No Holidays abroad Allowed (2 Viewers)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Totally agree with the new rules. Also noticed that it appears we can travel to the Republic of Ireland as long as we don't use that country to go to another country. So maybe a drive along the Wild Atlantic Way is on the cards? The Isle of Man is also possible but I wouldn't recommend it for motorhomes. :p

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
what happens when you come back from your jaunt with a new variant and then it starts all over again
We managed it twice last year without a vaccination and this year we would have had both jabs. I think the risk from returning MHer's is very small.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
All the time, money and effort put in to the vaccine. Not to mention the relentless media campaign telling us how many people are jabbed means we haven't really hedged our bets. We've stuck everything on vaccination so quite rightly need to do everything we can to protect it.

We can't afford to let a mutation flare up in the country that the vax is ineffective against.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not so martin, according to the ongoing trials they are resistant to all current variants offering varying levels of protection all of them significant.
Agreed but what about new variants?

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
So why have we spent all this money on vaccines then?
As far as I am aware they have not yet proved that vaccinated persons do not carry the virus. Therefore even though vaccinated anyone coming into this country could bring the virus back in which might be a variant which cannot be controlled. Until there is more evidence and knowledge just accept these temporary measures and be grateful for being alive.
ezee

Deleted User
Complete infringement on civil liberties and human rights. This stasi regime we now live in are chipping away at every part of our lifes policed by a state run militia . Why have we stood aside and allowed this. I hope that they government’s extension of their 6 month Covid legislation is blocked later this week but unfortunately we have an ineffective opposition in Parliament and regional assemblies in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland that are ineffective and just want to play games. I never thought I would ever seen anything so sinister as this in my lifetime
So are you saying remove all restrictions and allow everyone to do what the want regardless of the Covid situation.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
But these holidaymakers may well in some part be replaced by those from EU countries to some extent. Especially if the stags and hens are still in the coup as it were which might make lots of venues more attractive possibly.
The EU tourists who might come here might be of the unvaccinated variety.

Deleted User
Not so martin, according to the ongoing trials they are resistant to all current variants offering varying levels of protection all of them significant.
From the BHF website.

A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the South African variant.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the South African strain. More research is needed in this area.

Oxford University is working on adapting the vaccine to ensure that it protects against this variant, as well as other strains. They have said a ‘booster’ jab could be available by autumn 2021.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Can’t remember the exact words but did Boris say a third waved could roll up on are shores ? I thought they already were :rolleyes::unsure:

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The way its reported here this is to back up the existing restrictions and so should end on May 17th

Any further extension of this would be a gross infringement of our civil rights and I for one would be joining the protests.
You won't be able to protest; up to 10 years for peaceful protests.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The majority of people I know have taken this very seriously. I think it’s only a minority that haven’t. The news and newspapers don’t portray real life. I know I live in quiet Sherborne but one of my sons lives in London and the streets are pretty empty. He has to go into work as he works with the homeless.
Where I live many have not taken the lockdown seriously with our seafront and car parks packed out at weekends and on sunny days, these are not local people proven by the numbers that the police have fined for driving up to 150 miles to walk on the beach.
Fortunately in spite of this we seem to be coming out of the worst but as we know that could change.
The vaccine is now our banker 👍

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Complete infringement on civil liberties and human rights. This stasi regime we now live in are chipping away at every part of our lifes policed by a state run militia . Why have we stood aside and allowed this. I hope that they government’s extension of their 6 month Covid legislation is blocked later this week but unfortunately we have an ineffective opposition in Parliament and regional assemblies in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland that are ineffective and just want to play games. I never thought I would ever seen anything so sinister as this in my lifetime
Trying to be considered in my reply to this...........utter nonsense IMHO.👎
I’m just thankful that people with these sort of views have not been in charge of the way this country has had to fight this killer disease.
Stasi regime? I think if you really lived under such a regime you would know it. Try Burma or North Korea.
State run militia? You know what, I wish we did have such an organisation to stop some of the rioting stupidity we are suffering rather than the muted way our police can act.
Human rights? Yes, not to die because of selfish people who want to wander around transmitting disease.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We managed it twice last year without a vaccination and this year we would have had both jabs. I think the risk from returning MHer's is very small.
Agree but this ban is more aimed at Mass tourism,,ie package holidays...we Motorhomes only account for a small percentage.Very difficult just to bend the law just for us BUSBY.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What surprises me is that anyone is surprised.

The road map suggested the easing of international travel restrictions from 21 June and possibly some lesser easing from 17 May. However all this was always subject to a report by the Global Travel Taskforce which is not due to be published until12 April. Scientists and even some ministers have for weeks been saying it is too early to book foreign travel. The public softening up for bad news on foreign travel began within days of the road map being published.

The easing of restrictions is all about reviving our economy and I can’t see the Government taking any risks with importing more infection and variants by allowing mixing with less vaccinated populations. Vaccines are not 100% and herd immunity doesn’t work if you let your mostly immune herd mix with someone else’s infected herd.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Totally agree with the new rules. Also noticed that it appears we can travel to the Republic of Ireland as long as we don't use that country to go to another country. So maybe a drive along the Wild Atlantic Way is on the cards? The Isle of Man is also possible but I wouldn't recommend it for motorhomes. :p
I wonder how long before we see some travellers start and finish their European tour in Ireland route planner sorted - Holyhead -Dublin -Cherbourg-Benidorm-Roscoff- Cork- Larne- Stranraer 😂🍦

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
As for going abroad most countries will require PCR tests to enter and to return home test before departure 10 days quarantine and tests day 2 and 8. I can't see that requirement ending any time soon.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I totally agree with the proposed temporary continuing of restrictions of travel abroad , yes with an almost fully vaccinated population the risks are smaller but outside the U.K. that will not be the case for some time and the risk of a vaccine dodging variant coming in could set us back yet again.
I want to travel but those needs are purely selfish.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
The Kite they are currently flying is to extend it by some months. Its very hard to see justification for this when numbers all round are down and even on the wobbly figures supplied deaths are likely to be in single figures before May when if it follows last year the seasonal aspect will alter.
The issue is not the figures here in England but the apparent third wave that seems to be getting reported in Europe. The government are obviously concerned that holiday makers are returning from countries with high rates and possibly different mutations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back