Athens via the Balkans & Back in 99Days (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
One pic from Thursday’s drive near Walshoutem about 25 miles from Liege:
09 27-2-20 Walshoutem enroute to Liege.JPG

It kept snowing/sleeting for the next four hours, but fortunately was gone almost before it had settled.

The info on Searchforsites (SFS) was good, 31 Bus stop right outside the parking place every 20mins or so not 12mins (not complaining). To Liege a total of 10Euro return for both of us and drops you smack in the center of town, took about 30/35mins. Tourist Info office well signposted and about 500m from bus stop. Did a couple of their suggested walks and had a very pleasant time. Here is a view of the parking place and of the nearest restaurant IL Castellino Pizzeria, not too far to walk (we didn’t use it).

22 MH Chaudfontain Overnight Parking.JPG

23 Chaudfontaine - IL Castellino Pizzeria.JPG

Weather on Friday in Liege was sunny most of the time and whilst Liege was nice and had plenty of interesting buildings and history, it is not a place we will be rushing back to. The highlight for me was the Montagne de Bueren’s 374 steps (see Pic of T & D) we were on the fifteen step and we didn’t go any higher. The steps were built in the 19th century in Memory of 600men of Franchimont who attempted to capture Charles the Bold & Louis X1 on 29 Oct 1468.

18 TnD on Monyagne de Buere 374 Steps.JPG

We did have lunch in a very good pizzeria, a little story behind it, when we don’t do a free (ha ha) walking tour, T likes to read out the info we get from the Tourist Info (TI) and I like to listen (well most of the time). When in the old district of the town we are standing outside an Irish Pub, which was located within a very nice building. Looking at the build ‘T’ stated this is number 10 Rue de Amay it was a luxurious noble abode, (me luxurious never) dating back to the 6th century and said to have belonged to the Lord of Amay” as we walked a little further down the road, I suggested that we might partake in lunch. Two pizzeria’s were right by where we were, the entrance to one looked grand and we both went for that one and as I looked at the arches to the entrance I noticed the number 10 and above that the street name “Rue de Amay” I did not take the micky, well. The food, pizza was great we shared it and had, beer ‘T’, water ‘D’ (very unusual for D) and coffee 25 euro with the tip. Oh yes and the building was Luxurious.

A couple of pics of Liege:
Saint Barthelemy Collegiate Church
14 Liege Saint Barthelemy Collegiate Church.JPG

Former Church of Notre-Dame-de-I'Immaculee Conception
15 Liege Former Church of  Notre-Dame-de-I'Immaculee Conception.JPG

Former Monastery now Museum of Walloon Life.
20 Liege Former Monastery now Museum of Walloon Life.JPG

Liege Theatre Royal
21 Liege Theatre Royal.JPG

Spot 'T'

So that was our day yesterday, now we are Koblenz, Germany. Had a nice drive from Liege sunny with a few clouds, arrived about 1pm, had lunch and it then peed down for three hours, finally had a walk into town about 5.30pm, looking forward to tomorrow.

Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
You can buy border insurance for Motinegro at approx 15 € on the border for 14 days and insurance for Albania is 45 € for two weeks also for 14 days I have done the trip several times now and it’s a lot cheaper than the ferry and Albania is safe and beautiful
The border insurance is the legal minimum for that country so drive carefully there is some beautiful wild camping in Albania

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Sat 29/2 Arrived in Koblenz in lovely sunshine about 1.30pm, had a bite to eat and just as we about to go out the heavens opened and stayed like it on and off for the next 3 to 4 hours. Did get out about 5.30pm and walked the lovely old town area, for an hour or two and managed to get to the Tourist office just before it closed.

We are parked close to where an SFS a site used to exist co-ords 50.36559, 7.574 Paster-Klein Strasse. There are plenty of opportunities to park up, without upsetting residents. We are parked in the street between two companies one an office block and not sure what the other is, it’s named EVM. Lidl supermarket 2 mins walk and also two restaurants, so a really good spot.

Sun 1/3 walked along the river to Deutsches Eck start of our route was two minutes from where we are parked visited a Mosel/Rhine river museum covering all the animals frequenting the river.

