Ferry route could open between Morocco & Canary Islands (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure if this would be of interest to anybody?

According to the editorial, the Moroccan government is seeking an operator to run a ferry from the south of the country to Fuerteventura, with a suggested crossing time of less than 2 hours.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
100kms in two hours that’s one fast ferry!!!😀😀
Yep, but it’s not unusual. The Condor Rapide does 48kn, which is just under 90km/h. It’s an awesome thing to see from another boat, especially when it’s heading anywhere near you going even half its top speed.

There would be no problem doing the (just under) 100km in under 2 hours. Motorhomes in the Canaries! Yes please!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
That’s excellent news for us if it happens 👍:party2:

Having done the 32 hour crossing three times from Cadiz to Lanzarote then the 20 minutes ferry to Fuerteventura we hate putting Charlie 🐶
in the kennels.
Can’t think of a better diversion than into Morocco then a 2 hr ferry to Fuerteventura 😎😎

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
Absolutely, Yes it is and I’ll be on it as soon as I can, view the Morocco threads on here, lots on fun go some several times.
Morocco is a wonderful and safe country to visit. Combining a visit to Morocco reroute to the Canary Islands particularly if the ferry crossing is 2 hours would be a great way to get to the Canary Islands.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
What are the potentials for wild camping /aires in fuerteventura? Same rules as Spain?

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
What are the potentials for wild camping /aires in fuerteventura? Same rules as Spain?
Over the years, we've noticed a fair bit of wild camping on Fuerteventura.

But once there, it's easy to get to the other islands on local ferries, especially Lanzarote. :giggle: (y)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I would definitely give that one a try. 2 hours is optimistic, all these fast ferries are being phased out. Isle of Man to Liverpool is about 100kms and the Manannan fast craft does does it in 2:45 at 30knots.

I would still settle for that though
300x300_Vessels_Manannan.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When I saw the headline I thought some commercial company had identified a market for a service.

But it is only a government pipedream, so I shall forget it till it happens, and even then with a subsidy which is dropped after year one with the consequent sinking of the project.

As for developping southern Morrocco would it not be better to connect it with mainland Europe instead of outlying islands? Methinks some commercial gain for politicians is the driving motive.

Geoff

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
In principle I welcome the idea but would feel daunted by the 90 days in 180 rule. Not sure how our Spanish compadres would view it. Cross from Algeciras to Maroc spend however long in Maroc, then cross to Fuerteventura (EU) for however long. Then back to Maroc long long drive back up Tangier for the crossing back into EU land and back to Blighty before your 3 months have elapsed. Could entail a chunk of your 3 moths driving.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just checked the mileage. Thick end of 2500 miles for us from home to Tarfaya. Another stumbling block which could upest the applecart is Tarfaya's proximity to Western Sahara, the disputed territory that Maroc & (SADR) Algeria have been squabbling about since Spain relinquished control. It can be difficult for foreigners driving down there and negotiating the many check points along the route.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
In principle I welcome the idea but would feel daunted by the 90 days in 180 rule. Not sure how our Spanish compadres would view it. Cross from Algeciras to Maroc spend however long in Maroc, then cross to Fuerteventura (EU) for however long. Then back to Maroc long long drive back up Tangier for the crossing back into EU land and back to Blighty before your 3 months have elapsed. Could entail a chunk of your 3 moths driving.
Depending on the total duration of the trip, I'd have thought it could be quite helpful to spend some time in Morocco, given the 90 days EU limit is on a rolling basis out of any 180 days.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I just sent the link to a few pals here. Apparently the rumours have been rife for years.

Fingers crossed though.
I'll be taking the 4WD and dirt bikes over there :)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Ideal for us as we would be out of the EU whilst in Morcoco so back to six months away in winter.
last trip we left Fuerteventura and arrived back in the UK about 16 days later because of the 6 months rule and B***** so easy enough to do but no fun☹️

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Depending on the total duration of the trip, I'd have thought it could be quite helpful to spend some time in Morocco, given the 90 days EU limit is on a rolling basis out of any 180 days.
You can stay for 3 months with a standard visa in Maroc, which can be extended if you take up temporary residence on a campsite. The stumbling block, as I see it, would be the French and Spanish date stamps in your passport. Technically your 90 in 180 starts when you land in France or Spain. There may be a way round that if you cross in one year and return during the following year.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
You can stay for 3 months with a standard visa in Maroc, which can be extended if you take up temporary residence on a campsite. The stumbling block, as I see it, would be the French and Spanish date stamps in your passport. Technically your 90 in 180 starts when you land in France or Spain. There may be a way round that if you cross in one year and return during the following year.
So are you saying that by leaving the EU to spend time in Morocco, it doesn't count as time out of the EU as far as the 90-day rule is concerned?

And I'm not sure what difference the calendar year has - none I should have thought.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Over the years, we've noticed a fair bit of wild camping on Fuerteventura.

But once there, it's easy to get to the other islands on local ferries, especially Lanzarote. :giggle: (y)
Mike is spot on👍 lots of wild camping all over the island virtually every tarmac road has a track running parallel alongside.
These lead down to the coast or villages etc and then onto lots of quiet areas some places where the occupants have moved probably to be closer to work/facilities etc.

I don’t know of any Aires but certainly a couple of campsites they reminded me of the French municipal ones but we only drove past and didn’t like the look of them☹️
A new campsite was advertised on a local Fuerte page which looked good (trying to find the page😳) a few garages do water and waste dumps and gas sales.
last year the Guardia Civil moved vans from the El Cotillo areas which were parked alongside the sand dunes which is a major tourist attraction.
Not sure about the laws but hundreds of vans wild camp all over the island.

Tarajalejo, Las Salinas, Playa Blanca are places we’ve visited lots of times to name a few always popular with vans mainly German and
main land Spanish but always had a good chat and laugh with them.

Ferries to other islands are easy and ok prices.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
yeah lots of motorhomes in Tenerife, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria. Wild camping tolerated but very few sites. With the Canaries being in Schengen though not seeing that much advantage

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Yeah it was more for the weather and if we don't enjoy Morocco then would be cool to pop over to the canaries as I've I've holidayed there many times but just flying in for a week in the sun and it would be great to explore them in the motorhome.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
my understanding is that your stay in Morocco could be deducted from the 90 days, although you would have to add any time spent in the canaries. personally not holding my breath but hope the Morocco ferries are running again this winter.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
my understanding is that your stay in Morocco could be deducted from the 90 days, although you would have to add any time spent in the canaries. personally not holding my breath but hope the Morocco ferries are running again this winter.
Your time in Morocco does not count as any of your 90days

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
That’s my take on it all.
Leave home end of October,
three weeks to Morocco, six weeks in Morocco,
six weeks in Fuerteventura,
six weeks in Morocco,
three weeks to home.
If that works ok it would give us the 90 days in the EU but less than six months out of the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back