New UK aires company has started up (4 Viewers)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I hope they have the legalities in place along with insurance etc. There are Acts of Parliament in place which state how long and how many caravans can be in one place at a time. Motorhomes come into the definition of caravan in the Act btw.
Exactly. It looks like another organisation offering a service without understanding what the legal requirements are.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
It's not just about throwing negatives around. It's about warning people of potential issues and/or problems, just as you might about as new product on the market. If there are negative things to say, they're just as relevant as positive things, especially when peoples' hard earned cash is involved. If the majority of people only want to hear positive things, review sites would be out of business. It's important to hear the good and the bad together in order to make a balanced judgement.
I have no problem with providing feedback to others, but a lot of negativity on this business is on the basis of not having booked a site and tried it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I have no problem with providing feedback to others, but a lot of negativity on this business is on the basis of not having booked a site and tried it.

And rightly so. If issues are discovered ahead of spending money, it's absolutely appropriate to share those issues with others. I haven't seen any comments which are unfounded. Indeed, the comments that may be classed as 'negative' are raising important facts about the business and people behind this new venture. If those comments protect potential users, that can only be a good thing.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why not use the pubstops map on here. £15 to park and£15 off the bill when you eat would be fair enough but not £15 just for a parking space. 18 Euro in France with no facilities would be considered a very expensive Aire. I think the rot started with britstops once pubs became "tied" to one organisation they could see their was money in car parking spaces. I've not looked at the details surely people aren't paying to join as well.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure what you mean by ‘the rot started’. Britstops has been and is just a great and easy facility to use.

Some pubs (not Britstops) do charge like the Tan Hill Inn
All these schemes will eventually find their level and like the different parking apps SFS, Camoer Cintact etc some people will use nine, one or all

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
I hope that I have made it clear that I neither endorse nor (whatever the opposite is!) this scheme, we sought simply to bring it to people so that they could make a choice, one thing is for sure though - it has made an interesting discussion.

One thing that wasn't on the video (which would not have been fair to air to everyone) was the "robust" discussion between the other director and an (I believe representative member) of CAMPRA who accosted them whilst I was filming, which I have to say felt a little at odds with the purportedly inclusive nature of the organisation.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I hope that I have made it clear that I neither endorse nor (whatever the opposite is!) this scheme, we sought simply to bring it to people so that they could make a choice, one thing is for sure though - it has made an interesting discussion.

One thing that wasn't on the video (which would not have been fair to air to everyone) was the "robust" discussion between the other director and an (I believe representative member) of CAMPRA who accosted them whilst I was filming, which I have to say felt a little at odds with the purportedly inclusive nature of the organisation.

...."the other director".....

There are no other directors.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I sent an email to UK Aires saying that I couldn't see anything on their web site about ensuring the sites have a caravan site licence or other measures of ensuring that they comply with the requirements of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 and asking if they could explain how compliance is achieved.

They tell me that whilst the sites are affiliated to the company they are private entities - i.e. (though not specifically stated) compliance with legal requirements is down to individial sites.

I've suggested that UK Aires state explicitly on its web site that sites are limited to one motorhome per night (3 if 5 acres or more) and no more than 28 nights in any 12 month period, so that neither site owners nor campers misunderstands the situation.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I sent an email to UK Aires saying that I couldn't see anything on their web site about ensuring the sites have a caravan site licence or other measures of ensuring that they comply with the requirements of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 and asking if they could explain how compliance is achieved.

They tell me that whilst the sites are affiliated to the company they are private entities - i.e. (though not specifically stated) compliance with legal requirements is down to individial sites.

I've suggested that UK Aires state explicitly on its web site that sites are limited to one motorhome per night (3 if 5 acres or more) and no more than 28 nights in any 12 month period, so that neither site owners nor campers misunderstands the situation.
An interesting response from the company! A glance over the Serious Crime Act 2007 (Part2) may encourage a more considered view, slopy shoulders doesn't always provide an escape route for inchoate offences.

Reactions: GJH
May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
...."the other director".....

There are no other directors.
I simply take my information from what I was told standing face to face with someone who told me quite clearly that the gentleman next to him was a director along with the chap who made the website.

Perhaps he was referring to the persons of significant interest then. At the end of the day - I have no vested interest in UK Aires aside from it being an interesting item to me, I hope that's clear.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
An interesting response from the company! A glance over the Serious Crime Act 2007 (Part2) may encourage a more considered view, slopy shoulders doesn't always provide an escape route for inchoate offences.

On the face of it, it looks like they're overlooking a lot. Get-rich-quick and to hell with everyone else! I doubt much of the profit made by this venture will stay with this particular company very long. Personally, I wouldn't be happy booking anything with them. There's so much wrong with this.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I simply take my information from what I was told standing face to face with someone who told me quite clearly that the gentleman next to him was a director along with the chap who made the website.

Perhaps he was referring to the persons of significant interest then. At the end of the day - I have no vested interest in UK Aires aside from it being an interesting item to me, I hope that's clear.

