Athens via the Balkans & Back in 99Days (1 Viewer)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The Austrian-German border will reopen on June 15th, and some of the current restrictions will be lifted this Friday, if that helps anyone.
The German Interior Minister has announced that France and Switzerland, and possibly also Denmark, will be included in this, and that the border with Luxembourg will be open from this Saturday.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
The German Interior Minister has announced that France and Switzerland, and possibly also Denmark, will be included in this, and that the border with Luxembourg will be open from this Saturday.
So does that mean that Brits can go across France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria from 15th June...or is this just a hope ? What about the 14 days quarantine on entering France that I keep hearing about ?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
So does that mean that Brits can go across France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria from 15th June...or is this just a hope ? What about the 14 days quarantine on entering France that I keep hearing about ?
It's currently just the borders between Germany and those countries mentioned which are opening, nothing has yet been said, as far as I know, about the UK/France border.

The quarantine does not apply to people coming into France from the UK (or anywhere in EU/Schengen).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
% we now have 14 day quarantine for anyone entering spain as from 15th May until end of state of emergency , which is the 24th May at the moment but will be extended by 2 weeks probably.

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Dennisad ..... reply from my friends.... not sure if it gives you more than you know already....

Apparently Chris there is a new document to get, but saying that we were never stopped and went through at least three checkpoints and waved through no problem. All paperwork is on the Government website, yes we are both well working hard, and just hoping it will be ok by the end of October ?

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Sun 26 April

Out early today as I want/need to be back for Facebook appointment Sunday morning mass, after which tried to sit out but to much cloud cover so came in and trawled the internet for any updates from any of the countries we need to travel through to get home. Nothing much to get excited about, so we played a couple of games and that was our day.

Mon 27 April

3.7mile walk this morning/afternoon in lovely sunshine, went close to, but avoided the small Saliste Monday market. Visited local supermarket masked up to go in now and have been so for about a week or more, bread, biscuits and chocolate all very essential items. It’s looking like they are going to relax restrictions at the end of this current State of Emergency, so watch this space. Then we relaxed in the sunshine for the rest of the day listen to radio 2. Took a video of the local transport, horse and cart, good video but can't load it here.

Tue 28 April

10.15am Rudi has come to us with some information he has from the TV news, that tips our routine on its head. Yesterday the government relaxed the restrictions on over 65’s. Now we can go out from 7am (don’t be ridiculous) until 11am and then again from 7pm until 10pm. Still need a declaration as to why you are going out i.e. shopping and or exercise.

We were going to the fruit & veg shop, but that has gone on the back burner until tomorrow. Weather is good so we sit outside most of the morning and afternoon. We go out smack on 7pm and are out about 1hour 15mins and did 4.7miles not bad. Strange being out at that time, sun going down and completely different feel to the place. Tomorrow much to my dismay we are getting up early so we can go out and do shop shopping before the 11am deadline.

Wed 29 April

Out just after 9.30am, I thought there was only one 9.30. We did the fruit and veg shopping and got back just before 10.45am sat outside in the lovely sunshine for about half an hour or so before some ominous clouds appeared. ‘T’ did a clean up inside, I did some of the outside chores and all finished just before the rain started.

Then we had thunder but without the lightening and now 5.30pm the sun has just started shining again. It’s nearly that hour to partake in a drop of wine or similar, best check the fridge not sure any wine in it. Oh no the fridge was bare, bottle in freezer now and will have to settle for a GnT before starting on the wine.

Thurs 30 April

Out again just after 9.30am a bit cooler today and with a wind. Walked just over 4 ½ miles today. We have an app on the phone that tells you how for you have walked. You can also do totals and in the month 1-30 April we have done almost 90 miles. If we start now and keep it going we might be home by July/August next year.

Sat outside for about half an hour, but to windy so have been in the bus most of the day door open when sunshine closed when the wind gets up. 7 o’clock and still drinking coffee, that has to change. I have a 330ml bottle of Strongbow ‘Dry White Cider’ 5% Alc. Never seen it before anywhere, but it is a life saver, I don’t do beer. We also had the longest game of rummy today about 2 hours and the winner only has to reach 121.

