Screwdriver break-in on my Fiat Ducato Motorhome (2 Viewers)

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Ok same year as ours, maybe I need to look into some form of internal door lock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Ok same year as ours, maybe I need to look into some form of internal door lock.

Same year as mine but I'll not be making any modifications.
It not that they got in, they only nicked his
phone. There was probably nothing else of value to them.
It's the damage they do getting in.
You're never going to stop that.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I personally think a more visible deterrant outside would have saved his door lock

Tying the doors inside etc wouldnt have stopped the door lock being damaged

If the lock is covered with another stronger lock its clear to see

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Two

You cant strap a cab door on an a class

I was traveling from Spain to uk so its not un reasonable to stay on motorway net work for one night and it was piege
Of course you can. You need a long bar, even a broomstick and put it across the opening side, overlapping the wall. Tie this to the door handle and the door can't be opened without force from outside. Inside, just slide it out of the tether and the door can be opened in a couple of seconds. It won't stop them damaging the lock though

A favourite spot for the eastern european gangs to target travellers

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
HeoSafe no drilling lockable ones also available .
Waiting for a set to arrive .
They also do for A class
Or I think milenko(?) Operate from inside also
20201016_194147.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I don't like drilling holes every where but the milenco external arm lock I guess will stop them

They do look crap though

Just spent a grand on the growler but I guess it did stop them or was it my £5 leather belt across the door that did the trick
Hi.
What a Waist....Ooooopppps ..I mean WASTE......... Silly me.
Tea Bag ;) ;) (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was traveling from Spain to uk so its not un reasonable to stay on motorway net work for one night and it was piege
It is .They are in fact the worst places to stop being the most frequent for break ins. You would think being toll roads,& usually with gendarmes at every toll booth like book ends , they wouldn't think about it.The reverse is true unfortunately.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Milo barks if a fly farts so if i was in the van a break in should be impossible.

My measures are mostly for when the vans left unattended somewhere
Same here,,dead locks on cab doors, fiamma lock on sliding door,,anti smash film on cab Windows but habitation Windows still vulnerable. Alarm of course..You can only do so much..BUSBY.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If a thief decides to have a go, they won't worry about collateral. They'll smash whatever gets in the way.
You need to make it look like it's not worth the bother.
Adding overt deterrents might suggest that there's something of value within, although it might work if there are other targets around that look easier prey.

OP
OP
Monty don

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I get all that

But the thieves know that on these vans the cab and hab door locks are complete shite

Its such a week part and they all know it

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That's why I suggest making it look as unattractive as possible.
Leave only tatty things in view and don't clean the outside.
If they want to get in, they will.
At least, if the locks are easy to defeat, they won't create too much damage.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I have the Millenco arm locking gadget on my hands door. May look crap to you but I don’t notice it’s there.
It’s the version that can be locked and unlocked from inside as well as out. Out being with a key.
The cab doors have the Heosafe locks fitted although, like you say, they’re not really visible from the outside so could still get my door lock picked.
Basically, if they’re going to want to get in, they’ll get in.
They’ll just smash the window, prize open a side window on climb on the roof and kick a roof vent in and get in that way.
No amount of locks or alarms will prevent them. They’re just a deterrent and you have to hope that they look at your deterrent and move into the next.
If anything’s left on view, you may as well forget your deterrent is there.
My brother in law got broken into on a French motorway aire. They got into his caravan whilst 4 of them were sleeping. They also did over two cars and a Motorhome on the same aire during the same night. Easy pickings.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I also have an A class double throw deadlocks fitted to hab and passenger door same to garage doors all on same key. Wasn’t prepared to pay the buttock clenching prices Hymer charge which includes the recessed plastic trims for the doors so came up with my own solution as in photos. Peter Harrison Motorhome Locks supplied and fitted the locks I did the tidy up and mods. We have 2 of the blue handled Allen keys hidden out of sight but very handy in case needed for a speedy exit.
1024C072-C968-466C-834D-96A43BD64064.jpeg
30694B33-06C6-44EB-BC29-22792098E71F.jpeg
ACE382BF-148E-49F9-B6E4-91FFADB10160.jpeg
A4FA2379-6C85-4C09-83A3-47D9AD2C7CB6.jpeg

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Our work got broken in to the other week and a crime prevention officer came round a few days after and suggested those smoke machines that fill the place in seconds for our office.

I wonder if a similar device could be made for vans.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Our work got broken in to the other week and a crime prevention officer came round a few days after and suggested those smoke machines that fill the place in seconds for our office.

You already get alarms that do that
I had one in my yellow t4 ...filled the van with lemon scented smoke

Wouldn't stop someone breaking in though it just stops them driving off

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Broken Link Removed

Heres one example

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
As our leader has said on many occasions visual warnings are also a deterrent. Obviously fitting high vis mechanical deterrents when just parked up at services or wherever is a no no, I have fitted very bright flashing leds to front and rear
A5C3EC04-BB0C-4C46-9E59-130109635D86.jpeg
E0DCAE35-71BD-4E46-B815-F150567DE6B1.jpeg
of our moho remotely operated they are very bright and readily seen, they are not piggy backed onto my alarm system as no provision. They do make us feel safer at night in Aires etc when abroad. Latterly I fitted a small electronic timer to stagger the flashing as in many alarms so it looks the business.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I get all that

But the thieves know that on these vans the cab and hab door locks are complete shite

Its such a week part and they all know it

There's a good argument for just leaving the doors unlocked. As you found out there is only a phone in the van that is of any value.
I really should leave my MoHo garage doors unlocked. All there is in there is some cheap old fold up chairs, a box full of old tools and polish - and the windscreen cover --- absolutely nothing worth nicking. The locks would cost hundreds to replace.

OP
OP
Monty don

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I think after looking at this and taking all the suggestions is Im going to make some plates up to blank the key lock up
It can fit in the recess of the plastic handle and will stop anyone screw drivering the lock barrel

You don't need the locks anyway on a day to day basis as the central locking on the remote is what you use

If at some point you did need to use the manual lock with key it would with tools be possible with a bit of hassle to get the plate off

Cant see any other way

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You don't need the locks anyway on a day to day basis as the central locking on the remote is what you use
Just make sure you do not get anything trapped when shutting the door ,like the seat belt. On my Transit pvc if you do it will lock & double lock but not unlock.:oops: Not a problem when you can unlock manually or have another door to get in.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Got two of these, long enough to cover part of lock https://www.thule.com/en-gb/motorhome-accessories/comfort-and-security/thule-universal-lock-_-301406

Our bed covers passenger door when down so lock that at night from outside, the hab door is locked from outside if leave for a walk etc. At night have a wooden pole that slips behind door grab and wedges against fly screen surround.

If you have space - we didn’t - you can get a version that locks/unlocks from inside

May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
Can you fit a van dead lock system to a hartl had door on an a class

Not sure you can

Its all plastic inside
Paul Harrison, from Carthago Owners Group, supplies additional locks which can be fitted to Hartal Doors. Search for Motorhome locks on the Web and you will see photos to assist you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back