Deutches Eck is the point at which Father Rhine meets Mother Mosel impressive and an enormous memorial Kaiser Wilhelm (weighing over 60 tons) the first emperor of the new German Empire 1797-1888.
25 Deutsches Eck.JPG

We then took the cable car over the Rhine up to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress constructed in its present form bet 1817 & 1828, very impressive defences. 1st built in 1000 by Ehrenbert Conradine was besieged by the French for two years from 1797, eventually starving out the occupants.
26 Inside Ehrenbreitstein Fortress.JPG

Then we walked along the impressive river promenade and into the old town. Our German being virtually non-existent, but we are trying, thank god the Germans speak English. Coffee without cake (lent, is hard), they look fantastic.

Mon moved on to Warzburg arriving about 2.30pm at a car park with a service bay for chemical waste, waste water disposal and drinking water (1euro for 100Lts). Electric points along some twenty MH parking spots, 12 euro for 24 hours Parking, 2 Euro for approx 12 hours Electric supply. Much better than anything we have come across in our 4 years or so MHing.

Just a kilometre away from the town, Car Park is called Fridensbrucke Parking, Auth MH (Service Point Near Exit) 49.79701, 9.92296 easy to find (from SFS). It’s raining again but not that cold, so that’s okay, tonight it is going to pee down again but tomorrow looks okay from about 9/10am.

Our routine is to travel to a town, visited the next day and then move on the day after. Our plan for the next few days is Regensburg, visiting Schloß Artstetten Castle & Castle Liechtenstein on route to Vienna, then Sopron close to the Austrian border in Hungary. We hope to be able to visit an Oyster Satellite dealer/repairer near to Sopron to get that sorted, more dosh.

More on Wurzburg later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Wurzburg
1583268715042.png

Above is the Alte Mainmuhle restaurant on the Alte Mainbrucke (bridge), obviously during summer. But even in the cooler weather there were a fair few out on the bridge drinking wine as the sun came down for the day as we were returning to the ‘Bus’, we went inside. Restaurant looked great and the smell of the food exquisite.

Wurzburg, in our opinion is a truly beautiful place, it was bombed by the allies on 16 March 1945 and 90% of it was destroyed, so in 75years since then to have rebuilt it in the style of its historic buildings is amazing. Just a few pics follow, we had a great day, a guided tour of the palace at no extra cost to the entrance fee.
The Town Hall
46 Town Hall.JPG

Tourist Office-A Former Guest House
42 Former Guest House now Tourist Office.JPG

Residential Palace
48 Residence Palace.JPG

Unfortunately no photos allowed in the palace, the rooms that survived the bombings, but partly destroyed have been repaired exactly as they were in the 1700's when built, some of the ceiling fresco's did survive and both are amazing.

Then when you feel all is lost you discover:
50 Woolworth does still exist.JPG

Woolworth's still survives!!!!!!
Tomorrow we move on to Regensburg, more then.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hello Dennisad,
When are you thinking entering Romania, and what part of the border? I can help with free camping and can assist with the finest of the carpathians. We got a property over here and we will be staying till end of April ish.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t mis wertheim on river main, next to Wurzburg to the west.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Thanks for posting about your trip, it’s really great to read about your travels and the places you’re visiting!

We headed home from our France/Spain/Portugal trip at the end of last week, and on Thursday we were driving to Calais from Honfleur on the main toll route and had to follow along behind the snowplough on the higher stretches as there was quite a lot of snow - similar to your experience at the end of last week on the way to Liege!

Have a great time - safe travels! ?

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Hello Dennisad,
When are you thinking entering Romania, and what part of the border? I can help with free camping and can assist with the finest of the carpathians. We got a property over here and we will be staying till end of April ish.
Hi Raul
We have already visited Warzburg, so have missed what you suggested. But have already decided that Germany is a place to visit on more than one occasion, when I was planning the route we would have never have reached Athens if I had visited all the German places I wanted to.

We enter Romania according to the plan on 14th March from Szeged in Hungary to Timisoara we plan to visit, Sighisoara and the towns along the Transfagarasan Highway the following are not necessarily on that route, but you will know better than I. We have looked at Sibiu, Brasov, Rasnov, Brans Castle, Peles Castle, Sinaia, more that I can't recall and then Bucharest arriving we think on 19th March.

Have arrived in Regensburg today, after lunch a walk into town less than a kilometre and a free car park no services, but a clean useable WC. The town looks great and so much history anyway that's for tomorrow.