Fri 1 May

Labor (that’s how it spelt here) Day, here in Romania and a day off for those at work aren’t they lucky. Out again about 9.30 did a bit of shopping whilst out and then sat in the garden for a short while till the dark clouds came over with thunder and heavy rain. Most of the day spent inside playing games of one description or another, listening to music from our CD collection I have downloaded on to the laptop.

Just deciding what to have for evening meal paprika and garlic prawns with pasta of some description and a few glasses of wine to help.

Sat 2 May

Morning walk was good nearly 4 miles and then plenty of sunshine in the afternoon, so not a bad day.

Sun 3 May

Not much at all to report today, no walk, rain stopped play and still raining as it approaches 7pm the second spell that we can go out walking. Attended Facebook church service and later watched an Andrew Lloyd Webber concert to celebrate his birthday that has been put on you tube over the weekend to raise money for various charities. I don’t know what age he and the artists were, but he and they looked about 25, well maybe a bit older.

So that is another week done and dusted, I have to admit that this has been the hardest week as the weather hasn’t been so good. We are both fine if we can sit in the sun reading, listening to the radio.

We are moving closer to a relaxation of travelling restrictions and starting to think what we should do? Not knowing if campsites are open is a bit concerning, but we shall have to call ahead and check. Still got no idea about the Hungarian border situation, it is going to have to be a phone call to the UK embassy to check.

Take Care more next week if you can stand it?
We are following your exploits with admiration you are coping so well. We were in Spain when Lockdown occurred but we're asked to leave the campsite and advised to return to the UK which we did on the 19th March.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Okay here we go BORDER ADVENTURE starts tomorrow morning:

Mon 11 May – Sat 16 May

No extending of the Eurotunnel ticket, we are on our way home on Monday.

This week was much like last week and the week before, no I am not being down just stating it as it is. Once again mostly sunny and plenty of sitting outside. On Thursday to say we had some wind (no not us) is an understatement, no sitting out. On Wednesday ‘T’ caught her heel on a sharp metal edge of the seat whilst cleaning, a nasty looking gash, not that big but probably needed a butterfly stitch. A lot of pressure and a big plaster later and all was good.

Have taken a few more photos through this week, which I will include. Strange, now that we are departing Saliste I feel a bit down and almost wish we could stay now that lockdown here has become as in the UK ‘A State of Alert’ in Romania. When we were out walking this afternoon (Sat) there were lots of children out playing a sight we haven’t seen. Unfortunately to many adults were gathering together, it’s a bit like its over, but they must know it isn’t we must still maintain social distancing otherwise we will be back to square one!!!!! Enough of my rant, we have been busy contacting various agencies on how we get back.

We have been in contact with the Hungarian Authorities and were directed to contact the police. We have received some clear guidance from them so hopefully we will be okay getting in and out of Hungary.

We have read of 2 hours waiting at the Hungarian borders, but it is what it is. Ipod and our music will get us through. Raul has heard of 8km queues both ways.

To get into Austria and be able to stop at places on route you need a SARS Cov2 medical cert, no older than 4 days. I have trawled the internet but cannot find any info on how you get the test. If you do not have a medical cert to must transit Austria without stopping. I sent an email to the Austrian government asking if they could advise how we could get a test. We did get a reply that like the FCO did not answer the question. But we believe they are saying no medical certificate equals no stopping.

Looks like we have to drive straight through Austria, have thought about saying we will and then just stop as we were planning to. Any thoughts????

Germany looks okay and so does Belgium and then we just need a self-declaration for travelling through France, we have the form already.

Then just when you think everything is okay, the FCO Romanian travel guide changes as of yesterday (Friday). For the first time it states if you intend to travel through Romania you need to contact the British Embassy in Bucharest. I have lost count of how many times we have contacted them. Anyway, we have done what we were requested to and had a reply within an hour or so saying that my request has been forwarded to the appropriate department.

