Full time, with older van conversion IH motorhome? (3 Viewers)

Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Hi all, new member. Collect new (to me) motorhome (or is a camper?) next week. Planning to travel Europe and UK for 12-18mths.

I’ve searched and researched, and seems only comfort do a full time policy. However I’ve also read some comments saying they won’t do “van conversions” (although it’s professional IH Motorhomes) on full time policy.

Also I’ve seen comments saying they won’t insure older units at all, mine is 2005?

Can anyone confirm or deny the above, and maybe advise me on what to do?

Really worried I have my new van coming, moving out of my home soon, with plans to enjoy a career break road trip. And now scared I won’t be able to thanks to insurance companies!

Anyone full time ok in an older unit and a PVC ?

I see many say “don’t mention it” or “use friend address”. But this van is (to me) biggest investment of my life and don’t want to risk no insurance due to telling porkies.

tia

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, a few observations.
You do know that there us a restriction on the time you van spend in the EU.
I believe when they refer to van conversions I think they mean a privately converted van and a IH panel van should be fine.
The age of the van nay be a no go for thier breakdown cover but not sure on that one.

There are many members who full-time so hopefully one we be along shortly to give you a more accurate picture.

OP
OP
LeccyLee
Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Hi, a few observations.
You do know that there us a restriction on the time you can spend in the EU.
I believe when they refer to can conversions I think they mean a privately converted van and a IH panel van should be fine.
The age of the van nay be a no go for thier breakdown cover but not sure on that one.

There are nany members who full-time so hopefully one we be along shortly to give you a more accurate picture.
Thanks Phil

Yes indeed on the time spent in EU (thanks brexit), 90days I believe with 90days out. So yes trip will be around those rules.

I did see a post elsewhere where a Wildax owner was told no due to being a “PVC” even as a professional manufacturer! Worrying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welc:

AIB also do proper fulltime insurance and I believe they give a discount to Funsters. However the policy will still be underwritten by Aviva, so same conditions but maybe a little less financial pain?

As Phill D says, I wouldn’t have thought an IH PVC would be a problem but I’ve only ever had larger vans.

Re age of van: Comfort generally suggest nothing more than 10 years old but can be persuaded into insuring older vans if they are good quality marques. Again I would think IH would be regarded as good quality.

You may just have to bite the bullet and phone AIB and/or Comfort with your specific vehicle details.

Good luck with the fulltiming! (y)

OP
OP
LeccyLee
Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welc:

AIB also do proper fulltime insurance and I believe they give a discount to Funsters. However the policy will still be underwritten by Aviva, so same conditions but maybe a little less financial pain?

As Phill D says, I wouldn’t have thought an IH PVC would be a problem but I’ve only ever had larger vans.

Re age of van: Comfort generally suggest nothing more than 10 years old but can be persuaded into insuring older vans if they are good quality marques. Again I would think IH would be regarded as good quality.

You may just have to bite the bullet and phone AIB and/or Comfort with your specific vehicle details.

Good luck with the fulltiming! (y)
Thanks, yes I’ve not even called them yet. Wanted to get experienced advice first. 👍

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Baron,

Firstly, welcome to the fun and we hope you have a great time full timing.

Whilst our van is neither panel or old, we went full time in Sept last year (and wouldn't change a thing) and found only Comfort and Adrian Flux (I think that's their name, some will be along to correct me if I am wrong) would quote us, mainly as van was north side of 100k as well.

I would suggest giving both them and possibly NFU a try, the latter would not consider us owing to value, so not sure if they do FT policies, but a lot of peeps on here recommend them.

Not sure if this will help you, but good luck in your search and happy, safe an fun travels!

BTW, search your ancestors for an Irish link, you could get a passport like us and be unhindered by the Bxt restrictions 🤣😁😊

PeteT1201

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Hi all, new member. Collect new (to me) motorhome (or is a camper?) next week. Planning to travel Europe and UK for 12-18mths.

I’ve searched and researched, and seems only comfort do a full time policy. However I’ve also read some comments saying they won’t do “van conversions” (although it’s professional IH Motorhomes) on full time policy.

Also I’ve seen comments saying they won’t insure older units at all, mine is 2005?

Really worried I have my new van coming, moving out of my home soon, with plans to enjoy a career break road trip. And now scared I won’t be able to thanks to insurance companies!

