Public perception (1 Viewer)

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
I have been waiting for a chance to say that but thought I would be crucified, ;) , yeah I have sh.. outside many times, what else do you do when working miles from anywhere, anyone worked down a mine years ago?:Eeek::giggle:
By the photos this whole thread has been little short of windup.
When you’re holidaying in your MH you’re hardly stuck for options. Not quite the same thing.
Even when all options have been exhausted and the ‘turtle is knocking‘ you would still bury it 😉

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
When confronted with a problem, is the best response to go in to full on denial? "It's not us, g'vnor, it's them others". The thing is, there is a problem with accessing the countryside, however it is done. Instagratification, EnvyTube, Fakebook and all the other so called social media sites, coupled with restrictions on holidays to Ibiza etc mean that there is a whole new demographic hitting the wild places by whatever means they have at their disposal. This is placing unprecedented pressure on our natural environment that councils and police are not resourced to manage so they will go for 'simple' approaches' such as the PSPO at Thanet mentioned in another thread here. The motorhome community needs to think hard on how to respond to this, not try to pretend it's nothing to do with us.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When confronted with a problem, is the best response to go in to full on denial? "It's not us, g'vnor, it's them others". The thing is, there is a problem with accessing the countryside, however it is done. Instagratification, EnvyTube, Fakebook and all the other so called social media sites, coupled with restrictions on holidays to Ibiza etc mean that there is a whole new demographic hitting the wild places by whatever means they have at their disposal. This is placing unprecedented pressure on our natural environment that councils and police are not resourced to manage so they will go for 'simple' approaches' such as the PSPO at Thanet mentioned in another thread here. The motorhome community needs to think hard on how to respond to this, not try to pretend it's nothing to do with us.
But who will? the Caravan Club? MHF? Camping and Caravan Club? Most importantly who pays for it?

Without a BIG budget it will be like peeing in the wind, a bunch of Rohan wearing weirdo's that get a polite brush off to yet another email asking for Aires "like they have in France" would be the Councils perception.

A photocopied bit of paper stuck in the windscreen proclaiming that "I'm nice" or "I don't shit on the beach" will be a blurrily ignored by the masses, the same "masses" that look through their blinkered eyes and see a thousand people on "their" beach, a car park full of cars with a small percentage of vans, and even smaller percentage of "Proper" motorhomes, yet blame every bit of waste, rubbish and glass on the "campers"

I regularly stop and ask people what they are doing when they park in a couple of farm entrances on the approach to my place, I do it as often the pull in's are littered with takeaway rubbish and empty cans. I normally get told to flip off and mind my own business, to which I respond extremely aggressively and make the point that it "Is my business, their parking on MY land and if they don't pick up their crap and flip off, my lads will be down in a shot" So far its worked, they pick up their crap and bugger off, no doubt to dump it somewhere else.

But that is a couple of spots on one short Country lane, I still see rubbish left and fly tipping, grass cuttings, old mattress's

Its a problem with Society not one that a bunch of motorhome enthusiasts can fix, no respect for anything, no respect for Authority and nothing that the Authorities can do any way! If the Police pin try to enforce the law, they're to heavy handed, if they arrive with a light touch the mob becomes feral and turns on them, look at the dickheads that wanted to go to the vigil of the murdered woman during the lockdown! They were repeatedly told NO, still went then bleated that the Police manhandled them!

My kids were brought up to respect! How did we do it? we spent time with them and when they were naughty we punished them! A squirt of Fairy Liquid in the mouth when they swore, sent to their room when they were naughty, a slap when they were bigger.

Now these things are considered "abuse" But we have four Sons, Men that we can and are proud of, that know right from wrong and would still quail if Lyn got angry! "It wasn't the forehand, it was the backhand after she's missed, that hurt the most" they'll joke among themselves.

So what have we got now? a society that is full of people that know their rights, yet have no intention of respecting other peoples rights, Yell at teachers, Spit at the Police, swear at anyone that tries to make them do something, whereas I think that the next time some Yob spits at a Copper, the Copper should smack him in the mouth with immunity from prosecution, watching Coppers having to roll around on the floor with yobs, knowing full well that they are probably being filmed and that punch will look awful in ultra slow motion Hi Definition as it goes viral in Instagram bringing condemnation from the vacuous, is appalling

No wonder the Police are struggling to recruit!

The Backlash will come don't doubt it!

In the meantime, I'll just stay on Campsites and not get tarred with the same brush!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When you’re holidaying in your MH you’re hardly stuck for options. Not quite the same thing.
Even when all options have been exhausted and the ‘turtle is knocking‘ you would still bury it 😉
Did anyone say she didn't bury it?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As much as I hate to say this but the people who you want to educate don't want to be educated and will just throw it back in your face.
As far as they are concerned, their way is the right one, and they aren't concerned about other people at all.
No use telling folks on here who already know this.

