New van to pick up in these 'essential travel only times' (2 Viewers)

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
What would 'Cummings' do?. I ordered a new Ducato Xlh3 back in a non lock down period last year, It is now ready for collection 2.5hrs drive from me. I have an injured right ankle. My wife doesn't feel comfortable collecting the van on her own. 2 people getting a train from London to Chesterfield to collect a New van and drive back to London......allowed or nor allowed????

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
This wouldn't be classed as essential travel. I'm sure you'd make it on to the BBC news if caught. Perhaps ask the company if they'll deliver it.
You can't use it at the mo so just wait until the situation eases. Frustrating though.

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
PS, It's a bare van not yet a motorhome, to be converted by me at my property.

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
If you havent already paid in full, I would suggest you ask the company if they are able to deliver it for you. I’m sure they want the balance of payment as quickly as possible, and they are allowed to deliver during lockdown. If you dont ask you don’t get, I’ve got a used van being delivered next week from a company 3 hours away. Offer to pay the fuel or even a return train ticket for the driver. Well worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie

This from 'driving uk' web site.​

Cars can be sold via click and collect in England and Wales​

However, the government has permitted dealerships to operate a “click and collect” service, meaning that you can place your order online and collect the car from the dealership, or have them deliver it to you, in a contact-free manner. This could prove to be a critical service for those who need to replace their cars in order to carry out essential travel during lockdown.

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
everything I read indicates the collecting a new vehicle is allowed, especially as it was ordered in a non lock down period. I will enquire about it being delivered, but don't hold much hope...I'm not looking for a way around the guidance rule's just what is reasonable...I could take a Covid test every day three day's before collection then isolate when home....I'll give Cummings a ring !!!!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You have to ask yourself is it essential, if your going to use it for an essential service probably would be, but sounds like you have made your mind up about collecting it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It can’t be essential to collect a motorcaravan that your not allowed to use once collected.

Also two people making a journey, as you have a dodgy ankle, would be easy, wait till your better, and you halve the potential fines at least

However, if you have read something that suggests different perhaps you could share the source and enlighten us all?

Certainly gov.uk web site says it’s not essential

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the dealer was a few miles away I think it would be fine but 2½ hr drive no way.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
everything I read indicates the collecting a new vehicle is allowed, especially as it was ordered in a non lock down period. I will enquire about it being delivered, but don't hold much hope...I'm not looking for a way around the guidance rule's just what is reasonable...I could take a Covid test every day three day's before collection then isolate when home....I'll give Cummings a ring !!!!
I don't see how the fact you ordered it before lockdown comes into whether it's ok to travel to collect it. I haven't seen any excemptions for that reason. If you have another vehicle and it's a hobby converting it then it's no different to ordering say a greenhouse and travelling that far to collect it.

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
It can’t be essential to collect a motorcaravan that your not allowed to use once collected.

Also two people making a journey, as you have a dodgy ankle, would be easy, wait till your better, and you halve the potential fines at least

However, if you have read something that suggests different perhaps you could share the source and enlighten us all?

Certainly gov.uk web site says it’s not essential
It's a bare van..to be converted by myself at my property.

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I don't see how the fact you ordered it before lockdown comes into whether it's ok to travel to collect it. I haven't seen any excemptions for that reason. If you have another vehicle and it's a hobby converting it then it's no different to ordering say a greenhouse and travelling that far to collect it.
Absolutely agree with you....thats why I'm trying to get to the bottom of what is allowed and not....

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
If you havent already paid in full, I would suggest you ask the company if they are able to deliver it for you. I’m sure they want the balance of payment as quickly as possible, and they are allowed to deliver during lockdown. If you dont ask you don’t get, I’ve got a used van being delivered next week from a company 3 hours away. Offer to pay the fuel or even a return train ticket for the driver. Well worth it.
That's a very good suggestion will be calling tomorrow.....Cheers

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This article reads, Gov allowed collection vehicle's
I think this bit in the article is important

This could prove to be a critical service for those who need to replace their cars in order to carry out essential travel during lockdown.

I think if you're stopped and can reasonably show thats why you are travelling you are likely to have a reasonable explanation.
Our son is buying a remote house in Scotland and we are giving him out previous car. We had it serviced and snow tyres on ready for him to collect at Christmas. Its still on the drive it's not essential.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I don’t think there is any way you could read the rules to make it fit you being allowed to collect it. Maybe a car is allowed to be collected on click and collect but only if it’s the person’s only form of essential travel. And that would be if it was a local journey.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The train ride would be a no for me so picking van up would be a no no - even if permitted under guidance.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you have to ask, it isn't essential but I would pursue the delivery option.
It's a long way coming back but maybe get the week's shopping en route?

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Hi bluebenz1 Mr. Cummings would not pick it up now subsequent to the backlash and ridicule that he received in LD1 unless the vehicle is essential for key worker status daily travel.
I don’t think it matters if it is a bare van or a motorhome? If the vehicle is not for essential travel once you have click and collected then the trip to collect it is not deemed essential either. The very article that you shared concluded with this.
I can empathise with your situation - you have paid for the vehicle and now it’s ready you just want to crack on with your exciting project. If it were me in your shoes, I would arrange delivery of the vehicle as previously suggested. That way you stay within the law, you do not expose yourself to any unnecessary CV risk and you have more chance of flagging vehicle flaws or concerns with a detailed PDI of the vehicle at your premises than you do on the forecourt.
Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing some photos on here soon.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
As you have a bad foot why would you want to be driving it back anyway and getting in and off trains. If the dealer want their money I am sure they would arrange for it to be delivered. Even at your cost it’s still better than risking your health. The cost of two train tickets would go along way towards the delivery costs. (y)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Bought a new Honda bike from a dealer 200 miles away a couple of weeks ago, paid a deposit and said cannot collect until allowed to travel, or you can deliver, they delivered!
Left my car in Germany 8 weeks ago, having travelled over to collect my Hyme, I intended to fly back to collect the car, but circumstances led to 2 subsequent flight cancellations and re-booking to 1/4/21. Least week I bit the bullet and haVe arranged for it to be collected and delivered to home by a vehicle shipper.
My opinion, if you need it that badly, get it delivered, it’s not worth either breaking the current law or getting sick.
And, good luck with your conversion.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

However, the government has permitted dealerships to operate a “click and collect” service, meaning that you can place your order online and collect the car from the dealership, or have them deliver it to you, in a contact-free manner. This could prove to be a critical service for those who need to replace their cars in order to carry out essential travel during lockdown.
What I have made bold says all you need to know doesnt it.

Im with you, Id be itching to get started but you are asking for the rules and there they are above.
"replace your car for essential travel "
not

"pick up a van to convert to a camper"

Not having a go.... just stating for what you asked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back