3 questions (3 Viewers)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Hi there all. I've used Motorhome fun for a couple of years now. Always found some useful tips so finally decided to pay up and become a 5-year member. (insert smiley face here). I have a 10 y.o. Eldiss 115 (love it) so here are some questions:
  1. Can the plastic grills in the bodywork (not the covers) at the rear of the fridge be removed for cleaning & removing mould around the edges?
  2. I bought the van 4 years ago. I think it still has the original tyres (i.e. 10 years old) as only done 28,000 miles since new. Are they still OK?
  3. Can a bigger water tank be fitted?
  4. Look forward to your replies. Thanks in advance.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
In order to bump your thread I'll give you my thoughts on your questions ...but I don't know your particular van...
The plastic grills or vents in the body work are usually removable..check for a sliding lever along the top edge of the vents..

Mixed views on the tyre issue..
Personally I'd be happy to keep them is my own inspection proved ok..

You will only know the answer to that by looking at the space available around the existing tank.. is it internal or external ?
And then the job of sourcing one if you feel its worth the effort..

Andy
Edit..I needent have bothered trying to bump it????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Hi.

1. Can the plastic grills in the bodywork (not the covers) at the rear of the fridge be removed for cleaning & removing mould around the edges? -------- Take a picture - usually the covers are removable.
  2. I bought the van 4 years ago. I think it still has the original tyres (i.e. 10 years old) as only done 28,000 miles since new. Are they still OK? ---------------- Time to get rid. 7 years maximum is the recommendation as far as i know. Regarcdless of mileage the rubber perishes. The DATE of manufacturer will be on the side wall. - e.g. 4011 - this would week 40 of year 2011.
  3. Can a bigger water tank be fitted? --------- Possibly, CAK tanks make lots of different tanks.

Last edited:

Deleted User
1) The vents are generally easy to remove, plenty of vids on YouTube, eg

2) Tyres, at 10 years old I’d swap them as you don’t know their history. There are lots of scare stories with regards to sudden failure on old tyres, not worth risking it imo.

3) Additional tanks are available, but don’t forget your payload ;)

Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
1. I remove mine and wash every couple of months and I'm sure access is needed in most for repairs etc, If there is a retaining clip/catch slide it and they should come out but prise them gently.
2. Change the tyres.
3. I have heard of this being done.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Forgot to add this for you.

Screenshot_20200416-185811.png

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Check the dates on the tyres it should have something like 48/10 or 33/11 on the side the first number is the week they were made, the second the year. A tyres structure and integrity deteriorates with exposure to UVA, road pollutants, useage and air! If you do choose new tyres get them filled with nitrogen (ATS charged me £10 for four and it includes life time top ups, never needed as it never lost pressure.) Most emergency service vehicles run with a nitrogen filling as it runs the tyre cooler and reduces wear. ( As do F1 teams) It is recommended that you change them at the most after 7 years, only recommended not compulsory. The horror stories were blow outs on coaches and waggons that were using 20 year old tyres. As regards water tank, a litre of water carried adds 1kg of weight to your payload so would it be worth the time and effort/ If you want an emergency supply why not carry a 20 litre plastic jerry can? Cheaper and yes the vents can be removed and cleaned they not only cool but are required to access some components at the rear of the fridge

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Sorry Jev88 repeated your post while I was typing and posting re tyre age!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If you do nothing else....................

Please change your tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be changed every 5 to 7 years.

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I'd deffo change the tyres.
Mine were six years old and looked virtually unused when I bought the moho with a brand new mot.
Six months later I got a flat tyre on la peripherique
Not a puncture, the tyre had perished and fallen apart.
Luckily, the road was snafu'd so I was only travelling slowly.
Thankfully it didn't happen two days earlier when I was hammering over the millau bridge.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I too would change your tyres. Too many folk get blow outs on old rubber.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi there all. I've used Motorhome fun for a couple of years now. Always found some useful tips so finally decided to pay up and become a 5-year member. (insert smiley face here). I have a 10 y.o. Eldiss 115 (love it) so here are some questions:
  1. Can the plastic grills in the bodywork (not the covers) at the rear of the fridge be removed for cleaning & removing mould around the edges?
  2. I bought the van 4 years ago. I think it still has the original tyres (i.e. 10 years old) as only done 28,000 miles since new. Are they still OK?
  3. Can a bigger water tank be fitted?
  4. Look forward to your replies. Thanks in advance.
1. There are several types of grills used and they differ in how to remove them. Provide a photo and somebody will be able to recognise them and tell you how to remove them

2. I agree with everybody else when they say you must change them if they are the original ones. When an old tyre fails it is a total failure, with no warning. Apart from the danger, the damage that does as it flails about can be very expensive to repair. Just ask Neil and Merilyn TheTwoOfUs about what happened when a rear tyre blew. We had a tyre failure on the front a couple of years ago and it damaged the braking system, which cost us best part of £500 to fix. So it is a false economy to keep them.