It's only one example of a much bigger problem. I now tend to think those who consider this behaviour acceptable are either a very big minority or even a majority, especially among the younger generation (of course this isn't backed by statistical evidence but draw your own conclusions from the prevalence of discarded nitrous oxide canisters stated below. Photographs in the local paper showed groups aged under 30). This took place in my local area, not Scotland, but similar events seem to happen whenever large groups decend on a local beauty spot and overwhelm the (lack of or limited) facilities. In June 2020 the local paper ran a leading article under the headline: Mess and mayhem as lockdown rules are flouted.

I won't quote extensively. Sufficient to say that after one sunny weekend invasion in May 2020, volunteer Wombles collected more than 300 full-size binbags of litter in one village. Fields, roadside verges and the riverbanks were being used as loos. 4,000 discarded nitrous oxide canisters were collected. Cans, bottles, and disposable BBQs were strewn over playing fields. The limited number of litter bins in the area were left overflowing. It is as if nobody was willing to take their litter home. Nobody.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
draw your own conclusions from the prevalence of discarded nitrous oxide canisters stated below
Nitrous Oxide, someone needs to get a grip of these itinerary dentists

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It's only one example of a much bigger problem. I now tend to think those who consider this behaviour acceptable are either a very big minority or even a majority, especially among the younger generation (of course this isn't backed by statistical evidence but draw your own conclusions from the prevalence of discarded nitrous oxide canisters stated below. Photographs in the local paper showed groups aged under 30). This took place in my local area, not Scotland, but similar events seem to happen whenever large groups decend on a local beauty spot and overwhelm the (lack of or limited) facilities. In June 2020 the local paper ran a leading article under the headline: Mess and mayhem as lockdown rules are flouted.

I won't quote extensively. Sufficient to say that after one sunny weekend invasion in May 2020, volunteer Wombles collected more than 300 full-size binbags of litter in one village. Fields, roadside verges and the riverbanks were being used as loos. 4,000 discarded nitrous oxide canisters were collected. Cans, bottles, and disposable BBQs were strewn over playing fields. The limited number of litter bins in the area were left overflowing. It is as if nobody was willing to take their litter home. Nobody.
Well he will keep organising these raves in local beauty spots won’t he!:giggle:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Depends how fast it was!:giggle:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
In the meantime, I'll just stay on Campsites and not get tarred with the same brush!
Do you spend your whole time on a campsite? Do you not want to go out and explore the area? Park up for a coffee or lunch? Even if we all only overnight on campsites, we still need somewhere to park when visiting places. Many of the vehicles shown in her photos probably belong to people staying on campsites, in hotels or B&Bs. Maybe the MHs returned to campsites for the night.

The woman who wrote the rant in the OP has been touring the Western Isles, posting photos of the beaches, etc. I had never heard of her until about a week ago, when I started getting her posts on FB. Does she not realise that if I and hundreds of others now go there, she is partly to blame? Or does she think people will just look at and admire her photos?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do you spend your whole time on a campsite? Do you not want to go out and explore the area? Park up for a coffee or lunch? Even if we all only overnight on campsites, we still need somewhere to park when visiting places. Many of the vehicles shown in her photos probably belong to people staying on campsites, in hotels or B&Bs. Maybe the MHs returned to campsites for the night.

The woman who wrote the rant in the OP has been touring the Western Isles, posting photos of the beaches, etc. I had never heard of her until about a week ago, when I started getting her posts on FB. Does she not realise that if I and hundreds of others now go there, she is partly to blame? Or does she think people will just look at and admire her photos?
Nope, I park on a site and then we go out and about on our bikes. Once we have exhausted bikeable things we move onto the next place.

In France en route to the Med we have always stayed on the Motorway Aires

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Nope, I park on a site and then we go out and about on our bikes. Once we have exhausted bikeable things we move onto the next place.

In France en route to the Med we have always stayed on the Motorway Aires
That’s fine if you are able. With age comes infirmity. Some of us find walking difficult and cycling impossible.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think its more to do with the size of his rv ...not be parking that near many beaches etc.

It's a misconception that all RVs are monsters. I think it's the height that makes them look bigger. Eds RV is not much bigger than the van you are converting. It's just twice the size when all the slides are out.

My RV was shorter than any tag axle van. I don't recall parking it on a beach, but if i did I'd have a much better chance of driving off than any tag, :D

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think its more to do with the size of his rv ...not be parking that near many beaches etc.
Nope my camper is a a 27B

When you see us doing a three point turn with a 36' with a 27' boat on a trailer you'll understand that if we wanted to get to the beach where there are a lot of vans, we could

However, I do like a beer with my lunch or picnic hence the bike

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Have to say I thought the same

I was expecting something more like this ::bigsmile:

View attachment 502474
Have to say if i arrived at a site like that i wouldn't even bother looking for a place. Turn around and look elsewhere or go home.
Above would be my worse nightmare.
Any idea where it is so i can avoid it.?

