Scottish Midges...will they eat us alive?! (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
They can be on the east coast as well..
As for the west, a few years ago a campsite near Newton Stewart had to close because of a midge epidemic.
Nah the East coast is fine especially NE. Never get any problems with them up in Aberdeenshire and never had bother from them in Edinburgh.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nah the East coast is fine especially NE. Never get any problems with them up in Aberdeenshire and never had bother from them in Edinburgh.
I've heard otherwise but I'll take your word. You're up there, I'm on the Yorkshire Coast where we only have flying sh!t factories. (gulls)
Less painful but just as annoying.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've heard otherwise but I'll take your word. You're up there, I'm on the Yorkshire Coast where we only have flying sh!t factories. (gulls)
Less painful but just as annoying.
Doesn't matter where you are, when it comes to gulls we are together as one. Work of the devil so they are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
we spent one night in the galloway forest they were coming in through the air vents we had to cling film the vents i put the headlights on at 11pm and they were like a blizzard
Remember to put Aircon control to recirculate when you park

Deleted User
Is that because when they hear the Aberdeen accent they think they are in a foreign country and then go back home. :giggle:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Just reading this post makes me cringe. Don’t wear a kilt, they will fly up and bite you on your meat and two veg.
I would like to travel Scotland very much, can any one tell me when the midge season isn’t?
Phil

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
If there is a wee breeze which there usually is on the west coast it will keep them down , their engines can't fly in a breeze,skin so soft ,midge repellant wrist bands work as well I've been up in the hills fly fishing for wild trout and had no issues with them wouldn't let them spoil my holiday , and of course they help thicken up the porridge in the morning 😊

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
My experience is worse when it is still and overcast (and they love dark, humid places), west worse than east, coastal breezes (gales) can help.
Midge net or even midge top for when its horrific ... otherwise smidge.

Deleted User
Just reading this post makes me cringe. Don’t wear a kilt, they will fly up and bite you on your meat and two veg.
I would like to travel Scotland very much, can any one tell me when the midge season isn’t?
Phil
Depending upon conditions generally speaking the season starts mid to late May and goes on to approx September.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depending upon conditions generally speaking the season starts mid to late May and goes on to approx September.
... after which the wee haggis venture out and start nipping at your ankles ... :giggle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Scottish Midges...will they eat us alive?!

Nah!

They'll distract you into running off a cliff edge to escape them.

No-Dun-Roamin’

Free Member
Apr 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Aspire 205
Exp
Since 2014
Try this link . . .

The west coast midge can bite their way through a Harris Tweed jacket !!

Deleted User
... after which the wee haggis venture out and start nipping at your ankles ... :giggle:
Yes, they can be a nuisance as you can't see them when you are walking through the heather.

CAH

Free Member
May 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Learning
Exp
Potential owner - just looking
Avon Body Lotion 😊

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We toured Scotland just after we married 49 years ago and stopped at Broken Link Removed camped in the dunes went swimming in the sea came out laid on a towel 5 minutes later a cloud descended on me bit me from head to to just glad I had the budgie smugglers on spent rest of week buying calamine lotion by the gallon and covering myself from head to toe not funny

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
These full jackets kept them out! they even have an opening to allow wine drinking, which we found drinking through a straw was the best method. our neighbours thought that the Taliband had arrived!

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 47
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
They can be on the east coast as well..
As for the west, a few years ago a campsite near Newton Stewart had to close because of a midge epidemic.
There were actually two closed, Talnotry and Caldons campsites, only a few miles apart as the crow flies.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
With a bit of common sense they're not a problem. They pupate in acidic areas like peaty soil or bogs, and are attracted by your CO2. Wind will keep them away - either from nature, or that you create yourself (e.g. by cycling). So on a still warm day don't park close to peaty wet areas, or of you do - keep moving! They also tend to fly in swarms - so you can see them coming and do something about it.

As a precaution I have a midge hat - but have only ever needed it once. I did get a bit neurotic and fit specially fine netting (>3,000 holes per sq inch) from here in place of my normal fly screens on the MH windows - in retrospect it was probably only useful on the big top vent, where I fitted it with velcro so it could be easily fitted/removed. That way we can still get fresh air but sans midges, if there are any.

I've never found any creams work 100%. Skin so soft seems to work best for me but others seem to prefer more purpose-made chemical sprays like Smidge. I generally don't bother but if I know we're likely to encounter any I'll wear something long-sleeved.

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
I hear that is an urban myth smidge for me each and every time 👍
Not a myth....as an ex Royal Marine we used this stuff all the time ....and I still use it now and works great. I really suffer with bites and this stuff keep me bite free.

CAH

Free Member
May 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Learning
Exp
Potential owner - just looking
Knew there would be one somewhere 😁

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Try this, its all explained here.

A little bit of midge advice for the experienced or non experienced camper.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Lived in Scotland for almost 50 years, fishing most weekends and the only time I've ever been really bothered by them is when fishing overnight, just before dark and at first light. Never during the day. Don't let worrying about them put you off going :happy:

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
They definitely like and affect some people more than others, my sister in law for one. But we live in Fife, so on the east side, and she has no problems and I can't recall last time I encountered any. In certain conditions and certain places at dusk there may be a few but not during the day.

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Lived and worked in West of Scotland for 30+ years, on a campsite. Absolute menace, couldn't go into our garden, let alone sit out in it. Midge nets (head nets) work, but only on head and you're eaten alive at the edges, arms, ankles, legs - any exposed skin! Tried Smidge, Jungle Juice, citronella candles and all brands of repellant - none worked. Avon Skin so soft (original bluey green bottle) had limited effect. Anywhere near trees, lochs, damp conditions worst. Bright, dry, (West Scotland??) windy open spaces best bet. East coast much better, but imho West is best for stunning scenery (sorry to East coasters!) Best time to minimise their presence is before mid May or after September? Good luck, take antihistamines and full chemical suits😟. If you get the weather, sunny and windy, there's no better place on earth, only spoiled by midges and masses of tourists😁.

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
Lived and worked in West of Scotland for 30+ years, on a campsite. Absolute menace, couldn't go into our garden, let alone sit out in it. Midge nets (head nets) work, but only on head and you're eaten alive at the edges, arms, ankles, legs - any exposed skin! Tried Smidge, Jungle Juice, citronella candles and all brands of repellant - none worked. Avon Skin so soft (original bluey green bottle) had limited effect. Anywhere near trees, lochs, damp conditions worst. Bright, dry, (West Scotland??) windy open spaces best bet. East coast much better, but imho West is best for stunning scenery (sorry to East coasters!) Best time to minimise their presence is before mid May or after September? Good luck, take antihistamines and full chemical suits😟. If you get the weather, sunny and windy, there's no better place on earth, only spoiled by midges and masses of tourists😁.
West does have better scenery but arguably that is offset by drier weather on the east. Life is full of compromises :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
there's no better place on earth, only spoiled by midges and masses of tourists😁.

Andy, Why don't you relive history :rofl: Millport rally is this weekend coming, come along.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back