Reply or no reply by Monday we are starting our journey, we have the latest ‘State of Alert Self Declaration Form’ that we have completed and are fairly sure we will be okay.

Sun 17 May

What is ahead of us on Monday? We are going to go via Auchan in Deva and do a big shop as the prices here are much cheaper. Then move on to either the Campsite Route Roemenie, near Miniș, Comuna Ghioroc, Județul Arad, Romania, if they are closed there is a Lake/Beach free parking area at Ghioroc that we will use for overnight. Then Tuesday the first border crossing, which made me think of this:

Many Borders to cross, but we can't seem to find our way through, wandering we are lost. As we travel the countries of Europe in this Corona Crisis. Oh how we long for the white cliffs of Dover.

Many borders to cross and it's only our will that keeps us alive. We’ve been stranded in Romanian Lockdown and we merely survive because of our pride, this loneliness won't leave us alone, it's such a drag to be on our own. The governments have left us and haven’t said why, I guess we just have to try.

Many borders still to cross, we just have to try, so many borders to cross. But just where to begin, we just don’t have much time.

We're running out of time and now we find ourselves thinking of committing some dreadful crime.

Yes, we've got many borders to cross, who knows if we will find our way home? Wandering and lost as we long for the white cliffs of Dover.

Back to reality and Tuesday, as I have said we have been in contact with the Hungarian Police and provided them with our route they have responded saying that it will be okay to enter and drive through with the route we have given them. Well that is what via Google Translate we believe they said as they replied to us in Hungarian.

So early on Tuesday 6amish (border hopefully not that busy) we will present ourselves at Nadlac Romania/Nagylac Hungary border crossing point and pray. We are hoping to leave Hungary on Friday 22 May at a border point near Sopron, but haven't identified that yet, neither did the Hungarian Police in their response.

As already commented looking like having to transit through Austria none stop and then rest up somewhere in Germany and decided what to do until the Tunnel on 4 June.

Fingers crossed for our next adventure ‘Many Borders to Cross’ thanks to UB40.

A few pics - A view across Saliste
322 9 May.JPG

Our Back Yard
323.JPG

Our Street we live towards the end on the right
325 15 May.JPG

A reminder of the awful view we have had to put up with.
327 16 May.JPG

Remind you of anyone?
329 D D Rosco.JPG

Take Care all of you and please still stay safe, it’s to soon for taking risks.

Dennis & Terry

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
You have been stoic throughout this and, although I suspect your journey to the White Cliffs of Dover won’t be without incident, you have the right mentality to cope with whatever obstacles are put in your way. Keep your chin up... and please keep us posted. I, for one, will be thinking of you.?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
You'll make the white cliffs I'm sure and just cope with whatever you come across on the way.
I think stoic is the right word for you two. Jest keep on keeping on and it will be OK.
Steph

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Okay here we go BORDER ADVENTURE starts tomorrow morning:

Mon 11 May – Sat 16 May

No extending of the Eurotunnel ticket, we are on our way home on Monday.

This week was much like last week and the week before, no I am not being down just stating it as it is. Once again mostly sunny and plenty of sitting outside. On Thursday to say we had some wind (no not us) is an understatement, no sitting out. On Wednesday ‘T’ caught her heel on a sharp metal edge of the seat whilst cleaning, a nasty looking gash, not that big but probably needed a butterfly stitch. A lot of pressure and a big plaster later and all was good.

Have taken a few more photos through this week, which I will include. Strange, now that we are departing Saliste I feel a bit down and almost wish we could stay now that lockdown here has become as in the UK ‘A State of Alert’ in Romania. When we were out walking this afternoon (Sat) there were lots of children out playing a sight we haven’t seen. Unfortunately to many adults were gathering together, it’s a bit like its over, but they must know it isn’t we must still maintain social distancing otherwise we will be back to square one!!!!! Enough of my rant, we have been busy contacting various agencies on how we get back.

