Pet Passport. (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Is anyone on top of the requirements yet? My dogs had the pitre test and rabies jab, but I am now reading that I may need to get a new passport, does this seem right or have I miss read the information? Or is it all conjecture until these current discussions are finalised? Any ideas?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK the original passport will still be accepted but you may need additional stuff to go with it, such as a certificate from your UK vet a short time prior to travel to confirm the dog is okay. That's all I can gleam for now until they update the info from 'may' to 'must'.

As for the titre test, one of our dogs had it done yonks ago when she got her pet passport under the old rules and our other got hers under the new rules but we aren't certain whether she needs it or not so will wait and see if it is a definite requirement.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think (if true) this means the blood test won't be required.

Hopefully, this site will be updated to reflect this. It currently only reflects the worst case.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
So what happens if you are away longer than 4 months because you've been into morroco for example?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So what happens if you are away longer than 4 months because you've been into morroco for example?
The rules would be the same as they are now. The dog will need a titre (blood) test, but this is a one off and can done in the UK before you leave. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you went to Morocco and "left "the dog with friends in Spain,would you still need the titre test to get back to the UK?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Got the Titre test but that info says the health certificate is only valid for 4 months so what happens after 4 months?

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
You would need a Animal Health Certificate to enter the EU but, would you still require the Pet Pass Port on return to the UK or is it superceded by the Certificate

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
The animal health certificate will not come into force untill the 1st January 2021

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
You would need a Animal Health Certificate to enter the EU but, would you still require the Pet Pass Port on return to the UK or is it superceded by the Certificate
Either can be used for entering the worming treatment, which will still be needed for entry into the UK.

Slioch

Free Member
Apr 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Because of a cock up by my vet last year, my dog's UK Pet Passport was rejected at Eurotunnel Pet Reception in February this year. I had to go to a vet in Calais, who checked all my documents and happily issued a French Pet Passport.
Wonder if that will turn out to be a stroke of luck.:giggle:

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Because of a cock up by my vet last year, my dog's UK Pet Passport was rejected at Eurotunnel Pet Reception in February this year. I had to go to a vet in Calais, who checked all my documents and happily issued a French Pet Passport.
Wonder if that will turn out to be a stroke of luck.:giggle:
My well be, l just hope the Certificate replaces the need for the uk pet pass port

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
What a nice earner for UK vets, £60/£70 per certificate for 10 minutes form filling. What I am unsure about is that the Animal Health Certificate mentions worming treatment. It can't be right that you would have to worm your dog twice in maybe a week, once to enter the EU and then for the return to the UK.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Is it worthwhile getting an eu pet passport whilst over here to save future hassle?
Yes!
Your dog will have more right of entry to the EU than you will.

(However keep the UK one as well, so the dog can get back into the UK without the need to use a smugglers inflatable)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just read this...Posted on FB from ...Clyde Vet Group Small Animal Hospital

PET TRAVEL UPDATE
We have been informed by the government, last night, that the UK will have ‘Part 2’ listed status for pets traveling to the EU after 01/01/2021.
What this means is that all existing UK Pet Passports (see the attached photo) will no longer be valid for travel from 01/01/2021. We hope this message will be read by anyone holding such a passport, but please forward this information on to anyone you know who has such a document so they can be prepared.
From 2300 GMT on 31/12/20 any pet traveling to the EU from the UK will need to be issued with an ‘Animal Health Certificate’ (AHC) by your vet.
The vital things to know about the AHC is that they are ONLY valid for:
• 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU – i.e. they cannot be issued to you more than 10 days before you travel
• A single trip for entry to the EU – they cannot be reused
• Onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
• Re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue.
Unfortunately, veterinary surgeons are not permitted to issue any AHCs until after 22/12/2020.
These AHC are issued as bilingual documents; you will only be able to enter the EU if you hold the correct document for the country you first arrive in. Thus pet owners cannot change their country entry point into the EU once the AHC is completed, otherwise a new AHC would need to be issued.
In addition, as these are large, 10 page, documents that will require a considerable time to complete, and can only be filled by certified veterinary surgeons, it is likely all veterinary practices will be very limited in the number that can be completed prior to 01/01/2021.
This means there may be delays in the issuing of such documents by veterinary practices, and we thank our clients in advance for their patience with this process at this extremely challenging time.
Finally, it should be noted that animals younger than 12 weeks of age are no longer permitted to be exported, and that travel is not permitted until 21 days after Rabies vaccination.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
What a nice earner for UK vets, £60/£70 per certificate for 10 minutes form filling. What I am unsure about is that the Animal Health Certificate mentions worming treatment. It can't be right that you would have to worm your dog twice in maybe a week, once to enter the EU and then for the return to the UK.
The worming treatment is only required for re-entry to the U.K.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
................... and the cost is?
Unknown at the moment but it depends on the vet.. We have had an appointment booked for Jan 11th for some time, but I will be speaking to the vet this coming Monday to clarify certain things
xsparks .. it has been pointed out that although we were all told dogs ( and ferrets ) will HAVE to be tintre tested it now looks like this is not the case as the AHC will supercede them

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
If you click on Clyde Vet Group there are over 170 questions and answers given.
The likely cost is £45 to £60. However if you take more than one dog abroad they all go on the same paperwork so reduces cost somewhat.
No titre test required !!

OP
OP
xsparks
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I phoned our vet and they said as of yet they don't know what's required and referred me to gov.com. I found that of little use and confusing. Perhaps that's just me.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
This sounds better unless I’m misunderstanding.
Not needing a titre test but presumably a rabies vaccine (who wouldn’t want to protect their dog from rabies). Pet passport replaced by a single use form.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
On page 4 of the Animal Health Certificate the Vet is required to complete there is a section for date of echinococcus treatment. As I said I am not sure if this will be required, I hope not however, it is on the form.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
When have vets been cheap :giggle:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Is it worthwhile getting an eu pet passport whilst over here to save future hassle?
I was reading a thread started by a vet on Facebook. She said that it was the country of residence of the pet owner which was the deciding factor with regard to pet passports, so if your residency was British, even if your pet had a Spanish passport, you would require the AHC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back