Motorhome security advice (3 Viewers)

lauramcgee8

Free Member
Dec 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Hi, Hope you all had a good break over Christmas. As new motorhome owners, we are keen to try and make our motorhome as secure as possible. We have read about wheel locks, pedal clamps, door and window locks, immobilisers and trackers. There is so much out there that it’s hard to decide what to do for the best. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also, we have a drive that it could live on, but we are happy to pay for it to be stored more securely somewhere. We live near Wrexham, North Wales, so any recommendations for the best storage places would be most welcome too. Many thanks and a happy new year. Laura

OP
OP
L

lauramcgee8

Free Member
Dec 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
That sounds like exactly what we need. Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome! :hi: If you opt for paid subscription there are also some discounts on security products here Link Removed / Loads of helpful info. on here too about all the types of security products that you mentioned if you haven't already searched on these.
Sure some Funsters in your area will be along soon to advise on storage areas ...

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
one thing about having it parked on your driveway is HOME security, if the van is gone the scum will now you are away.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
I’m afraid there is no easy answer to security, mine has a few different things to deter thieves however if they want it they will take it. There isn’t anything on the market that makes our pride and joy totally safe.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
one thing about having it parked on your driveway is HOME security, if the van is gone the scum will now you are away.
That's if they have spent they time watching your house waiting for you to go away in your MH, which I would have though is very unlikely.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
But we always leave the car for our 20 stone rugby league prop forward son who and his Rottweiler who lives with us :clap2: :Eeek:
You are lucky unfortunately thepet spider wont be much good.
That's if they have spent they time watching your house waiting for you to go away in your MH, which I would have though is very unlikely.
Don't think they would specifically do that, but we live by a main road and it is noticed when our vehicles are away, as we know to our cost.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I’m afraid there is no easy answer to security, mine has a few different things to deter thieves however if they want it they will take it. There isn’t anything on the market that makes our pride and joy totally safe.
Correct , just the fact as mentioned many a. time just got to try and slow them down in their efforts to steal !!!!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its a balancing act between cost and value we would all love all singing all dancing alarms and trackers but the cost is prohibitive If theft is the main worry you cant beat a good pedal lock and disc lock if your woried about intruders the interior door locks are the thing your never going to stop the smash a window grab and run merchants as mostly they dont care who hears an alarm

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We have ours stored under cover about 6 miles from you in Wrexham, 24 CCTV and on-site security.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The most at risk area though parked on the driveway.

Not on my drive way ---- especially with the injector rail unplugged.

van.jpg

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no 2 solutions are the same with security, however you can tailor a package of deterrents to protect your van. My opinion is that it is safer at home. Thieves regularly target storage sites knowing that they get a choice of vans

What you need to remember is that you will NOT keep a thief out with plastic windows, plastic locks and easily defeated standard vehicle locks etc. Stopping them driving off in your vehicle CAN be achieved

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
no 2 solutions are the same with security, however you can tailor a package of deterrents to protect your van. My opinion is that it is safer at home. Thieves regularly target storage sites knowing that they get a choice of vans

What you need to remember is that you will NOT keep a thief out with plastic windows, plastic locks and easily defeated standard vehicle locks etc. Stopping them driving off in your vehicle CAN be achieved
I'm not so sure, mines locked in a warehouse/barn with 24 other cara***ns and motorhomes. It's combination locked and a keypad alarm under CCTV cameras and onsite manned security. Which has gotta be better than on the drive. The only downside risk would be fire. I've 24kg lpg tank so I wouldn't want to be near that in a fire. All the anti antitheft measures I could use on my drive are also usable in the locked barn. So alarm and tracker still on, and dead locks on all doors.

As someone has already mentioned, MH on the drive means you might be home. MH that lives on the drive missing...... you're probably not.

OP
OP
L

lauramcgee8

Free Member
Dec 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Augusta08 Thanks for your response. Would you be able to let me know the name of the storage place near Wrexham please? Thanks.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001

I'm not so sure, mines locked in a warehouse/barn with 24 other cara***and and motorhome. It's combination locked and a keypad alarm under CCTV cameras and onsite manned security. Which has gotta be better than on the drive. The only downside risk would be fire. I've 24kg lpg tank so I wouldn't want to be near that in a fire. All the anti antitheft measures I could use on my drive are also usable in the locked barn. So alarm and tracker still on, and dead locks on all doors.

As someone has already mentioned, MH on the drive means you might be home. MH that lives on the drive missing...... you're probably not
Augusta08 Thanks for your response. Would you be able to let me know the name of the storage place near Wrexham please? Thanks.
Manor Wood Storage Coddington 01829782990

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
BTW they have a spare space, I have paid till April to keep a car trailer there but don't need the space.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As someone has already mentioned, MH on the drive means you might be home. MH that lives on the drive missing...... you're probably not

Are people really so neurotic about the house being empty, or even looking empty?
We have never worried and we are not even insured - at all - not even for contents.
The most expensive thing in our house is probably the washing machine.
We have never collected jewellery or watches so there is very little of value in the house to steal.
We take our mobile phones and the Kindle away with us.
We take the same attitude with the van - we never leave anything in it worth stealing.
We don't take any special precautions to avoid a break in - we don't leave anything to nick.

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
Just decide on a few sensible quality security devices and try not to get too paranoid.
I prefer to have the van on my driveway where i can keep an eye on it and nobody will scuff it. I have a good alarm/ tracker, wheel clamp and pro plates to protect the Duccato door locks which are quite vulnerable to attack.

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
Hi, Hope you all had a good break over Christmas. As new motorhome owners, we are keen to try and make our motorhome as secure as possible. We have read about wheel locks, pedal clamps, door and window locks, immobilisers and trackers. There is so much out there that it’s hard to decide what to do for the best. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also, we have a drive that it could live on, but we are happy to pay for it to be stored more securely somewhere. We live near Wrexham, North Wales, so any recommendations for the best storage places would be most welcome too. Many thanks and a happy new year. Laura
Look up Eastwick storage 8 miles from Wrexham. Gold CASSOA

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back