3. Don't know. But why do you want it? If you fill it that will eat into your payload.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We had a rear blow out on the A1 when an oldish tyre just let go. I thought the tyre place rotated the tyres and replaced them as necessary but they didn't. My fault, should have checked. Anyway the damage was extensive, it took out all of the wheel arch liner together with some of the wiring and plumbing plus insulation. It was bad enough but it could have been worse, especially if it had been a front tyre. The cost was well over £1000. Get them changed.

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
steve69....go easy removing the fridge vents.....I had a go at taking one off my moho this week (just to to take a nosey behind) and despite doing it correctly without being heavy handed, managed to snap it in the corner....thats £90 for a replacement then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt if you will be able to fit a bigger water tank but should be able to fit a second tank. I think your van has an underslung tank so it should be straight forward to fit a second tank, you would just need to link them towards the bottom of the tanks and fit a drain valve and pipe on the new one.
CAK Tanks stock dozens of different tanks and will custom make them for you.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If your fridge vents look like these
IMG_20200428_231459_941.JPG

An easy job turn the plastic screw ,left hand side . Anti clockwise 45° and ease the vent out.

Tyres your choice a good inspection all around.
I had older than that tyres on a classic van . Coming out of Cherbourg on a peage toll ,I had a blow out ,a brown streak moment. Couldn't get my Jack under ,and had to call out assistance and learned that breakdown cover wont cover you on a toll road in France .
€180 later for the guy to come out and supply his jack (he wouldn't go under van) for me to change tyre . Then later at Limoges another €150 for a pair of new tyres . My choice.

As to water tank doable if you have the space ,but what about the weight factor ?

Aug 27, 2019
Willenhall West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Elldis Autostratus
Exp
11 Years
Hi Steve69 I have a Elddis Autostratus which had an extra water tank under the seat behind the drivers seat if its any use to you we could do a deal ill check the size and get back to you cheers jodiver10

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
My fridge vents are screwed into position, the only way to get them off, which I had to do when I installed fridge fans, is by unscrewing them from the bodywork, not a good design!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Another vote for adding an extra tank and not replacing the original !!! you could even fit one specific for drinking water and add a filter to it.

i think if you explained why you needed or felt you needed extra water storage then you may get some good suggestions.

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Thanks for the tips everybody (y) . The under-slung water tank on these models is only 45 litres & we drink a lot of tea. Struggle to get one decent shower out of it. Sorted the vents out but as they hadn't been removed for 10 years they were stiff & sadly broke one of the clips - managed a repair (of sorts) should be OK.
The tyres will all be changed as soon as the campsites are allowed to open again.

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Hi Steve69 I have a Elddis Autostratus which had an extra water tank under the seat behind the drivers seat if its any use to you we could do a deal ill check the size and get back to you cheers jodiver10
Thanks for the offer, but I think the designs are different - doesn't really look practical on the 115

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The under-slung water tank on these models is only 45 litres
That's not much more than a day's supply, how can a manufacturer fit a tank that small crazy. Our last van only had 100 Lt I used to carry another 40 Lt in the garage, current van has a reasonable tank 160Lt.

When fitting another tank best to fit one at the same height so they fill and empty together.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if its for drinking water then you might get some inspiration from youtube videos of van conversions. some of them have separate containers under the sink with a dedicated tap, purely for drinking water. it stays fresh, is easily topped up etc

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
If your fridge vents look like these
View attachment 383267
An easy job turn the plastic screw ,left hand side . Anti clockwise 45° and ease the vent out.

Tyres your choice a good inspection all around.
I had older than that tyres on a classic van . Coming out of Cherbourg on a peage toll ,I had a blow out ,a brown streak moment. Couldn't get my Jack under ,and had to call out assistance and learned that breakdown cover wont cover you on a toll road in France .
€180 later for the guy to come out and supply his jack (he wouldn't go under van) for me to change tyre . Then later at Limoges another €150 for a pair of new tyres . My choice.

As to water tank doable if you have the space ,but what about the weight factor ?

Turns out that mine has sliding clips which were just a bit stiff through lack of use. Finally got the grills off.

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
if its for drinking water then you might get some inspiration from youtube videos of van conversions. some of them have separate containers under the sink with a dedicated tap, purely for drinking water. it stays fresh, is easily topped up etc

I quite like that idea, and it seems an easier option. - thanks.

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
Fridge vents - If yours are like the ones in the video posted above with the tabs, make sure they are replaced securely. You will hear and feel a click when you slide the tabs back in to place. I lost one through not securing one side properly. They are expensive to replace!

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
steve69....go easy removing the fridge vents.....I had a go at taking one off my moho this week (just to to take a nosey behind) and despite doing it correctly without being heavy handed, managed to snap it in the corner....thats £90 for a replacement then.

Try “Bondic” glue, uv activated, comes with its own small uv lamp, but do the repair inside the house as the sunlight also activates bondic

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Definitely change tyres. A few years ago, I bought a Citröen DS...one of the originals, not the current ones. The mileage was low and the tyres, although original, some 12 years old, had plenty of tread. On one trip I ended up with a flat tyre, went to have the puncture repaired, garage showed me that there was no puncture but that the tyre just wasn’t airtight anymore.
Bought 4 more to be safe. All the originals looked fine but not worth the risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back