We have been in contact with the Hungarian Authorities and were directed to contact the police. We have received some clear guidance from them so hopefully we will be okay getting in and out of Hungary.

We have read of 2 hours waiting at the Hungarian borders, but it is what it is. Ipod and our music will get us through. Raul has heard of 8km queues both ways.

To get into Austria and be able to stop at places on route you need a SARS Cov2 medical cert, no older than 4 days. I have trawled the internet but cannot find any info on how you get the test. If you do not have a medical cert to must transit Austria without stopping. I sent an email to the Austrian government asking if they could advise how we could get a test. We did get a reply that like the FCO did not answer the question. But we believe they are saying no medical certificate equals no stopping.

Looks like we have to drive straight through Austria, have thought about saying we will and then just stop as we were planning to. Any thoughts????

Germany looks okay and so does Belgium and then we just need a self-declaration for travelling through France, we have the form already.

Then just when you think everything is okay, the FCO Romanian travel guide changes as of yesterday (Friday). For the first time it states if you intend to travel through Romania you need to contact the British Embassy in Bucharest. I have lost count of how many times we have contacted them. Anyway, we have done what we were requested to and had a reply within an hour or so saying that my request has been forwarded to the appropriate department.

Reply or no reply by Monday we are starting our journey, we have the latest ‘State of Alert Self Declaration Form’ that we have completed and are fairly sure we will be okay.

Sun 17 May

What is ahead of us on Monday? We are going to go via Auchan in Deva and do a big shop as the prices here are much cheaper. Then move on to either the Campsite Route Roemenie, near Miniș, Comuna Ghioroc, Județul Arad, Romania, if they are closed there is a Lake/Beach free parking area at Ghioroc that we will use for overnight. Then Tuesday the first border crossing, which made me think of this:

Many Borders to cross, but we can't seem to find our way through, wandering we are lost. As we travel the countries of Europe in this Corona Crisis. Oh how we long for the white cliffs of Dover.

Many borders to cross and it's only our will that keeps us alive. We’ve been stranded in Romanian Lockdown and we merely survive because of our pride, this loneliness won't leave us alone, it's such a drag to be on our own. The governments have left us and haven’t said why, I guess we just have to try.

Many borders still to cross, we just have to try, so many borders to cross. But just where to begin, we just don’t have much time.

We're running out of time and now we find ourselves thinking of committing some dreadful crime.

Yes, we've got many borders to cross, who knows if we will find our way home? Wandering and lost as we long for the white cliffs of Dover.

Back to reality and Tuesday, as I have said we have been in contact with the Hungarian Police and provided them with our route they have responded saying that it will be okay to enter and drive through with the route we have given them. Well that is what via Google Translate we believe they said as they replied to us in Hungarian.

So early on Tuesday 6amish (border hopefully not that busy) we will present ourselves at Nadlac Romania/Nagylac Hungary border crossing point and pray. We are hoping to leave Hungary on Friday 22 May at a border point near Sopron, but haven't identified that yet, neither did the Hungarian Police in their response.

As already commented looking like having to transit through Austria none stop and then rest up somewhere in Germany and decided what to do until the Tunnel on 4 June.

Fingers crossed for our next adventure ‘Many Borders to Cross’ thanks to UB40.

A few pics - A view across Saliste
View attachment 388745
Our Back Yard
View attachment 388746
Our Street we live towards the end on the right
View attachment 388747
A reminder of the awful view we have had to put up with.
View attachment 388749
Remind you of anyone?
View attachment 388750

Take Care all of you and please still stay safe, it’s to soon for taking risks.

Dennis & Terry
Good luck to you both, hope you have an uneventful drive back God bless.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Mon 18 May

We have achieved getting to Minis, 157 miles with no interference. However the Campsite was shut so we are unfortunately parked by the side of a lake with a man-made beach called Playa Ghioroc, in Comunei Ghioroc, some pictures.
IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

345 Ghoiroc Sunset.jpg

I bet you feel sorry for us, you shouldn't it was 29degrees when we got here.