Thanks Raul and for all of your comments.

Cheers Dennis & Terry

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a good plan, and it will take you a little longer. I did Transfagarasan on a Honda Vfr with my wife. It may not be open until end of june. That will alter your course to the west via Transalpina. This is a new highway, much better than Transfagarasan. If you really insist, you can come up the south side, and see the famous dam where top gear filmed. Other than that I can suggest one more point. South of Transfagarasan is a town Arges. There is a bizantine marble monastery, is called Manastirea Curtea de Arges. That’s a must if you in the area.
We are north east, in Suceava county, ( Bucovina) at foothills of the carpathians. I will watch this space as you progress, if you need ANY assistance, just drop a pm. If you fancy driving north( winter tyres) there are alternatives to see. Most of the Moldova is full of monasteries from 1600 and rural country.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t forget about Rovineta, same as Austrian and Hungarian Vignette, this registers to your no plate same as Hungary, no sticker but keep the receipt. You get it on first petrol station after you enter, right on the border. A 30 day cost you 70 lei, local currency.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Don’t forget about Rovineta, same as Austrian and Hungarian Vignette, this registers to your no plate same as Hungary, no sticker but keep the receipt. You get it on first petrol station after you enter, right on the border. A 30 day cost you 70 lei, local currency.
Hi Raul
I am right that in respect of the Rovineta & Vignette that these are required for the use on toll roads or am I making yet another mistake in my understanding?

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Friday 6 March, (Yes I know today is the 9th) we have now arrived in Vienna, having spent yesterday in Regensburg another lovely city, we were parked on a (SFS) Free Authorised Motorhome Parking, No Services but there is a toilet on the car park that was clean and useable looks like it gets serviced every day, cords 49.02122, 12.10895, easy access to town less than a mile to the town walking along the riverbank of the Danube, there are three other rivers that join the Danube here, the Naab, Regen and one other that I have forgotten the name of. During the 12/13th Centuries it reached its golden age due to its long distant trade mainly in the then ‘gold’ commodity of ‘Salt’ and was considered the most populous city in southern Germany.

The city hall still has the torture chamber in its original condition from the layout to each device and contraption used back in the 14th century, a must see and we managed to get a tour in English, great. It also boasts of being the centre for meetings of Princes from various regions of Germany and as a result became the location of the first German perpetual Parliament from 1663, located in one place.

City Hall I tried to put a pic in but the internet connection is !!!! I will leave to your imagination

We had lunch at Kim Linh a Vietnamese restaurant I had Pho soup a rice noodles dish with a lot of meat, onion and star anise, which is based on broth of beef bones cooked for up to 8 hours or longer, served with crispy bean sprouts and fresh herbs 'fabulous', T had ginger pot beef, with veg and rice again brill and with half a carafe of wine 30 euro with a tip. A little later we visited a All in another good day and a few pics follow. I will talk about the drive from Regensburg in my next update.

Internet permitting I will get some pics in. One more try tonight:
65 Tourist Office & City Hall.JPG

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Raul
I am right that in respect of the Rovineta & Vignette that these are required for the use on toll roads or am I making yet another mistake in my understanding?

Vignette in Austria is for use of motorways, same as in Hungary.
In Romania, Rovineta, is for the use of motorway, national and European roads, and county roads. All outside any town or village of residence.
For example, if I stay in my village, I don’t need one, if I go to next village or town, I do need one. So as you enter get one, mr cop will wait and check as you enter and you’ll be easy pray.

PM sent.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Some really interesting posts, lovely to read. Thank you for sharing. By the way we lived Sibiu, the market was great, but it's a while since we were there.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The country is changing fast. To fast for some. I am a National and got caught without road tax. At the time for foreign plates was no internal procedure to purchase. Only on the point of entry. Now you can buy at any petrol-stations or pay-point shops.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi Dennis, looks like you may be heading this way ( Bulgaria ), thing are changing here also, we now have our vignettes available online - just Google BGTOLL and select English version for details and card payment, you should make sure you are covered before leaving the border entry area as there are BGTOLL vans everywhere with ANPR and and, without valid vignette, you will get stopped - fine is quite steep and not worth the hassle. If you need any help while in BG just shout on here, I am watching most times, have a great trip.

