50mph on the motorway. (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Why do people drive quite new motorhomes at 50 mph on busy motorways? I've travelled 50 miles or so on the M4 the last couple of Friday afternoons and have been surprised how many newish motorhomes I've passed going along at about 50 mph. Slow enough that there is a line of lorries overtaking them. My van is 25 years old but is still happy at 60, I generally trundle along at about 56 so as not to have to overtake too many artics, I would hate to be continually overtaken by them. My works transit will happily do 80mph fully loaded so why so slow? It's hardly because the driver is enjoying the scenery!

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It is but not like it used to be but old habits die hard
I agree that if I had a brand new van I might keep it down to maybe 60 mph for the first few thousand miles but these were not brand new, just newish modern vans.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Why do people drive quite new motorhomes at 50 mph on busy motorways? I've travelled 50 miles or so on the M4 the last couple of Friday afternoons and have been surprised how many newish motorhomes I've passed going along at about 50 mph. Slow enough that there is a line of lorries overtaking them. My van is 25 years old but is still happy at 60, I generally trundle along at about 56 so as not to have to overtake too many artics, I would hate to be continually overtaken by them. My works transit will happily do 80mph fully loaded so why so slow? It's hardly because the driver is enjoying the scenery!
Probably just to cause an obstruction. There are many road users that like to do this. I’ve even had them cause an obstruction whilst I’ve tried to pass them on blue lights.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It's comfortable and feels very safe at 70 on the motorway, it will go quicker if required. 60 is the limit on dual carriageways.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I drive the motorhome at 50mph because;

I'm comfortable at that speed.
My reaction time.
The braking distance for my van is long.
Steadying the vehicle when cross winds or other air disturbances catch the vehicle.
Wind noise.
Fuel economy.
Internal rattles.
I am never in a rush.

I try to stay aware of traffic action around me and slow or speed up to help other vehicles maintain their momentum.

I still remember when learning that the speed limit was a guide, not a target.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't see why fuel economy comes into any discussion on this, our Renault master just does 35 mpg all the time, 80 on mways or trundling at 50 on byways , never varies , tried it time after time for thousands of miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can't see why fuel economy comes into any discussion on this, our Renault master just does 35 mpg all the time, 80 on mways or trundling at 50 on byways , never varies , tried it time after time for thousands of miles.
I can get 22+ at 55 and 15 at 70. Sometimes not about fuel economy, it’s about going much longer between fill ups 😀

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
65 mph is enough for my PVC. Noise alone is unacceptable above that and I don’t need to see the fuel gauge needle moving (enough of a shock putting I’ve £90 of fuel in on a 1/4 full tank as it is.

it can be an offence to go too slow if you are causing an obstruction

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
sorry what does it matter what others prefer to travel at speeds PROVIDING they sit in the inside lane.

Life is about the journey NOT the destination, hence no real rush to get there.

No offense given just our point of view.

Our speed largely depends on the need/time constraints to be somewhere. These days unless a specific reason wander down the motorways at 56-60 mph. As over 3.5T quite happy to roll along at 50-60-70 mph when appropriate/needed.

Chill enjoy the fabulous UK countryside.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I can understand the problem on single lane roads where you should try abd keep up with the flow of traffic ...but on dual carriageway and 3 lane motorway etc thats why theres more than one lane.
That's fine on some dual carriageways, not so good when it's the only way north from the biggest container port in Europe (was), someone dawdling at 50mph forces the artics into lane 2. It is frustrating for me, and my truck doesn't do fast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back