I see many say “don’t mention it” or “use friend address”. But this van is (to me) biggest investment of my life and don’t want to risk no insurance due to telling porkies.

tia
Hi I have just had a quote from comfort on my 2002 MH so don't think the age will be an issue, welcome and good luck 👍

OP
OP
LeccyLee
Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Hi I have just had a quote from comfort on my 2002 MH so don't think the age will be an issue, welcome and good luck 👍
Nope something must have changed, as they just told me Aviva won't touch full-time now unless 2010+ vehicle :( :(

OP
OP
LeccyLee
Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Comfort generally suggest nothing more than 10 years old but can be persuaded into insuring older vans if they are good quality marques.
Hmm, have you any experience of persuading them, should I ask for manger or something? As guy I just got said totally no wiggle room, and only 2010+ motorhomes.

Starting to think have no choice but to lie to insurers, which seems not only dodgy but stupid!? :(

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Try staying in a Travel Lodge once a year.

Then you can quite honestly (and emphatically) say you do NOT live in your van fulltime.

Quite a sacrifice (Travel Lodge) but maybe a work around.

JJ :cool:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hmm, have you any experience of persuading them, should I ask for manger or something? As guy I just got said totally no wiggle room, and only 2010+ motorhomes.
Yes, 2 years ago Comfort were happy to offer me fulltime insurance on a 2007 N+B Flair. That would have been 12 years old at the time. They were also subsequently happy to quote for a 2005 Burstner Elegance (14 years old at the time). I didn’t end up buying either of those vans but Comfort had no problem with them.

OP
OP
LeccyLee
Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
So update, def looks like its a case of white lies or impossible to insure! Ridiculous state of affairs! You try and be upfront and honest and they won't insure you!

7hrs today on phone (sore ears!), Comfort, HIC, AF, Safeguard, AIB, Brentacre..... Not one will entertain it, either its "too old" or "its not coachbuilt" and one was "must have overcab bed for full-time".

I even said to the brokers, tell the underwriters premium could be £3-4k and id still pay it, but apparently insurers no longer want to earn money! Its not like its a DIY van or an old heap of rust, its an immaculate outfit by IH, that's hardly been used since new, 32k on clock and 1k a year for past 11years! I don't understand where the "risk" is for them? I mean what the hell makes a GRP body or an overcab bed a safer risk? wth....

Even the brokers said "just say you live with your mum, friend etc", just seems so wrong to me, to essentially lie just to cover AND risk having it voided if they feel like it!

Totally depressed now.....
BreweryDave , forgive me for tagging you in, but seem you have lot advice on insurance for FT, before I either give up, or just lie and say I have an address, which I won't do...

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So update, def looks like its a case of white lies or impossible to insure! Ridiculous state of affairs! You try and be upfront and honest and they won't insure you!

7hrs today on phone (sore ears!), Comfort, HIC, AF, Safeguard, AIB, Brentacre..... Not one will entertain it, either its "too old" or "its not coachbuilt" and one was "must have overcab bed for full-time".

I even said to the brokers, tell the underwriters premium could be £3-4k and id still pay it, but apparently insurers no longer want to earn money! Its not like its a DIY van or an old heap of rust, its an immaculate outfit by IH, that's hardly been used since new, 32k on clock and 1k a year for past 11years! I don't understand where the "risk" is for them? I mean what the hell makes a GRP body or an overcab bed a safer risk? wth....

Even the brokers said "just say you live with your mum, friend etc", just seems so wrong to me, to essentially lie just to cover AND risk having it voided if they feel like it!

BreweryDave , forgive me for tagging you in, but seem you have lot advice on insurance for FT, before I either give up, or just lie and say I have an address, which I won't do...
Fulltiming Rule #1: Don’t panic. There is a way out of any situation. :wink:

Do you have a friend or relative whose driveway you can park on for (I think) 10 days each year? I believe this is how Tam Northernraider legitimately gets cover for his van without having to pay for ‘proper‘ fulltime insurance.

OP
OP
LeccyLee
Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Fulltiming Rule #1: Don’t panic. There is a way out of any situation. :wink:

Do you have a friend or relative whose driveway you can park on for (I think) 10 days each year? I believe this is how Tam Northernraider legitimately gets cover for his van without having to pay for ‘proper‘ fulltime insurance.
Yes they wouldn't be an issue?