Mike

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Firstly to Raul and Mike thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated and to all who have posted on this thread.

So where are we?

Well today is Tues 10 March we have just arrived in Budapest, a free car park no services, 24hr parking fee of 1800 Forint (6Euro). We left Regensburg on Fri 6 March, we visited a monument called Walhalla, stands majestically above Donaustauf, a vast temple made of marble. Initiated by King Ludwig 1st, built between 1830 and 1842 opened on 18 October that year. It houses 128 marble busts with golden ornaments and 64 tablets depicting significant themes from Germanic mythology. All of the busts are of Germans who are highly regarded for their contributions towards not only German but the world. It’s fantastic see for yourselves.

77 Walhalla.JPG

81 Walhalla Interior.JPG

We then moved on towards Vienna hoping to visit a couple of castles on route, but time was defeating us so we decided to miss out on one and visit the other Castle Liechtenstein after Vienna. The drive was amazing, great for me as I was co for the first half of the journey. T drove along the edge of the Danube for at least 50/60 miles in all, crossing it that many times I lost count, the scenery was awesome.

We arrived in Vienna me driving, in the dark about 6.15pm, we normally aim to be at our destination before the light goes. Stayed at Reisemobil-Steelplatz Vienna, N48.136996, 16.315814, 22Euro All Services (not laundry), easy walk to Metro 5 mins and 20mins to City, 6 Euro each return for us older people. But I think most Austrians wing it as there are no barriers, it is on a trust basis.

The site was very good, I would rate it 9 out of 10, why not 10 shower cubicles on the small size. Good points Free wi-fi in a well heated room by the office, with coffee and drinks machine including beer. Shower and toilet block also very well heated. Reisemobil-Steelplatz also have sites in Graz, Salzburg and Mureck in Austria, which we will definitely stay when we visit Graz and Salzburg on our way home. Also have a loyalty card scheme 10 visits and you get one night free.

The next day Sat 7 March we set out to Vienna about 10am, got off the metro at Karls Platz and exited via Ober, as it is near to the Tourist Office. Well the first building you see coming up from the metro, just took my breath away and the day got better and better, what a fantastic city. Unluckily the Parliament buildings and City Hall were under renovation and not to be seen through the scaffold and coverings, but we have to live with that. Just a great day in all and a few pics for you.
St Stephens Cathedral
107 St Stephen's Cathedral.JPG

104 Sisi Museum.JPG

Above Sisi Museum

Sunday 8th we drove via Castle Liechtenstein to Sopron in Hungary and were going to visit the next day, but because of the Satellite issue we decide to set off early and see Sopron as soon as we got there. Then the Monday would be spent sorting out the Sat Dish. We were again stopping overnight at an SFS location. However out Sat Nav stopped short of the actual parking place, I’ll come back to that. We parked in the street and walked into town 15mins at the most, in the TI (TouristInfoOffice) we asked about parking and were advised that a street named Papret had a car park for cars and buses and we could stay there (we did free of charge, could cost in the week). It is a large car park with plenty of room and was quiet except for ‘A Murder’ of crows, what a noise in the morning, fortunately we had to get up early and were not parked under a tree.

Pics from Castle Liechtenstein
120.JPG

121.JPG

Sopron was lovely plenty historic building to see and a walk along a stretch of the original Roman walls of the fortress. Sopron is the second richest city in Hungary in regard to historic buildings. It is known as ‘The Town of Loyalty’ due to the 14 Dec 1921 referendum, when the towns people decided to remain as part of Hungary and not Austria. It also has a very good laundrette ‘Bubbles’.

Lady at the TI recommended a restaurant for lunch ‘Erhardt Etterem Es Panzio’ I had cream of garlic soup to start (brill) I compare it to the tapas garlic prawns for the garlic flavour. T didn’t want me anywhere near after that. Main Course I had a mixed grill, chicken, pork, steak and bacon, really good with some great small roast pots wedges, sauerkraut, and a load of thin crispy fried onion. T had chicken breast cooking in fine herbs, with jasmine rice and salad, plus an orange flavoured yoghurt dip. We had a bottle of wine and the bill was 46 euro with a tip.

