The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (4 Viewers)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I fit solar panels with 50mm aluminium angle down the long sides and self tappers holding the panels to the mounts. The mounts bonded down with sikaflex wont move. If done right, you will get no lift under the panels and you need the airspace to dissipate the heat generated by the sun on a black glass panel

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I wasn't necessarily thinking for aerodynamics. Just thought it would prevent air from getting under the solar panel and stop it from lifting?

Or is that what you're sayin and i haven't understood?

You haven’t misunderstood. My original comment was aimed at the ‘air dams’ rather than the smooth panel mount/edges.

Ian

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If they work for you, stick with it.

Do you have the videos still?

Ian

Videos are lurking on a memory card somewhere if I can be bother to go through them.

Some of these big name seem to think vortex generators work. (y)

1581199531901.png
1581199623283.png

1581199545962.png
1581199640931.png

1581199661955.png
1581199684934.png

1581200281681.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I wasn't necessarily thinking for aerodynamics. Just thought it would prevent air from getting under the solar panel and stop it from lifting?

Or is that what you're sayin and i haven't understood?
I use 2 x 2 x 1/8 aluminium angle along the long sides - not full length but two or three (depending on panel size) decent sections. Costs peanuts compared with ABS mounts and you can choose the footprint you're happy with.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Puraflex Pu adhesive from Toolstation is £5.28 a tube and sticks as good as Sikafix. I had to remove a flexible solar panel from my roof a couple of years back that was put on with Puraflex, there was no way it would ever come off of its own accord.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
stixal from toolstation is same as the sika and lots cheaper ive stuck loads of panels with it without problems my sons one is huge 30ws
we just used ally angle to make the brackets

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Thanks for all the replys!! Solar panels will be up hopefully next weekend!

Next question ?

Ventilation..... Ive got two big windows, and two thule omnivents (one with the extraction fan).. Is this enough or is it worth getting some side vents? Or maybe a mushroom vent that vents 24/7?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Also consider a 12V fan type skylight as when it's really hot You can suck the hot air out of your van or suck the cold air in. If You are cooking they suck the food smells out as well.

Check!! Thats the thule Omnivent. We have one regular skylight and one with the extraction fan.

Have got one of the spinning vents you linked to? Concerned about noise ?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Puraflex Pu adhesive from Toolstation is £5.28 a tube and sticks as good as Sikafix. I had to remove a flexible solar panel from my roof a couple of years back that was put on with Puraflex, there was no way it would ever come off of its own accord.
stixal from toolstation is same as the sika and lots cheaper ive stuck loads of panels with it without problems my sons one is huge 30ws
we just used ally angle to make the brackets
There is a reason why airline and yacht manufacturers use Sikaflex and not some cheap version, indeed watch the how a Morello is built video and you'll see boxes of Sikaflex on at least five occasions, if the cheaper stuff was just as good do you not think they would use it and save thousands of pounds a year?

And if you buy cheap off Ebay make sure its still in date. And use the Sikaflex primer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
O'learys do a Sikaflex type adhesive, I used it for sticking stuff to the roof, such as solar panels, and I can tell you from experience it is an absolute sod to get off (especially when you get blobs in the wrong places 'cause the cartridge gun got too energetic and kept spurting when you stopped!)

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I wouldn't bother with ventilation the way the Coronavirus is spreading { ha ha }

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
O'learys do a Sikaflex type adhesive, I used it for sticking stuff to the roof, such as solar panels, and I can tell you from experience it is an absolute sod to get off (especially when you get blobs in the wrong places 'cause the cartridge gun got too energetic and kept spurting when you stopped!)
Thats what the pressure release tab at the back is for ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thats what the pressure release tab at the back is for ?
No! :Eeek: Really? o_O Well, I'd never ever have guessed that .... :wink:

The problem is that after pressing the trigger sometimes the pressure release tab at the end jams ... I really need a new gun ... might have to drop hints for hubby to get me one for my birthday ... he's bought me chisels and power tools in the past ... and I don't mean irons and washing machines! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yeah im just concerned about when everything is shut up. I can leave the skylights cracked for ventilation, will that be enough?
I assume you're putting in drop vents? Also you could leave the seal out of one of the roof vents which would allow air ventilation.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No! :Eeek: Really? o_O Well, I'd never ever have guessed that .... :wink:

The problem is that after pressing the trigger sometimes the pressure release tab at the end jams ... I really need a new gun ... might have to drop hints for hubby to get me one for my birthday ... he's bought me chisels and power tools in the past ... and I don't mean irons and washing machines! :giggle:
Well ............ when you find one that works, and lasts more than ten minutes, please let me know. I've had half a dozen of the damn things over the years & they've all been rubbish.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Yes will have drop vents in for sure. Im going all out on safety. Every kind of alarm, fire extinguisher and blanket, escape rope, air rifle, flare, superglue and phone with mum on speed dial!!

I was more thinking condensation that hot weather. If its hot i wont be inside!

Worried about our damp climate and my hot breath. Do not want any condensation or mould. Its my biggest worry.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Have got one of the spinning vents you linked to? Concerned about noise ?
I installed a similar vent to the toilet room area of my PVC, had to remove due to the constant noise it creates, does a great job at circulating air but way too noisy

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There is a reason why airline and yacht manufacturers use Sikaflex and not some cheap version, indeed watch the how a Morello is built video and you'll see boxes of Sikaflex on at least five occasions, if the cheaper stuff was just as good do you not think they would use it and save thousands of pounds a year?

And if you buy cheap off Ebay make sure its still in date. And use the Sikaflex primer.

My neighbour prepares the body shells for the racing Bentlys and they use Tigerseal PU adhesive, available from lots of motor factors, half the price of Sika and no evidence of bits flying off at Le Mans, plus we don't know what price the likes of Morello are paying for a tube, it's probably a fraction of what it costs Joe public ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes will have drop vents in for sure. Im going all out on safety. Every kind of alarm, fire extinguisher and blanket, escape rope, air rifle, flare, superglue and phone with mum on speed dial!!

I was more thinking condensation that hot weather. If its hot i wont be inside!

Worried about our damp climate and my hot breath. Do not want any condensation or mould. Its my biggest worry.
You've missed the most important item known to motorhomers ... GAFFER (DUCT) TAPE! :Grin:

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
My neighbour prepares the body shells for the racing Bentlys and they use Tigerseal PU adhesive, available from lots of motor factors, half the price of Sika and no evidence of bits flying off at Le Mans, plus we don't know what price the likes of Morello are paying for a tube, it's probably a fraction of what it costs Joe public ?
Yeah that and they have the same mark up on everything they use so using the expensive stuff means more money. Almost every bodyshop i've worked in does this.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The cost of one or two tubes of Sika are an extremely small part of the build. I will always use Sika because of it's reputation. Saving a few quid on an alternative is a bigger risk than I am prepared to take.
I will always use sika.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back