Checked our email before we set off and nothing from FCO bucharest, checked again on route and yes, they wanted some info, which included the reason for travel and compelling circumstances. We responded with all they asked for and said we wanted to return home and be repatriated to uk.

A further email asking for more info and stating that Repatriation was not compelling. We replied again and this time included that fact that I will run out of essential medication if we don't get home. This time a response that states request forward to Romanian Ministry of Affairs and they FCO Bucharest will let us know the response by hopefully lunchtime tomorrow. What confuses us is that we are trying to leave the country, not enter it.

So now we don't know whether to wait for a response tomorrow or go to the border (and then may have to wait) or thinking more optimistically we may get across????

Tue 19 May

After a late night discussion, we decided no waiting we are going to go for the border, mainly on the basis we just can't understand why the Romanian Government would want to stop us leaving, it doesn't add up to either of us.

Headed for the original border crossing at Nadlac/ Romania & Nadglak/Hungary, on the E68 not the A1 motorway as trucks were directed to go that way. Not that I ever know which lane we should take even at the tunnel. We were also checking every so often for the holy grail from Bucharest FCO.

As we travelling towards Nadlac we were behind a petrol tanker and as we reached the end of the car queue the tanker went down the lane on the inside of the cars, I know not why, but I said to 'T' follow the tanker, which she did, a minor miracle in itself. Nearly half a mile later we were at the front of the queue and the tanker was turned away and we were where we were at least half a mile further ahead and a saving of 2/3hours. I did wonder what the car people thought, but decided against going to the back of the queue.

We got to the front of the queue at 10am waited for 30 mins and we were waved through the Romania border to the Hungarian border check point with no checks whatsoever.

Pics from the queue to Hungarian border. A Long way to go and both a little stressed.
IMG_1497.JPG

Not very far now.
IMG_1499.JPG

As we were waiting in this queue, the 'Holy Grail' arrived, a summary of the message. "I have just been informed by the Romanian Ministry of Affairs that you do not need permission to transit through Romania and you can start your journey". I will not make any comment but you are welcome to, PLEASE!!!!!

We got through Hungarian customs at 11:45 Romanian time. 10:45 Hungarian time, so either 45mins or 1hour 45 mins wait, I don't care we are in Hungary. This was after checks and presenting the email from Hungarian Police (not sure what difference it made, it had the route we were going to travel, which meant nothing). We were sent to see the doctor who pointed a laser type gun at our throats and said okay. When we returned to the Bus, the customs guy pointed to a sticker on the windscreen that stated 'Only For Transit' and provided us with a map showing a number of routes we could use but no others. We were on our way.

Here is the map, we are in the bottom right heading for the Austrian flag near Moson Services our overnight stop.
IMG_1501.JPG

The route shows only motorways and the places you can stop, are motorway services area, some with cafe/eating facilities, toilets and water taps that we can fill up from, if necessary. We have also lost an hour, now only 1 hour ahead of the UK instead of 2 as in Romania.

Done nearly 300 miles today, not worried, but don't want to stay on Motorway service areas overnight like last night, but it is rough with the smooth. So we have decided to transit through Austria tomorrow (300 miles at least) and then relax and review in Germany if the current corona status, is what we think it is, more relaxed and decide what to do until 4 June.

A new song to celebrate our first border crossing. Here we go don't cringe!!!

5 Country borders waiting in a line, 5 Country borders waiting in a line, when we crossed the first border, there were four Country borders waiting in a line. I know it's rubbish but it works!!!!!

That's it folk more as it unfolds.

Take care and stay safe.

