OP
L

lauramcgee8

Free Member
Dec 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Just decide on a few sensible quality security devices and try not to get too paranoid.
I prefer to have the van on my driveway where i can keep an eye on it and nobody will scuff it. I have a good alarm/ tracker, wheel clamp and pro plates to protect the Duccato door locks which are quite vulnerable to attack.
Thanks

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Think you need to be a paid up member dont know if u r or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive

Dec 24, 2020
Wild West Wales
Funster No
MH
murvi morocco
Exp
Too shy to mention but some!
Thank you for this but Iā€™m obviously being really thick in that Iā€™m fully paid up member but I donā€™t know where to find the publication you cite to down load a copy....

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Thank you for this but Iā€™m obviously being really thick in that Iā€™m fully paid up member but I donā€™t know where to find the publication you cite to down load a copy....
Click the link above and then click download in the top righthand corner.....

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As has been said previously. The security required should be layered. If you store your van at home or on secure site having immobiliser would be in my opinion number one, that will prevent the unit being driven off. Alarm for outside the house would alert issues that you can react too when you are at home. In storage any activation probably will not be reacted too. Then its down to prevention to gain access. There are various after market security devices to slow down thieves gaining access, again on storage most times they have plenty of time.
So its is all about balance.
As we are using the van and leaving it for short periods in normally open spaces, I place importance on time deterrent along with audible alarm backed up with electronic alert to me via phone. That way if I have an activation I know there is a problem and can make our way back to the van. That in itself can be slow response if we have gone off for the day. So as I said its balance.

Regarding personal effects left in the van. Many have secret hidden locations to hide away the important things. Little cubby holes are very difficult to find when a opportunist thief has broken in. Think what they will be looking for- money, passports, electronic things. These well hidden away and an alarm installed like a Growler (Vanbitz) can make searching for these very unpleasant.
Good luck with your travels

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Wheel clamp, Steering wheel cover, OBD cover, window stickers advertising said fitted OBD cover, added internal locks, alarm, tracker, Hive based CCTV, PIR lights and a removable bollard for when my beast of a car isn't sitting 2 inches in front of the bumper. Unfortunately I sold the Beretta 1301 & Stoeger M3K shotguns which I had in the steel box bolted to the garage floor... my left shoulder can't take it anymore.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We insure our vehicles, with two (inc motorhome) having trackers.
After that, I don't worry nor lose sleep about any of them being nicked. They are only "things". Far more important things in life to worry about.

You can put as many locks, alarms, clamps and whatsits on a vehicle, but if someone wants it, it'll always be easy for the determined.

Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
I thought long and hard about ā€˜van security when we were going to leave our ā€˜big ticketā€™ van on our drive whilst we were away long term. The bottom line is that if some lowlife really wants it, (or is stealing it to order), they would turn up with a flatbed truck, winch, and hi vis jacket. How many vehicles have you seen on the backs of breakdown trucks, flashers going and screaming their horns off? In some cases, itā€™s not even necessary to get into the ā€˜casualtyā€™ vehicle to move it.
My solution was to remove 2 wheels and replace with axle stands. (Plus secreting the wheel bolts). Not exactly uberconvenient but VERY cost effective.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I'm not so sure, mines locked in a warehouse/barn with 24 other cara***ns and motorhomes. It's combination locked and a keypad alarm under CCTV cameras and onsite manned security. Which has gotta be better than on the drive. The only downside risk would be fire. I've 24kg lpg tank so I wouldn't want to be near that in a fire. All the anti antitheft measures I could use on my drive are also usable in the locked barn. So alarm and tracker still on, and dead locks on all doors.

As someone has already mentioned, MH on the drive means you might be home. MH that lives on the drive missing...... you're probably not.
Mine runs on Lpg so it would have approx. 300+ litres to go bang. It would however take out a few plastic boxes with it. In Storage 24h access, man in a van on site, video security, keypads for two electric gates. Frodsham. Same storage as Top dog on here!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Mine runs on Lpg so it would have approx. 300+ litres to go bang. It would however take out a few plastic boxes with it. In Storage 24h access, man in a van on site, video security, keypads for two electric gates. Frodsham. Same storage as Top dog on here!
I wonder how your man in a van on site is going to react if he has a sawn off shotgun stuffed up his nose ?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
For me there are two types of security.

Stopping entrance to the van -
That's just not possible. No matter how good the alarm is --- or how loud it is.
The buggers will be in and out in seconds only picking up what's at hand - and valuable -and he can still run away with.

Stealing the whole van-
I only worry about this one.
I have installed a couple of devices that I am 100% confident will stop them nicking it --

aside from them bringing a load loader. :Eeek:

TerryDunlea

Free Member
Oct 20, 2014
Rhyl
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Been Towing Caravans for Years , now have a nice Burstner .
Hi, Hope you all had a good break over Christmas. As new motorhome owners, we are keen to try and make our motorhome as secure as possible. We have read about wheel locks, pedal clamps, door and window locks, immobilisers and trackers. There is so much out there that itā€™s hard to decide what to do for the best. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also, we have a drive that it could live on, but we are happy to pay for it to be stored more securely somewhere. We live near Wrexham, North Wales, so any recommendations for the best storage places would be most welcome too. Many thanks and a happy new year. Laura
Your drive would be just as safe as most ā€˜Secure Storage ā€˜ sites , and You can keep Your eyes on it !! Stay Safe , Happy travels (when You can ?)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Are you a subscriber us paid your dues ? If you are you should be able download it , I will check and get back to you
I cannot download this neither, Iā€™m o. iPhone so I will try my computer but it should work on iPhone ?

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Researching new MH
Exp
Was in a CID officer many years ago, most thieves are not too bright and are opportunists. If you live in a very affluent area, in a large house, off the road with gates etc then you become more of a target.

You can only appear to be less of a target/more difficult than others nearby... and have good insurance, don't worry too much, its a bit of a lottery if you are a victim of crime.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I wonder how your man in a van on site is going to react if he has a sawn off shotgun stuffed up his nose ?
Armed robbery is actually very rare, as most thieves want to be in and out within a minute or two. Stealing a motorhome the thief may get a couple of years prison at most. A firearm could be a life sentence if used

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If you honestly believe that a local villain would use a 'sawnoff shotgun' to nick a motorhome then you are delusional. Glad I don't live in your area!
Here's an example of your "secure" storage, plus you no stuff all about my area.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Some of the travelling fraternity will have no compunctions about carrying and using a firearm to achieve their objectives and as has been shown, will not stop for a police officer if they think they can get away and will show no remorse for causing grievous harm. However, in my own personal experience, can be very polite to an armed officer šŸ˜Š

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back