I don't do North.... except when coming back from South! (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Our bi annual trips, April to end of June and end of August to beginning of November, are always over to Europe and south. This years plans are all screwed with the likelihood of getting into Europe slim, and being allowed to travel the UK the most possible.
So I would like to prepare some itinerary options for when we can travel. As we have never really toured the country, I did it too much when I was working, we don't have a bucket list of places we must see. So with cities probably off the agenda for a while too, where can I find some interesting routes.

Michael

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Just plan a route anywhere without using motorways. You will find some interesting places that way ...... Same as France really

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
My advice would be to stay well away from the north, its a terrible place, snow all the year round, roads clogged with sheep, potholes and drunks. Nothing much to see, just endless miles of boring open countryside interspersed with smog and pit villages.

As for Scotland .......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Just plan a route anywhere without using motorways. You will find some interesting places that way ...... Same as France really
Except there are few if any places easily found without booking to overnight in.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think as it's going to be busy everywhere with frustrated motorhomers, not just in the UK, ? the Spanish are also chomping at the bit. ?

A good option would be Ireland, we had the whole month of June there a few years ago, loved every minute and will do it again at some point. ?
Because of the ferry cost it will reduce the amount of motorhomes going over, so hopefully a pleasant and safer trip. ? Bob.

Ps I should add we only did the wild Atlantic way, and could have spent a lot longer there, there's plenty to see and the Irish are very friendly. ?

Last edited:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My advice would be to stay well away from the north, its a terrible place, snow all the year round, roads clogged with sheep, potholes and drunks. Nothing much to see, just endless miles of boring open countryside interspersed with smog and pit villages.

As for Scotland .......

I agree with all of the above and while your at it, stay away from Wales - it's far too beautiful for the likes you horrible motorhome people ?

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As for Scotland .......

I know, we all talk funny and fry everything before we think it is edible :)

For ferries to Ireland check out different times (sometimes much cheaper going during the night) and also SeaTruck if you don't have pets.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Everywhere is North for you Michael so you have a lot to choose from, when we are allowed we will be heading a bit South so will let you know ;)

M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There some who think going upstairs is 'north'.. :LOL:

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
Heard about this recently.....https://www.snowdonia360.com/

You could plan something around this too...https://www.justgo.uk.com/itineraries.html

Kai.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Stay in Cornwall it’s beautiful ?, thats where we will be heading but avoiding half term.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
where can I find some interesting routes.

Michael

Finding somewhere to park will be the clever bit. It was bad enough when all the sensible people crossed the channel.

The NC500 will look like the M25 on Friday afternoon. I wonder when wee Krankie will put up toll booths.

Deleted User
Up through Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Shropshire and Cheshire? You can avoid motorways all the way! Lots of interesting things to do amidst stunning scenery :)

We always use that route when we venture back to the North from Portsmouth, few short bits of motorway, M4 to Swindon and then M5 to Worcester, sometimes via Gloucester, Hereford, Ludlow, love that part of the UK :Smile:

It always amuses me when people go on about not using toll roads in Europe with the excuse that they want to see the 'real' country and then blast up and down the motorways in the UK and miss all the 'real' bits of the UK.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Have a look at a website called The Round Britain Rally, its for motorcycles but the idea is to visit each historical county in England, Scotland and Wales and find a local landmark, we did it for 10 years and got to see virtually every corner of the British Isles. The results and photos are shown as are previous landmarks and as far as possible avoids motorways ( Plan the route for a m/home and explore the UK)
PS once past Birmingham you will need a translator :LOL:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had an interesting trip about 8-10 years ago. Using an old road atlas we found when moving into St Stephen, we followed the A39 to Derby. No duel carriageways or M/Ways where possible, took 5 days, just set an easy pace, stopped off for lunches, walked on beaches, had leisurely Breakfasts, walked walled gardens, roamed Coastal path.

Magic!(y)

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
No, it's really crap up here in the North
From today's ride, just shows how bad it has got.
IMG_20200504_150439.jpg

Phil

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I think as it's going to be busy everywhere with frustrated motorhomers, not just in the UK, ? the Spanish are also chomping at the bit. ?

A good option would be Ireland, we had the whole month of June there a few years ago, loved every minute and will do it again at some point. ?
Because of the ferry cost it will reduce the amount of motorhomes going over, so hopefully a pleasant and safer trip. ? Bob.

Ps I should add we only did the wild Atlantic way, and could have spent a lot longer there, there's plenty to see and the Irish are very friendly. ?
Ireland is repelling visitors until August.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just plan a route, check out all the interesting places on the tinternet and stay at home.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I agree with all of the above and while your at it, stay away from Wales - it's far too beautiful for the likes you horrible motorhome people ?
Well we could do an exchange we go to Cornwall they could come to Wales. :dance2:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Well we could do an exchange we go to Cornwall they could come to Wales. :dance2:

Not too sure about that one - no proper mountains in Cornwall

That said, is it full of single ladies into balding middle aged men? ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back