats and nowhere to fit new seats due to extensive Damage around the valve holes .....far too much damage

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Certainly won't be refitting that head.
There's very little left of the valve seats and nowhere to fit new seats due to extensive Damage around the valve holes .....far too much damage
Exactly. In the unlikely event that it would work it'd be an unacceptable bodge. That's why I'd get shot of it.

I'm not familiar with that engine but it looks as though the valves are inclined and so their heads wouldn't be parallel to the piston crown. If that's the case then if the engine was actually started and run, even briefly, with the pistons hitting the outer edge of the valves' heads I wouldn't have thought that there'd be a second chance to re-time it.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
The dropped valves are one of each i.e. 1 inlet, 1exhaust, if you look carefully at the remains the other 3 pistons are marked but only by the inlets.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ouch! That looks expensive I hope you get some redress from the garage that changed the belt.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As per the rules of the forum, I'm not going to name the garage that carried out the work, especially as its not been proved that they were at fault… yet
Don't know what I would do in your shoes, really sympathize , if I had to foot the bill with no insurance or warranty, I don't think I could afford it, but the thing is what do you do, the van is no good without an engine, but will you ever get it back, if it was me with my van not worth a lot I think I would scrap it and get another, but with a van that's worth a lot you don't have that option, just hope you can get something back one road or another.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back