Dennis & Terry

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
I can think of a few but Elton tops the list. Keep safe and have a pleasant journey, I’ve loved this thread which is packed with joy and optimism
Absolutely the one and only, gonna miss DDRosco worth a bit of research a remarkable life and also buried in Saliste.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Absolutely the one and only, gonna miss DDRosco worth a bit of research a remarkable life and also buried in Saliste.
I was prompted by your post to do a Google search of DD Rosca and then I had to do another search to understand the theory of existentialism!
I'm very relieved that you are making progress with your journey home. Every morning I search for your updates and, after this latest thread, I am able to put faces to the messages. Thank you and Good Luck.?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Safe travels,,hope all goes smoothly from now on,,BUSBY (y) (y) (y)

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Wed 20 May

Only 2 Country borders still waiting in our line, knocking them over like skittles.

Started out this morning from the Hungarian service station at 9:15 and were at the Austrian border with a dozen other vehicles at 9:30, they handed us a form that they said we needed to complete before the next border point. It was a declaration stating you had travelled through without a stopover, which we duly completed. Nobody at the Austrian exit or Germany entry border were remotely interested in.

Arrived at Austrian/German border point at 2:10 a fairly big queue, but 30 mins later we were through. As we got to the police check point, they stopped us, which they hadn't done with other vehicles. Examined our passports and asked us if we were going home, we say Yes. They say okay and carry on. We ask can we drive our own route and they say Yes, so we know there are no rules about stopping so we are free in Germany until we need to make the Euro tunnel.

I now need to try and paint a picture. I am driving when we get to the border. After the police stop and tell us to carry on, I look up to start driving and the lane we are in has nothing in front of us. So thinking yippy, I hit the accelerator, then I notice two lanes to my right about 100 yards ahead of us full of vehicles with their occupants obviously in line waiting to be checked. I brake thinking should we be in that queue, a very quick word to 'T' should we be in that line, 'T' hesitates and the decision is made 'Chase me' and off we go, me looking in the wing mirrors praying not to see blue flashing lights. We may be fugitives, but I really do not care.

350 miles after we started out today we are parked up for the night on a ParknRide just outside Munich that we will visit tomorrow, via the metro that is 1 min walk away and the parking fee is 1.50 Euro per day (24 hours) no services. Really looking forward to being able to move about, obviously obeying whatever restrictions are in place. We are also talking about visiting some lakes in country areas and just being lazy as well as some big cities. Sitting here feeling really, really, good about life, I would have been so miffed if we had to transit through Germany.

As we are approaching the Austrian border, I spy a double decker bus, that reminds me of a Black Country Bus night out (a night on a bus that you hire, it has it’s own bar and also stops at a number of local Black Country pubs, allowing you to visit and drink in them if you wish). This bus looks like upmarket black country night out.

342 20 May Austrian Border Black Country Trip.JPG

Now I need to paint another picture, I am driving when we get to the German border. After the police stop and tell us to carry on, I look up at the open road ahead and start driving with nothing in front of us. Thinking yippy as I hit the accelerator, I suddenly become aware of two lanes to my right about 100 yards ahead of us full of vehicles with their occupants obviously in line waiting to be checked. I brake thinking should we be in that queue, a very quick word to 'T' should we be in that line, 'T' hesitates and the decision is made 'Chase me' and off we go, me looking in the wing mirrors praying not to see blue flashing lights. We may be fugitives, but I don’t care.

350 miles after we started out we are parked up for the night on a ParknRide just outside Munich that we will visit tomorrow, via the metro that is 1 min walk away.

As you are all use to, when you arrive somewhere you have to do the reccie to find out costs, how long you can stay and any penalties if you make a mistake and it's all written in a language you don't know. I take photos of all the signs and return to the Bus to use my next best friend to 'T' Google Translate.

Now then here I go with what we both think is the funniest thing that has happened on this trip. We have noticed a man with what looks like a satchel for keeping money in and possibly a ticket machine wandering around the car park. Best guess he is the guy to give you a contravention of rules ticket/ fine.

So thinking get him onside I approach him, he is talking on the phone, he stops and I ask if he speaks English and how long can we stay, after the usual interaction between people that cannot understand each other. I offer him my phone open at google translate he realises I want him to type what he is saying and types in the following "Ich bin nursing vein Busfaher" and hands the phone back to me.

