Free Member
Sep 30, 2020
Pear County
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 670
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, can anybody recommend a small, cheapish fan type heater for winter use in our awning please? We already have a small oil filled radiator for use in the motorhome itself, but we need something with a more immediate impact for the awning. We would be connected to the mains, getting as much value from our CC fees as possible! Thanks for any replies.

Jan 25, 2018
Leicester, England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, can anybody recommend a small, cheapish fan type heater for winter use in our awning please? We already have a small oil filled radiator for use in the motorhome itself, but we need something with a more immediate impact for the awning. We would be connected to the mains, getting as much value from our CC fees as possible! Thanks for any replies.

Is that why the feed keep increasing? šŸ˜ƒ

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Assuming the O/P Post is not a wind up. Then PLEASE. Don`t. IMV it is the primary reason why, many are now moving to Metered Electric. Back when we used to winter in Spain, there where so many left on Night and Day, and not just the "Brits" either, the Germans where as bad. Eventually the sites increased their fee`s and when that didn't stop it went to Metering where you get a fixed allowance, and pay for anything over it, and long termers got a Monthly Bill. Quite frankly, I think it is taking the proverbial

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Howie 670

Free Member
Sep 30, 2020
Pear County
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 670
Exp
Since 2013
An enclosed awning, maybe i should have mentioned. But now, thinking about it, with the nights drawing in i would also be needing a lighting system!

Maybe just staying down at the pub until curfew would be an easier, if not cheaper, option.

(Does this reply go to everyone or does it just relate to the last comment submitted by your good selves? If the latter then apologies, it is mean for consideration by all).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
An enclosed awning, maybe i should have mentioned. But now, thinking about it, with the nights drawing in i would also be needing a lighting system!

Maybe just staying down at the pub until curfew would be an easier, if not cheaper, option.

(Does this reply go to everyone or does it just relate to the last comment submitted by your good selves? If the latter then apologies, it is mean for consideration by all).
Your posts/reply's are for anybody to see, including CC wardens ;)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

Please do not waste electricity heating an awning up. Put a jumper on and buy yourself a fleecy blanket like most people do. As The planet is already suffering from Global warming any attempt by you to further heat it by wasting Electricity Is just daft.
As PeteH says we do not want the sites starting to up their fees even more, we are currently paying fees on some sites for Facilities we cannot use because of COVID, donā€™t give them any excuse
I see you are new on Fun so please donā€™t take offence we are all on hear to have a laugh and once you pay your subscription you will join the best group and learn so much[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
You shouldn't really be heating your awning its total waste of electricity which is expensive enough , C&MC pitch fee's in the winter month's are a good bit cheaper than high season price's and most of us members want them to stay that way .
If everybody heats there awnings the price's will go up

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am not in the business of insulting anyone. But that type of self centred attitude could result in increased cost all round. Look at it from a site owner viewpoint they are offering a service, and under terms which you either accept or walk away from. Leaving a heater on in any un insulated space is pure waste. I have heating in my garage this time of year but only when actually working on my project and I have taken steps to insulate the door close off draughts and even replace the window and personnel door with double glazed ones. I'm even looking seriously at doing the roof. But there's that much crap up there, I cannot get at it!.

P.s. Anyone got a redundant old multi fuel stove for sale?. One way of getting something back from all the old crap, by burning it. (Now I'm in trouble with the emmisions police) :unsure:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
One of these might manage to keep your awning warm in the middle of winter.

As a bonus you could set up an alternative to a hair waxing parlour and make a few bob.
Shorts on... in one end of awning...walk past... out other end....Job done... Silky smooth legs with the bonus of a red almost tan effect.šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the comments, lesson learnt.

Heating awnings is not really the done thing, but you will see it. If a bunch of you are eating in an awning and its chilly, a blow/fan heater is your best bet, and probably the safest way to stay warm.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Possible alternative:

Screenshot_20201003-141648_Samsung Internet_copy_600x1233.jpg

No chance of tripping the EHU bollard.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Was there any need for that? We tend to give people the benefit of the doubt here rather than insult them when making their first couple of posts.
Sorry probably not. However going by number of likes some would appear to agree with me.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We have a small white round topped one with a safety tip switch on the bottom. Was about Ā£12 from Amazon but just searched and couldnā€™t find it.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

Any cheap Fan Heater will do the job. You wonā€™t want it on all the time as the electric wonā€™t cope with heating the awning and van.

Some sites ban them though so do check.

Some people will say donā€™t waste the heat, to an extent I would agree, however if I wanted to be cold, I wouldnā€™t be on a site with electric. Used sparingly I never see an issue.

For a cost comparison, for every hour a 2KW heater is on, it will cost 24p ish for the electric. You would have to be really going some to make pounds worth!

I once got caught out in Wales with too many kids for the Caravan so used an awning annexe. It was bloody freezing! -2on the coldest night. I left the heater on all night and used gas for the van. I worked out the extra cost and gave the owner of the CL, I was pitches on more than enough to cover it.

Just make sure it canā€™t be knocked over and that the awning has no gaps, even then it will only take the chill off the air.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't use a portable gas heater, you might wake up dead... From Carbon Monoxide ā˜ 

Gas heating is perfectly safe. We'd have died a death of cold many times over if it wasn't for the old Super Ser. It was the only heat I had in some offices in Epsom for years.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Possible alternative:

View attachment 430364

No chance of tripping the EHU bollard.
Don't use a portable gas heater, you might wake up dead... From Carbon Monoxide ā˜ 
We have one of those which we have successfully used in awnings ............................ in the correct manner, and providing adequate ventilation.

Used correctly and with safety in mind, and not left unattended, it's not a problem.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back