Haggis rescue centre/sanctuary (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no going round petting other folks domesticated haggis either. The locals refer to them as sporrans,a bit like a man purse but with sharp teeth and claws

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Whereabouts in D&G ? Got friends in Balmaclellan, I love the area been going 50+ years !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Whereabouts in D&G ? Got friends in Balmaclellan, I love the area been going 50+ years !!

My pal was born in Balmaclellan, surname's Hunter. An distant aunt of his was killed years ago and the perpetrator was the last woman to be hanged in Scotland. It was a tragic case all round, the Judge was brought down from Edinburgh and brought the gallows with him "just in case " !
I drove through there last Tuesday on my way up towards Girvan where I got the pics of Dalquharrie Castle that I put on the daily pic thread.(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I believe fried mars bars and iron bru will suffice?
Fried BATTERED Mars bars? It`s the extra starch needed!. The finest one`s reputed to originally come from that Gastronomic Centre of Excellence, Stonehaven?. And double check that the Iron Bru is the genuine and "made fri girdus". (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Fried BATTERED Mars bars? It`s the extra starch needed!. The finest one`s reputed to originally come from that Gastronomic Centre of Excellence, Stonehaven?.
Allegedly The Haven Chip Shop (now The Carron) in Stonehaven however there's a debate that it originated in Airdrie \ Coatbridge area! Given the latter's health consciousness I know who my money would be on!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
How did Cumbria get into this conversation, we built a great big wall to keep the little buggers out. As for telling the time with sundials the tourists have stolen all of them.
I suspect the haggis that stray south are recycled into Cumberland sausage down there :giggle:
No idea what happens if they stray into Northumbria

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I think you should start a crowd funding page to help with such a worthy cause I am sure there are many that would help rescue these fascinating and elusive animals
I hope you will have a campsite so that we can come an volunteer to help..

Well after seeing some crowd funding causes! Am hoping it would be self funding as we would charge visitors to come and visit - and perhaps sell cream teas. Volunteers would be very welcome, especially if they have experience of haggis wrangling. thank you

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I have 2 of the evil little buggers locked up in freezer
they will Ritually prepared
then stuffed into a chicken and intoxicated with a rather fine brandy then put to rest on tatties and neeps

I am sorry but my haggis are not for eating and am shocked you would post that on this site. Off to report you to Jim and the RSPCH.:mad:

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Ab

About 10 miles away from Stranraer, fell in love with the area after attending a rally at Portpatrick. However recent events are obviously trying to keep me out of the country!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I am sorry but my haggis are not for eating and am shocked you would post that on this site. Off to report you to Jim and the RSPCH.:mad:
But I bet you are happy to eat some poor defenceless vegetable ?
Haggis are like Gray Squirrels if they are not controlled they will overrun us all
You cant think we would choose to eat them if we didn't have to :giggle:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
........ However recent events are obviously trying to keep me out of the country!
You and me both, except I was up here just before lockdown and fortunately, the rules prevent my early return to Durham :Grin:
At some point I will have to go back as my van and kayaks are still there, and there’s still the small matter of showing prospective buyers around my house.

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
You and me both, except I was up here just before lockdown and fortunately, the rules prevent my early return to Durham :Grin:
At some point I will have to go back as my van and kayaks are still there, and there’s still the small matter of showing prospective buyers around my house.
I think the papers said lockdown had halted over 450,000 house moves so we are plenty of company!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That I didn’t know. They will be free range to a certain extent or how about if I ask Billy Connolly to front it??
You could be in trouble. Sir Billy gave up his vegetarian diet a couple or so years back.:eek:
However your drinks cabinet is definitely safe as Scottish distillers have recently admitted that COVID-19 pandemic impact on their business is now approaching the crisis they faced when he gave up the booze in the mid-eighties!:whistle2:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Am also looking for conformation that Haggis will happily live in the southern parts of Scotland as another poster has implied that they will only be found in the highlands?
This certainly was true in the past, but recently they have evolved to feed on stray sassenachs, naturally occurring towards the south. In fact history tells us it was the main reason the Emperor Hadrian built the wall, to keep out packs of marauding haggis.

OP
OP
Rosemary1

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Well sorry to resurrect (not sorry at all) but moved in and set everything up for the wee Haggis and have not seen sight or sound! No one mentioned that they obviously hibernate like hedgehogs :oops: !

Does anyone know when they are likely to show their little cute faces? Shall I look to perhaps help Kelpies instead (we have a burn?)

Thank you

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I think you to far south. Real Scotland is there habitat. West Coast, Gairloch Applecross and that area is where many can be found. Focus Coaching Holidays have excursions up there in the summer if you are interested.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well sorry to resurrect (not sorry at all) but moved in and set everything up for the wee Haggis and have not seen sight or sound! No one mentioned that they obviously hibernate like hedgehogs :oops: !

Does anyone know when they are likely to show their little cute faces? Shall I look to perhaps help Kelpies instead (we have a burn?)

Thank you
Correct, they hibernate up until Burns Night. Most of them wish they'd have slept a wee bitty longer right enough whit wi a bunch o' hairy ersed guys in kilts ticklin' them wi awfy sharp knives that they store in thur soaks!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

Haggis have their own mysterious method of communication. Since they discovered what happened to the mink in Denmark, sadly it is now practically impossible to get within two metres of a wild haggis, even wearing a mask.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back