I read the translation and collapse laughing and so does he as he obviously understands I am asking about the car park fees. The translation said in English " I am only a bus driver". I hope you see the funny side he did and 'T' was in hysterics when I showed her my phone. We finally worked out the parking fee is 1.50 Euro per day (24 hours) no services. There are toilet’s but you wouldn't use them.

Really looking forward to being able to move about, obviously obeying whatever restrictions are in place, we have talking about visiting some lakes in the country areas and just being lazy as well as some big cities. Sitting here feeling really good about life, I would have been so miffed if we had to transit through Germany.

Thursday 21 May

Out at 10ish a long 1 min walk to metro, 20 mins into Munich, which is lovely. Restaurants and bars open but all outside no indoors at all. When you sit down you are given a form to fill in your details and telephone number, for tracing purposes. Had a great day, it felt great to be free (I know we have been in Saliste), but to be able to walk and stop at a bar/cafe was awesome after having only the option of walking. The English park is beautiful and there were plenty of people out sitting and relaxing (it was a holiday in Germany today for fathers day (ascension of our Lord)). They were in the main keeping the social distancing. All the shops were closed, luckily for me as 'T' couldn't spend any of my money. She does have some of her own, but likes to spend mine if she can. Only Joking what mine is hers and I don't have anything.

We walked about 8 miles today, so can say we have seen most of Munich's centre, Marienplatz where we got off the metro is fab, city hall, a working glockenspiel in the tower and cafe/bars to sit and watch it operate and the world go by, in the lovely sunshine. Apple Strudel to die for, what more can we ask for in this life.
The English Park in Munich
munich1.jpg

IMG_4293.JPG

Above the Town Hall & Glockenspiel

We have discovered that campsites do not reopen until 30 May. So we have to rely on Stellaplatz places, which fortunately in Germany are mostly very well equipped IMO. Tomorrow we are making a 50 mile trip to Dieben (or Diessen) am Amersee a small town on the edge of Lake Ammersee (twinned with Lake Windermere).

Friday 22 May

13 days and we will be back in Stourbridge, not sure about it, but not a lot of choice. We are now in Dieben an Ammersee and have been for a walk around and it is beautiful. I know I say it about lots of places, but in their own way they are. This is picturesque, lots of paintings on the houses and business premises, a stream running down the middle of town into the lake that has been made into a water feature and residents that take a pride in where they live, stunning.
Our Home in Dieben am Amersee the middle one.
IMG_1520.JPG

Just a house on the main road through Dieben am Amersee
IMG_1521.JPG

When we arrived as I knew ‘T’ was in one of those women’s things about the state/condition of her hair, I suggested a walk and find a hairdresser’s so she could be happy with life again. First one we found no appointment until at least Thursday next week and according to ‘T’ bloke looked like a tattooist. The second one nothing until Monday and the third a bit further out of town could do it straight away ‘Oh Happy Days’.

I went for a walk just meandering found some take away/delivery menu’s one for a place selling, Indian, Thai, Mexican and Pizza. The other an Italian Restaurant doing authentic Italian meals and Pizza’s. Then to the ice cream shop a cone with a scoop of caramel and a scoop of Crème Brulee, then sat outside in the sun eating said ice cream with great pleasure. Walked down the main street admiring the stream and its various features. Once again sitting in the sun and then ‘T’ calls to say she is finished and a short while later we are reunited.

Whilst waiting I send her a text to say how great her hair is looking followed by fingers crossed!!!!!

We walk down the rest of the main street until we reach a hotel/restaurant/bar sitting outside only. We fill in the obligatory form to say who we are and enjoy a carafe of dry white wine between us. The whole place is so relaxing and its very warm and sunny. As below 'T' in middle light coloured dress on phone.
IMG_1523.JPG

On returning to the Bus we sat outside until the sun went down lovely.

More soon, take care, all you.

