New van to pick up in these 'essential travel only times' (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The train ride would be a no for me so picking van up would be a no no - even if permitted under guidance.
that was what I was thinking 2 travelling on a train , not my idea of an essential risk let alone travel, I struggled with essential repairs to my car (water pouring through the electrics) and as mentioned in another post had to travel a 42 mile round trip to get it done.

If worst was to happen you caught this horrible virus,, if your lady wife could not manage on her own for some tasks and you 'only' have an injured ankle. How would she manage without you if you caught it and the worst happened and she was left alone.

Although you could justify journey is the risk worth it ?

Deleted User
What if the seller says they can't guarantee safe storage if not collected, I assume your insurance company wouldn't be happy with that so what choice do you have - cancel the purchase or collect it on the basis the insurance company won't offer cover. It would be hard to prove you needed 2 drivers as I doubt the reasons you have mentioned in OP wouldn't be accepted by the police.
If there is an alternative of seller delivering vehicle at a reasonable cost then it would be very hard to justify to police why you needed to collect in person.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
On a more serious note:
If you are not going to be starting to work on the van immediately, I'd leave it at the Dealers as long as you can.

If you intend on starting work on the van as soon as it get back home, then can you wife drive you both there and then you drive the van back (with ankle issue)

We left our van at the dealers for 4 months before we picked it up as there was nothing we could do with it, and they had the space.
It also saved us 4 months storage fees

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Straight answer? No you cannot go and collect it. The rules are very clear. Any other "answer" is just trying to justify it to yourself..

If you must have it at home your only solution is to have it delivered - but even then I would question whether that is within the "spirit" of the rules. It's not "essential" transport is it?

Sorry to be so blunt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure about U.K. but our van was ready just at first lockdown in March and couldn’t pick up till beginning of June but we had a distance restriction on our lockdown .

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Ask the company to employ you for a day as a driver, and then deliver the van :LOL:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
everything I read indicates the collecting a new vehicle is allowed, especially as it was ordered in a non lock down period. I will enquire about it being delivered, but don't hold much hope...I'm not looking for a way around the guidance rule's just what is reasonable...I could take a Covid test every day three day's before collection then isolate when home....I'll give Cummings a ring !!!!

You didn’t read the bolded sentence below then?

However, the government has permitted dealerships to operate a “click and collect” service, meaning that you can place your order online and collect the car from the dealership, or have them deliver it to you, in a contact-free manner. This could prove to be a critical service for those who need to replace their cars in order to carry out essential travel during lockdown.

Not sure that your stated intended purpose below meets the bolded requirement above.
PS, It's a bare van not yet a motorhome, to be converted by me at my property.

The situation seems very clear; that this would not be a permitted journey.

Ian

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
If you have to ask, it isn't essential but I would pursue the delivery option.
It's a long way coming back but maybe get the week's shopping en route?
H Haaa, indeed a bit of essential shopping on the way...It's looking more like a delivery option...saves all the travel head ache.....I could say I was picking up a replacement work van as I'm self employed builder but then I would be telling a fib !!!!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:LOL: If you get the van delivered what excuse are you going to use to get all the stuff you need for the conversion ;):doh:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
indeed a bit of essential shopping on the way...

I could say I was picking up a replacement work van as I'm self employed builder but then I would be telling a fib !!!!!
Judging by the amount of traffic on the roads.....you wouldn’t be the only one.
🤫 😉

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
:LOL: If you get the van delivered what excuse are you going to use to get all the stuff you need for the conversion ;):doh:
almost everything is available as a delivery....as I'm in home renovation I can get any other stuff from merchants at the same time as getting materials for customers....

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Round here the builders merchants, timber yards, B&Q, Screwfix, Electrical distributors etc. are all open and there are vans and trucks outside many houses where skips are being filled, drives paved, kitchens being ripped out, scaffolding going up...................

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
almost everything is available as a delivery....as I'm in home renovation I can get any other stuff from merchants at the same time as getting materials for customers....
I take it you are not going to use lightweight ply for furniture etc, campervan window s and skylights ,12v stuff 3 way fridge etc 😉

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We are having trucks andvans delivered all over the country by delivery companies
Get it delivered,as you have indicated 250-300 with fuel
Pittance compared to total project cost

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I take it you are not going to use lightweight ply for furniture etc, campervan window s and skylights ,12v stuff 3 way fridge etc 😉
Yes am using all of the above....all available for delivery...dometic crx 80l delivered, maxxfan delivered, voyager 4500 delivered, swivel plates on their way, looking into Balsa ply (Banova Plus) as an alternative to lightweight ply, composting WC made, Alto flooring deliverable, foam backed Vinyl deliverable, Insulation material deliverable etc etc etc.....

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
We are having trucks andvans delivered all over the country by delivery companies
Get it delivered,as you have indicated 250-300 with fuel
Pittance compared to total project cost
If you have any names of companies that would be useful.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes am using all of the above....all available for delivery...dometic crx 80l delivered, maxxfan delivered, voyager 4500 delivered, swivel plates on their way, looking into Balsa ply (Banova Plus) as an alternative to lightweight ply, composting WC made, Alto flooring deliverable, foam backed Vinyl deliverable, Insulation material deliverable etc etc etc.....
The composting toilet is interesting ... there was a funster last year who was wanting to rip out a traditional toilet in a new MH to put one in but it was pretty much a non-starter then ... what are you actually doing?

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
It looks pretty much like a normal wc, with a standard soft close seat, you sit to do everything !!! the urine does into a urine diverter, from 'Free Range Designs' into a container and poo falls into a square container lined with a large compostable food liner (or two) that has a drying medium, wood pellets, coconut hair, wood shavings anything that absorbs moisture, then cover with a bit more trying medium, a hole is made in the back of the WC box and flexible tube (old vacuum cleaner hose) is attached with a small fan that constantly draws air into the WC box and exhausts it through the hose and out through the bottom of the van, this dries the poo (poo is around 80% water). Its a ply box, vertical exterior is clad with thin copper sheet (from scrap yard) and the rest of the ply I've covered with polyurethane white Gell coat so it can easily be cleaned.

OP
OP
B

bluebenz1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I think this bit in the article is important

This could prove to be a critical service for those who need to replace their cars in order to carry out essential travel during lockdown.

I think if you're stopped and can reasonably show thats why you are travelling you are likely to have a reasonable explanation.
Our son is buying a remote house in Scotland and we are giving him out previous car. We had it serviced and snow tyres on ready for him to collect at Christmas. Its still on the drive it's not essential.
Its all the 'could prove' type comments that make it debatable...but am definitely looking at the delivery option..cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back