Of course it's clear. I understand completely that you're simply the messenger. And, to be honest, I'm glad you've brought this to everyone's attention because it's raising some very important issues regarding the way it's being run.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Of course it's clear. I understand completely that you're simply the messenger. And, to be honest, I'm glad you've brought this to everyone's attention because it's raising some very important issues regarding the way it's being run.
Blimey give the business a break. Someone trying to do their best in an area loads of you have wanted to explore and they get cut down flames. Good luck to them, the true test will be if it’s successful or not.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
In France most aires operate in a simple way. It works with little problems.

It seems here there are many different companies springing up and operating in different ways.and cost. Surely this is getting away from the system like France we would like to see here.

Just seems lots of people are seeing an opportunity to make a quick buck out of motorhomers.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Blimey give the business a break. Someone trying to do their best in an area loads of you have wanted to explore and they get cut down flames. Good luck to them, the true test will be if it’s successful or not.
If the scheme as per the web site is their best then I'm afraid it shows naivety and lack of understanding. The web site (as is the case wiht other companies offering a similar service) gives the impression that sites availability is far more than legislation allows.

Reactions: HKF
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If the scheme as per the web site is their best then I'm afraid it shows naivety and lack of understanding. The web site (as is the case wiht other companies offering a similar service) gives the impression that sites availability is far more than legislation allows.
Like a dog with a bone ;) (y):giggle:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
At least they don’t have as many typo’s!

• Funny
Reactions: GJH
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
And rightly so. If issues are discovered ahead of spending money, it's absolutely appropriate to share those issues with others. I haven't seen any comments which are unfounded. Indeed, the comments that may be classed as 'negative' are raising important facts about the business and people behind this new venture. If those comments protect potential users, that can only be a good thing.
I believe they said the same sort of things about the arrival of the internal combustion engine, the railways, introduction of the television to name but a few. Not in the same league I know.
Some have the gumption to be entrepreneurial-some just sit back and take a pop.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with you on this one, but it's just that you must get up people's noses with this qouteing stuff from before their parents were born.
I know it would me.
If facts get up people's noses then tough because people need to know the facts whether they like them or not.
I'm sure I get up people's noses when I criticise littering and fly tipping (one of my pet hates) as well, because they don't like being caught out.
One of the problems with this country is that too many people simply assume they can do what they like, when and where they like, despite legal restrictions and with no regard to the effect on others.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I like anything that increases the number of sites to stop at.

Cost depends on location, facilities and general setup outlook, so 15.00 maybe a rip off or a bargain.

What I find mildly irritating is that I cannot see how many or where the sites are I think I have to sign up, pay monies to see the site locations.

If you can only book online via after signing up fair enough, but why hide the sites.🤔. Until I have a need I generally do not buy something and without access to the site locations I have know idea if I want to buy?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
With this new thing though you will still be tempted to use the pub, well I would be, even though you have already paid your £15.
This is exactly the reason I don’t particularly like this new idea. We stay at pubs regularly and always have a meal and drinks. Having to pay an extra £15 on top of this would certainly make us think about not using the pub as much.

Deleted User
I’m all for CAMPRA but sadly a lot of the sites that’s popping up are £10 per night with NO facilities. I’m not willing to pay that when I can park in a wilding spot for free. If they were offering services for the £10 then that’s a different matter. I sometimes think we are creating a rod for our own back by supporting these non serviced sites at £10. Happy to pay £10 with toilet dump though.
Exactly this ^^^
There is NO WAY im paying for nothing. Councils e.t.c. have spotted an opportunity to demand money while offering precisely nothing in return. From reviews I read on Apps, a lot of these 'give us your money for nothing' parking schemes are plagued by local boy racers as well.
Willing to pay to park on a car park so long as there are toilet facilities or black waste and drinking water though. If not, no chance.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Why not use the pubstops map on here. £15 to park and£15 off the bill when you eat would be fair enough but not £15 just for a parking space. 18 Euro in France with no facilities would be considered a very expensive Aire. I think the rot started with britstops once pubs became "tied" to one organisation they could see their was money in car parking spaces. I've not looked at the details surely people aren't paying to join as well.
You do make a very valid point re feeling tied. My local which has its own brewery and does very good food has a large level car park. When we first joined Britstops I asked the landlady if she was interested in becoming a britstop. She wasn’t, even though they do allow motorhomes to stay the night. She didn’t want to be tied to just Britstops members and also wasn’t keen on motorhomes staying but not using the pub. I couldn’t really fault her thinking.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What I find mildly irritating is that I cannot see how many or where the sites are I think I have to sign up, pay monies to see the site locations.

If you can only book online via after signing up fair enough, but why hide the sites.🤔.
I guess they don't want people contacting the sites without first becoming subscribers since many (e.g. pubs) allow 'casual' overnighting already.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Having to book defeats the object of an Aire. Looks like most places are going to be pub & club car parks 15 quid for that is taking the pee.
The consequences of which could be, that places where you can currently stay for 'free'ish' like pubs (so long as you have a meal e.t.c.) will sign up, giving us LESS choice of places to stay when theres already not enough.
Id rather pay £10-£20 to a pub and get that back off the bar bill, than pay these schemes £15 and still have to pay my bar bill.

Sounds like bad news and just another exploitation of motorhomers for profit rather than actually addressing the problem of there not being enough facilities in this country.

My thoughts are it should be actively boycotted so these cash grab schemes fail and PROPER facilities have to be offered in return for payment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back