DnT

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
DnT, That is great news. What an asset Google Translate has been - sometimes! T's hair looks lovely. Life will seem so dull once you get back to Stourbridge.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Sat 23 May
I think just some pics from around the town will suffice instead of words for this wonderful place.
IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

Above look at the Gnome on the right.
IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

As you walk to this observation point you get a slight view of the lake, the walkway is over what in winter will be marshland, but now is dry. Then up in the observation point you see this:
IMG_4322.JPG

Then a little later in the walk 'T' see's this:
Mask.jpg

Aperol Spritz in left hand and GnT in the right a great way to end our walk. Just after this it became very black and overcast so we made post haste back to the bus.

Sun 24 May
We were going to move on today, but weather tomorrow is a bit rainy and today here is sunny mostly with the chance of rain a little later.

Yesterday I forgot to mention, near to where the gnome was having a tinkle was a small stall/shop selling freshly cooked fish (as you wait) in a bap with tomato, salad and real horseradish, 5 Euro and worth every cent.

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

Not mine, but a great view up the main street.

Mon 25 May
With great regret we move from Dieben am Ammersee Nuremberg. I don’t know why but can’t wait to stand in the place where the Nazi rallies were. We have arrived and are parked up on an authorised motorhome parking place, no services but okay. On doing a bit more research on how we get to Nuremberg itself, which I know is just over 2 miles away, I discovered that we are again near to a lake ‘Wohrder See’ and that the 2 mile walk into Nuremberg we can do alongside the Lake and then the Pegnitz River and into the heart of Nuremberg, what a result. Had a little walk to see the lake, fed the baby ducks, with some old bread, they corafe move (black Country speak) when bread is thrown into the lake. There is also a beach area and we also found a restaurant/café that fortunately served wine.
IMG_1561.JPG

The Beach
IMG_1563.JPG

Can you spot the budding model?
IMG_1564.JPG

Tues 26 May

Visited Nuremberg, it took about 40 minutes to walk along the side of the lake and the river and we were in the centre of Nuremberg. Weather was supposed to be sunny, but was mostly cloudy until late afternoon, then it was really nice. ‘T’ was a little frustrated as we had no map and we missed the tourist info point. So we wandered aimlessly and saw all of the sights I had prepared and we walked approximately 12 miles in the day.

I had the famous Nuremberg sausages, tasted like sausages do to me, nothing to write home about. Towards the end of the day we found what you find in most places (not Saliste) an Irish Bar and I had my first pint of cider since leaving home. It was Bulmer’s of which I am not a great lover, but better than the other option ‘NONE’. More pics of Nuremberg in next post.

All for now, but more to follow.

Take care, I can't believe that in a weeks time we will be back in Stourbridge, I don't want it to happen.

But there is golf when I get back, local club is Halesowen, you have to be a billy goat, never a flat lie.

DnT

Attachments

• IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 13
May 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
On the lookout
Exp
On and off since 2006
I have just joined Fun and i have really enjoyed reading about your travels.
Hope the rest of your journey home is trouble free, stay safe👍

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Did you know it was a German who invented garden gnomes? True.
I never knew that, but what I do know is the German's know how to enjoy themselves. Today is 29 May and the campsites officially open tomorrow, the site we are on tonight is rammed and the restaurant was great after cooking for ourselves constantly for just over two months.

OP
OP
Dennisad

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Wed 27 May

Pics of Nuremberg
IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

Above is the old Customs House it has two underground cellars.

Today moved on from Nuremberg, after visiting ‘The Nuremberg Parade Grounds’ of ‘The Nazi Party’ the history is interesting. I have read a book on the life of Hitler and lots of what we saw today reminded me of things I had read.

Another lovely sunny day, just like the UK apparently.

Pic from Nuremberg Rally Grounds of Deutsches Stadion
IMG_1609.JPG

Plus with the Bus
IMG_1610.JPG

We stopped at a small town called Speyer on route to Mannheim, it was lovely, I know I say that all the time, I can’t help it these places all have something special.
Looks Good

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

Behind the Church is a lovely park area for walking in.

Can't take anymore of the internet taking forever!!!

Take Care more tomorrow

Dennis & Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back