The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (3 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Also. What do you mean "balanced flue"..... It's my lack of knowledge in these areas that scares me ?
A balanced flue takes in the combustion air from outside the vehicle and exhaust outside the vehicle.
An unbalanced flue (if that is the term) takes it combustion gas from inside the vehicle burns it and send the exhaust outside.

This may not sound an important difference. But if your flue gets partially clogged combustion gases can end up inside the vehicle. If there is a back fire which does happen in LPG appliances then it can shoot flames and combustion gases inside the vehicle.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
When I was looking into this I remember reading about the importance of room sealed. I never heard it mentioned as a balanced flue.

Im with you ?.

Also I've got a massive multiplus to play with, I have no fear of mains power muhahah ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When I was looking into this I remember reading about the importance of room sealed. I never heard it mentioned as a balanced flue.

Im with you ?.

Also I've got a massive multiplus to play with, I have no fear of mains power muhahah ?
Yup, until the middle of winter when you have no reliable solar for days/weeks at a time :(

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wow! I can't decide whether this is a story about madness or tenacity.

I think its great that people do these things but he's let this take over his life yet he's never driven it or anything like it, has he even seen it?

The spice company is going and seems to back up the rest of it so I guess one of us could enquire? I'm scared that if I do I don't want to end up owning it:LOL:

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Brought a few more goodies. Going to install this lot and the tanks at the weekend..... It's her birthday Saturday, what a treat she's in for.
IMG_20200123_185024.jpg
IMG_20200123_190140.jpg
Does anyone know why the accumulator tank is a danger to my testicles?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
i did know that i should have put one of these...:rofl: as it was a failed attempt by me at being funny..:doh::doh:
I'm the one who should apologise - been doing some serious work all afternoon and just took the comment at face value - Doh!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just caught up with this thread.

I looked at the room sealed instant water heaters mentioned and spoke to the manufacturers. All told me they are not suitable for a vehicle that moves.

Of course up to you what you fit, just pointing out what I was told. I fitted the iMass - be good to be able to use it in a few weeks :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The cancer risk will be because they are for sale in California, everything is a risk in their eyes.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Bit of an update, we've made the raised floor structure. Each cubby hole has its own purpose.
IMG-20200126-WA0054.jpg

We've also brought some cheap lino to go underneath it. It will not be visible but does the job we need it to. The two 125litre water tanks that will be linked together, slot in at the front.
IMG-20200126-WA0055.jpg

But I spoke to the company and had them made specially to fit in..... They are completely wrong. They have a channel at the bottom and the outlets are in the wrong place ? They were supposed to be aligned... But as you can see, very much on the wonk. Not happy
IMG_20200126_140115.jpg

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Love the windows, you’re certainly cracking on! Our SIL bought a VW Transporter van earlier in the year and made a very good job of converting it. We have already had a couple of trips away with them, together with his parents. Good fun.
Interested to know what materials you will be using for the walls.
Bet you can’t wait till it’s finished - how long do you think it is likely to take?
BeJASUS, SIX of ya Inna VDubya Transporter,,, COSY! ?

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
I was looking at this product but its too small for my needs, If anyone is interested in it for £500 drop me a pm. They are £1600.
Central heating Compact 3020 HE

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi Mangoforth, Have you looked at the Truma range? Im looking at the Truma Aquaflo but don't seem to be able to source one in the UK.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hi Mangoforth, Have you looked at the Truma range? Im looking at the Truma Aquaflo but don't seem to be able to source one in the UK.
You could probably source one thru RV repair shops in UK , as they are importing US components all the time , you might need a sit down when you get price . . Have you looked at Imass .

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
You could probably source one thru RV repair shops in UK , as they are importing US components all the time , you might need a sit down when you get price . . Have you looked at Imass .
Ive looked at the Imass and will probably end up buying one if I cant get the Aquago, I like the Truma product as its got a good support base and its a tried and tested product. Ive never heard of Imass, Although it is German so should be pretty reliable.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Floor joists a bit heavy duty ? Can you not make good use of a say 100MM hole saw ? just thinking add lightness :)
I need heavy duty. I'm 21 stone and this will be walked on all the time. Im getting it weighed next week so l make adjustments of needed.

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Ive looked at the Imass and will probably end up buying one if I cant get the Aquago, I like the Truma product as its got a good support base and its a tried and tested product. Ive never heard of Imass, Although it is German so should be pretty reliable.
Answer from Truma, Looks like ill have to go Imass.
They are only available in the US as they amount of gas pressure they use is many times more than we are allowed to use here in the UK.

Kind regards

Mikaela Downes
Customer Services Advisor

Please note my working hours are Mon-Weds 8.30-4pm

Please take 2 minutes to answer our Customer Service feedback survey. Thank you!
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TrumaSurvey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Your the one driving a Unimog :)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just found this thread. What a great plan. I am amazed. Wish I had your talents. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It is so horrible having to rely on other people to do jobs for you as you just don't know what they have done to your pride and joy. I stupidly left my van with a local company to put solar and inverters in. They also store my vehicle. I feel let down.
Look at this picture for example. This is how my rooftop looks like after solar panels fitted. I don't know if there are holes drilled under this mess. Or whether the mess is just to hold down the cables.
The boss is back today and I just don't know how to approach him, or even what to say to him. Headlight broke whilst there as well.
View attachment 327116

If I had skills I wouldn't trust my pride and joy to these cowboys.
I'll tell you what to say to the boss Lesleyjean: tell Im that mess on your roof is totally unacceptable and you're not paying good money for crap work!
Hopefully you haven't parted with any money?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back