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
As far as I know, I may be wrong, only Aviva touches proper full timers, i.e. people who do not own property. If you own property you have more options. And yes, they were clear with me that the van had to be coach built, no PVC, and max 10 years old, if it is Ford based it must have a tracker. I'd never had a motorhome before, maybe things are different if you have had one before and they are maybe less strict then. That was nearly 5 years ago, since then I've just had renewals, so things may have changed.
And I agree, one thing I have learned is that everything has a solution (some more expensive than others...)
Have fun, just enjoy it.
One word of advice, if you deal with Comfort make sure you speak with a supervisor as the people who answer the phone may not know about full time insurance and that that is a different beast to normal insurance (I speak from experience even though the ****** I spoke to didn't even want to admit that she didn't know)

Reactions: maz

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Good morning
I have used Boatmail for legal paperwork etc. You get an address with a postcode, originally designed for Canal boat users as a way of keeping licences, passports and the like legal.
The service is excellent they will scan and copy over and letters you receive if your needs be. Using relative's addresses runs thin eventually in my experience. Also use for your insurance company address, with a couple of stays in a Pension or B&B.
This can be a quite legitimate work around in my experience.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Good morning
I have used Boatmail for legal paperwork etc. You get an address with a postcode, originally designed for Canal boat users as a way of keeping licences, passports and the like legal.
The service is excellent they will scan and copy over and letters you receive if your needs be. Using relative's addresses runs thin eventually in my experience. Also use for your insurance company address, with a couple of stays in a Pension or B&B.
This can be a quite legitimate work around in my experience.
Comfort wouldn't accept boatmail with me, it had to be a proper street address with people registered on the electoral roll living there (rules out a company address), this was one of the questions I had to answer. Friends let me use their address. If you can, make it a low crime area as that will affect what you pay, seriously! I told them, what difference does it make, I'm only parked up there a few nights a year, but they have to base the quote on something. Nowadays you really can reduce the amount of paper mail you get to a bare minimum.

Reactions: maz

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have an IH 06 plate, insured with comfort not a full timer though Call them and ask they were very helpful when I started

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Never tried full time insurance but caravan guard asked me if my MH was less than 30 yrs old, so that sounds like they are happy with older models. Mine is now 18 yrs old (2003) no problem getting insurance and was £325 with limited mileage (6000) uk only.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
@BreweryDave , forgive me for tagging you in, but seem you have lot advice on insurance for FT, before I either give up, or just lie and say I have an address, which I won't

Youve obviously done your research, and your conclusions are finding all the pitfalls fulltimers have had over the years! In your particular circumstances I can’t see you getting the Aviva Horizon+ FT policy (the only FT policy available) for all the reasons you’ve stated, plus age and size of van etc. It’s daft, but then so are lots of things!

If I were in your position, I would do 2 things,
firstly have an address be it freind,family, boatmail etc ( boatmail worked for me, had my van, licence, bank etc all with their address, which is a street address not a PO Box) You MUST have an address for so many reasons, but living there isn’t one of them😜🤣

Secondly, find a Policy which gives you 365 days use. It’s an anomaly, but such policies do exist through the general and usual sources, you buy a policy allowing 365 days use, ( my last was with Saga) but you have an address, and don’t actually mention the words Full and Time, but still answer their questions but only to the extent as required to answer them, no need to volunteer anything else!. ( worked for me on my last FT van which was a Globecar😉)

Good luck, there’s always a way 😉

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No

tia
Have you tried Safeguard !

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi, a few observations.
You do know that there us a restriction on the time you van spend in the EU.
I believe when they refer to van conversions I think they mean a privately converted van and a IH panel van should be fine.

There are many members who full-time so hopefully one we be along shortly to give you a more accurate picture.
Have you tried Safeguard?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
You are hitting the obstacles that come with full timing, unfortunately. We tried very hard to be above board, but failed miserably- notably with the tv licence! You can’t watch tv at home & in the van at the same time, & can’t buy a license without an address, & can’t have two licenses at one address if not flats! Our friends (used their address, even though we had full time insurance with Comfort) already had a tv license, so we were stuck! The point of the tale, is that, in the end, you will have to fudge something!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back