When we went back to where we had parked the bus a street named Rozalla, I walked to the top of the street, uphill. Turned left in front of the sports stadium and there on the right was the SFS parking spot, flat and room for at least 10-12 places. So again SFS was spot on, even if the satnav could have done better.

On Monday a day almost wasted, Osyter website giving out wrong addresses sent us to the wrong place, me making stupid mistakes calling the wrong place and making an appointment at a company in Germany when we were near Hungary/Austrian border. We eventually found our specialist Oyster place ‘TomsCampingWelt’ Donnerskirchen arriving at 9am, couldn’t be seen until 1pm. I won’t bore you with the rest of the details but 120 Euro later no card facilities (Only had 110) so got away with the rest SatDish fixed. Still haven’t tried it again.

On Monday night Stayed close to Lake Nuesiedl near the town of Nuesiedl Am See at another SFS place called Weingut Sloboda also known as (Fabian Sloboda) N47.8502 16.831, it has a wine bar and all the wine is grown by the owner. 15Euro with elec, free if you buy 12 bottles of wine. Well to be honest T will do that in the next 3 days (joking), but over the next month we will have bought that amount. So we bit the bullet and 7 white wine and 5 rose later we had a free night at 71 British pounds. I have worked it out and we reckon, deducting the supermarket price and the 15 euro pitch fee the wine has cost 4 euro per bottle. Not bad value in my opinion.

Site has toilets, waste water, elec, chemical waste and fresh water, toilets very clean and all facilities easy to use, people very helpful also recycling.

Tuesday 10 March today, decided not to go to Gyor, instead found our way to the lake at Podersdorf Am See, the edge of the lake is occupied by camp sites. In the summer the place will be buzzing, but we had it almost to ourselves. Walked along the lake and back for about 2/3miles very peaceful a complete change from historical buildings, really enjoyed it. So here we are in Budapest and believe it or not I am up to date. So more soon if you aren’t bored yet (you will be).
Pics from Lake
DSC02653.JPG
DSC02654.JPG

Take Care and thanks to all who have posted, really appreciated.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We were going to do this trip last year but couldn't for health reasons so its great to be able to join you on it. Hoping to do this in a couple of years.
Thanks.
Steph
PS I hardly like to ask but have you coome across any restrictions because of the Coronavirus?

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Just a quick response to StephandJohn, we hadn't but we think we may run into some issues, in Szeged where we are now all the scheduled programmes, concerts etc. Basically anything bringing lot of people together in one place have been cancelled.

We have subscribed to a couple of info sights to try and keep up with the info, but are continuing with our plan at present. We will update as and when events occur.

Raul whose has posted in this thread has told me that Romanian border with Serbia is closed but we can access via the route we are planning which is Timisoara tomorrow.

All for now.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just a quick response to StephandJohn, we hadn't but we think we may run into some issues, in Szeged where we are now all the scheduled programmes, concerts etc. Basically anything bringing lot of people together in one place have been cancelled.

We have subscribed to a couple of info sights to try and keep up with the info, but are continuing with our plan at present. We will update as and when events occur.

Raul whose has posted in this thread has told me that Romanian border with Serbia is closed but we can access via the route we are planning which is Timisoara tomorrow.

All for now.
Do hope it all goes well and you can keep going.
Good job you started out when you did.
Steph

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for posting your trip probably like lots of other on here we are stuck at home after having to cancel our trip so really enjoying yours ?

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Day 14 Wed 11 March we visited Budapest. Those who have been here will know that prior to being named Budapest, it was two towns called Buda & Pest and only recently since 1875 has it been called Budapest. The town of Buda is on the higher ground and Pest the lower, separated by the Danube. The river bridge are amazing.

We did our own tour of the historical sited of Pest in the morning and joined a Tourist Info guided walking tour of Buda in the afternoon approx. 10 euro each, 6,000 Forint (very informative) and thoroughly enjoyed. Some fantastic building and views throughout the day, someone suggested we should stay until darkness took over to see the spectacular lights of the buildings along the river. Well yes it was good, but in my opinion a little overrated. We did have a drink to pass the time before darkness fell.
Fishermens Bastion Buda
168 Fishermens Bastion.JPG

Presidential Palace
172 Presidential Palace.JPG

Changing of the Guard Presidential Palace
174 Changing of the Guard Presidential Palace.JPG