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
My kids were brought up to respect! How did we do it? we spent time with them and when they were naughty we punished them!
I couldn't agree with you more. The methods we use may be slightly different, but the result is the same. My 11 year old is a growing into a young man that we are incredibly proud of, both for his own achievements and the way he treats those around him.
I think it's the height that makes them look bigger.
Indeed, height can really mess with ones perception of size. Our van is pretty small at only 6.3m in length, but due to the double floor and lack of a difference in height after the alcove section, it looks a hell of an imposing thing, especially if we are parked anywhere near a newer low-profile.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I couldn't agree with you more. The methods we use may be slightly different, but the result is the same. My 11 year old is a growing into a young man that we are incredibly proud of, both for his own achievements and the way he treats those around him.

Indeed, height can really mess with ones perception of size. Our van is pretty small at only 6.3m in length, but due to the double floor and lack of a difference in height after the alcove section, it looks a hell of an imposing thing, especially if we are parked anywhere near a newer low-profile.
Only one? My methods would have been different if we only had one

Having four boys who's main hobby was rugby, fighting, eating and fighting our methods were more "hands on" to stop them killing each other

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I have copied this from FB and have checked out the poster who does seem to be who she says she is. So, at least one of the claims in the rant is untrue.

CLEANER... Just to state I am the cleaner that left the Traigh job and I did NOT leave because of abuse.... I left for a job with more hours elsewhere.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Have to say if i arrived at a site like that i wouldn't even bother looking for a place. Turn around and look elsewhere or go home.
Above would be my worse nightmare.
Any idea where it is so i can avoid it.?
Same here, not what I signed up for when I started motorhoming

It's an award winning site in Malaga - photo is pre-Covid obviously

Hania

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2010
I am as they are, again in the context of this thread, inextricably linked. If someone sees a vile mound of human waste in a sand dune, and then minutes later sees a motorhome emptying the contents of their grey tank, what assumption do you think they are likely to jump to?

I'm not trying to start a campaign or a crusade to inform idiots Jim. All I was attempting to say in my original post was that we, as a group of like-minded motorhome users, ensure that we are doing our part to help new users. We already do so, and I stated quite clearly that I was a recipient of this help when I first joined this forum. This "education" is making sure that new owners aren't confused by mixing up the meaning of grey and black waste (which, again, we already do) as well as helping people who do want to try "wild camping" by giving them suggestions as to where they can safely and responsibly dump the various wastes that are inevitable. Here, I'll even give some suggestions right now:

1 - Self-service "jet wash" type car washes are great for dumping grey waste. They legally have to go into a sewer system (at least in Poland where I live), you can get at least your cab area nice and shiny (which also will rinse the are with nice soapy water) and you are putting a little money into the local area.

2 - Always use either the green toilet liquid as it means you are certain, as can be the owners, that any septic tank type system won't be harmed by your using it to dump your black waste.

3 - In Poland, before many rest areas/ service stations (certainly on the main A-roads and motorways) you will see a sign listing the various facilities. If you see the big "WC" sign with a smaller "Bus" legend on the same white background, it means that there will be a place where you can safely dump both your grey and your black waste. Normally there will also be drinking water as well. It is becoming more common to see the small blue "camper service points" at these, although many still have a small steel flap for you to open in order to dump. Both your grey and black go down the same hole.
we went as far as Białowieża in 2012 - loved it! Then, it was difficult sometimes to track down campsites , but we had a great time , and in 3 weeks - never saw another UK regustered van.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I sympathise with these concerns and also get so angry at those who seem to not care about anyone other than themselves.
I have not given up politely pointing out to people what they are doing that’s not acceptable but I’ve also got used to loads of abuse back and being told to FO.
My wife thinks one day I will get punched or something worse - but someone has to say something.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Sounds like a busy tourist area, so why not build a toilet block for the tourists.
Probably because it is not an official camp site and is an AONB.
I can see the reason to build a toilet block but it would probably only encourage more of the same horrible behavior.
We tried a so called wild camping spot in Spain once, if wild camping means less than a metre between vans, a place stinking of sewage rubbish everywhere, people with very expensive vans, trying to save the very low cost of a proper camp site. I will always go for a proper site.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Probably because it is not an official camp site and is an AONB.
I can see the reason to build a toilet block but it would probably only encourage more of the same horrible behavior.
We tried a so called wild camping spot in Spain once, if wild camping means less than a metre between vans, a place stinking of sewage rubbish everywhere, people with very expensive vans, trying to save the very low cost of a proper camp site. I will always go for a proper site.
You forget they are living the dream. Haha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back