Buda at Night from Pest
184 Budapest at Night.JPG

Day 15 Thur 12 March we have now arrived in Szeged, the roads Budapest to here were not the greatest, but we do take the scenic route and avoid toll roads. I believe we see a lot more of the country that way and because I don’t like spending money it’s cheaper. Well might be T says the extra miles we travel would pay for the Toll fees, what say you? Have already has a look round old town look fab as they all do. Tourist office told us where we could park and then said we couldn’t sleep in the MH overnight and that the campsite wasn’t open until May. Then gave us a leaflet showing the details of events and said they have all been cancelled due to Corona. Raul who has been helping us with info has told us the Hungarian border with Serbia has been closed and anyone entering from a Red Zone is being quarantined. So we are now paying a lot more attention to the news and have signed up for updates on a couple of sites. That’s it for now laptop battery about to run out, I was going to post this Fri 13th, but things have overtaken but it’s here no Sunday 15th. We have now completed our Szeged visit and also Timisoara and I will try to post our visit tomorrow.

Coronavirus even though only 100 cases in Romania as of yesterday, the government have sensibly closed all public buildings throughout the country that would attract crowds until 31 March. In Timisoara today it was very quiet, which I confirmed with a local police officer, it would appear people are stopping at home. All for now.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Thanks Drum Major, I have just caught up with a post from Raul.

As of 8am in the morning the Romanian President has declared a state of Emergency, I am just about to trawl the internet to find out what that means.

Update soon as I know more

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
So today is Day 20 17 March and it really looks like we have come to a grinding halt we are currently in a town Saliste about 12 miles from Sibiu. On our campsite Rudi & Ella a family place with 4 placements, we are the only one’s here. We have been looking at all the Romanian/Bulgarian issues and publications re what to do and not to do. Thought about making a run to Bulgaria (as their borders are still open) and then into Greece, so did some checking and anyone who enters Greece doesn’t matter where from, will be placed into 14 days quarantine (self-isolation). So that’s a no go.

The Romanian government seem to be taking a prevention better than cure approach and have advised anyone who’s travelled from a country with more than 500 confirmed cases to self-isolate for 14 days. It’s already been more than a week since we left Austria (they had 8 cases at the time, now over 800). We left Hungary on 14 March (8 cases when we left, 50 as of today) arriving in Romania the same day. We figured that it’s best to stay put for a week or so where we are.

What are your thoughts?

Bearing in mind that tomorrow the EU are most likely going close all the borders of the countries in the Schengen Agreement.

Rudi & Ella’s site has all the services on the site, including Wi-Fi (except washing). We went shopping yesterday and will only go out if we need more supplies, but we think we have enough on board to last including the G’n’T and wine. Then we’re planning to continue seeing the rest of what we planned in Romania and if boarders are closed see more of Romania, from my research there are plenty of beautiful places to visit. Plus Raul will also provide further help and advice I am sure, he has been great so far.

After that who knows what will happen. A week in a confined space together could be interesting. Some of the border crossings but not all have been closed to allow the authorities to concentrate on main locations.

We’re very mindful of the problems you’re experiencing. Really sorry for anyone who’s ill or isn’t able to look after themselves as well as they normally would, as well as anyone affected work wise. ‘T’ says she is sorry, but can’t resist saying there’s nothing worse than having less than 20 toilet rolls in the house and no shower spray.

I will post about our visit to Szeged and Timisoara into separate posts later today or tomorrow. I have plenty of time on my hands. The following pic is the view from the Bus door on Rudi & Ella’s campsite.

239 16-3-20 Rudi&Ella Saliste Campsite View.JPG

Take care all of you where every you are and don't take to many risks.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
So today is Day 20 17 March and it really looks like we have come to a grinding halt we are currently in a town Saliste about 12 miles from Sibiu. On our campsite Rudi & Ella a family place with 4 placements, we are the only one’s here. We have been looking at all the Romanian/Bulgarian issues and publications re what to do and not to do. Thought about making a run to Bulgaria (as their borders are still open) and then into Greece, so did some checking and anyone who enters Greece doesn’t matter where from, will be placed into 14 days quarantine (self-isolation). So that’s a no go.

The Romanian government seem to be taking a prevention better than cure approach and have advised anyone who’s travelled from a country with more than 500 confirmed cases to self-isolate for 14 days. It’s already been more than a week since we left Austria (they had 8 cases at the time, now over 800). We left Hungary on 14 March (8 cases when we left, 50 as of today) arriving in Romania the same day. We figured that it’s best to stay put for a week or so where we are.

What are your thoughts?

Bearing in mind that tomorrow the EU are most likely going close all the borders of the countries in the Schengen Agreement.

Rudi & Ella’s site has all the services on the site, including Wi-Fi (except washing). We went shopping yesterday and will only go out if we need more supplies, but we think we have enough on board to last including the G’n’T and wine. Then we’re planning to continue seeing the rest of what we planned in Romania and if boarders are closed see more of Romania, from my research there are plenty of beautiful places to visit. Plus Raul will also provide further help and advice I am sure, he has been great so far.

After that who knows what will happen. A week in a confined space together could be interesting. Some of the border crossings but not all have been closed to allow the authorities to concentrate on main locations.

We’re very mindful of the problems you’re experiencing. Really sorry for anyone who’s ill or isn’t able to look after themselves as well as they normally would, as well as anyone affected work wise. ‘T’ says she is sorry, but can’t resist saying there’s nothing worse than having less than 20 toilet rolls in the house and no shower spray.

I will post about our visit to Szeged and Timisoara into separate posts later today or tomorrow. I have plenty of time on my hands. The following pic is the view from the Bus door on Rudi & Ella’s campsite.

View attachment 369874

Take care all of you where every you are and don't take to many risks.
Thanks for all of your info.
we are supposed to be setting off for Greece at the end of April. Guess we won’t be going ?
I hope you have a great time in Romania anyway.
keep us all updated and take care x

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Thanks for all of your info.
we are supposed to be setting off for Greece at the end of April. Guess we won’t be going ?
I hope you have a great time in Romania anyway.
keep us all updated and take care x
You never know things might be returning to normality by then, fingers crossed :emo:.

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
You never know things might be returning to normality by then, fingers crossed :emo:.
We are praying that this will be the case. !
we are thinking of all those who are currently suffering or worrying about this terrible crisis.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
As we said visited the Tourinfo office in Szeged already knowing there were no camping sites or parking areas and asked where we could park. They provided a couple of locations and then said we couldn’t sleep in the vehicle overnight. Anyone heard of that before, we have been told that is the case in Croatia but not about Hungary.

We were already parked in a street named Cserzy Mihaly and paid a parking meter fee, directly opposite was a car park, the attendant hut empty at 3pm. The Car Park is called Parkoloautomata 133, opposite local Police station on junction with Mars Ter. On out return we moved onto the car park and parked as inconspicuously as possible in the flattest area we could and decided to risk it. Not too noisy but ‘T’ I know was on edge. Next morning the parking attendant was fine and we charged 1500 Forint, nearly 5 Euro for the night. The Tourinfo had mentioned campsite on other side of river Partfurdo not currently open, and a free car park near there.

So we decided to move from Parkoloautomata 133 to other side of river with free parking at Torontal Ter, which is located the other side of Belvarosi Hid(Bridge), still with easy access into the town. Busy in the morning but managed to park and as evening drew in and cars moved and were able to move to a better flat location. A quiet night but a little bit of road noise Parkoloautomata 133 was quieter.

We did our self-walking tour and were impressed with the sights and buildings, stopped for coffee a couple of times and here are a few pics. We decided to have lunch after our walk in ‘The Memories of India’ very nice and recommended if you visit.
Belvarosi Cinema - The Art Deco building was built in 1920 (refurbished in 2019) and is the only cinema of the period still in operation in Hungary.
187 Belvarosi Cinema.JPG

The Local Swimming Baths-Actually known as Anna Bath the Medical & Leisure Baths the waters are used for digestive problems amongst other medical treatments.

190 Medical & Leisure Baths.JPG

City Hall viewed from Szechenyi Park - Why are they all so grand?
195 City Hall.JPG

Memories of India
214 Memories of India.JPG

That's Szeged feeling very comfortable after that meal with a bottle of local white wine, cost 30 Euro.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi again Dennis, update on the Bulgarian Border situation, British citizens without current long term or permanent residency cards will be refused entry at the border points, even for transit to other states, this exclusion affects sixteen other states also.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back