leaving engine idling..? (3 Viewers)

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Starting and leaving a diesel engine ticking over from cold it will never obtain full operating temperature or take a very long time, not only will it cause bore glazing but will also wreck the CAT & DPF. Can't remember who it was now but one Funster found out just how expensive it was.

Ice cream van is not idling from cold, it's been driven to the parking spot and the engine is up to temperature.
So if you want to leave your engine idling to charge the battery take the van for a 20 mile drive first.:xgrin:
But I will loose my free place !???

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi.
Reading the bit about what NOT to do with the "Auto box" on our Ducato PVC, (Ticking over for prolonged periods ) i am scared if i have to wait at Traffic lights for long. I wonder why they ever let it be fitted,heaven forbid we get caught up on the M/way in a queue for an hour in mid winter . Metals not like Skin,it cannot mend itself.
Tea Bag

That's the reason for the advice to turn off your engine whilst standing in traffic and why modern cars are being fitted with automatic stop/start systems. (Travelled in one of those once in quite heavy traffic - it would have driven me nuts!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
. (Travelled in one of those once in quite heavy traffic - it would have driven me nuts!)
Thought mine would and the ECU agrees with me.
It's decided the knackered AGM battery doesn't have the power to start so cancels stop start.
Starts fine on the key and if I stall it the clutch start works fine too.
But it's nice having the choice myself to turn off or not

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Use a solar panel: split the charge between the leisure and the engine battery. I think we have 20% to the engine. Environmentally neat solution.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've noticed a few motor homes that are off site starting their engines up and leaving them idling...I inquired why and was told to boost their leisure battery and was also told it's ok as long as it's not over 20 mins,,is this correct?,,I'm no expert but I thought it would it damage the engine?...
Having worked in warehousing for years I think I've encountered maybe 1 or 2 hgv lorries that ever turned their engines off while getting loaded , the engine sat idling isnt doing anything different from when it's been driven except it's not under load.

Yes it perhaps contributes a bot of pollution but in a country that produces 2% of world pollution yet pays a lot of tax towards it I wont lose any sleep if I need to charge my batteries.

While big constant polluters continue to do what they do running an engine for 20 minutes while stationary or not has small impact.

A generator wouldn't be much better.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
B
Having worked in warehousing for years I think I've encountered maybe 1 or 2 hgv lorries that ever turned their engines off while getting loaded , the engine sat idling isnt doing anything different from when it's been driven except it's not under load.

Yes it perhaps contributes a bot of pollution but in a country that produces 2% of world pollution yet pays a lot of tax towards it I wont lose any sleep if I need to charge my batteries.

While big constant polluters continue to do what they do running an engine for 20 minutes while stationary or not has small impact.

A generator wouldn't be much better.
ut why leave them running in the first place? i've never understood that.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Starting and leaving a diesel engine ticking over from cold it will never obtain full operating temperature or take a very long time, not only will it cause bore glazing but will also wreck the CAT & DPF. Can't remember who it was now but one Funster found out just how expensive it was.

Ice cream van is not idling from cold, it's been driven to the parking spot and the engine is up to temperature.
So if you want to leave your engine idling to charge the battery take the van for a 20 mile drive first.:xgrin:
The benefit of older Van's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is not a political post,, the NHS is not for sale...although it may be on Friday,,, ?....l would suggest you invest in NHS shares immediately,,, when you cash in you could then afford a large generator on a trailer,, ? ? ?...
It most definitely is

Just not as a whole item

Kind of like saying my car isnt for sale

But I'm breaking it for spares ?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
(Travelled in one of those once in quite heavy traffic - it would have driven me nuts!)
It does, But we have the means to switch it off. So long as I remember, as every time you stop and remove the key it resets it`s self.!!. However, There is a Switch on the Bonnet lid. which allows the engine to be continuously run (if left open). This is so the techies can work on the Engine without it cutting out. What you do is remove the switch, and tape it out of the way. It never works again! Result!!. :xrofl:

As for running engines, continuously. We ran them for weeks on end as Generators. Some where running 6000rpm. Issues mostly where related to vibration, and fuel leaks. but so long as they had regular oil/filter changes they ran for thousands of hours. On one ship, we had 6 Rolls Royce Diesels, they ran and ran, we just swapped them out to service them.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
It is wise to run a Diesel or Petrol Engine for 30 seconds to a minute without revving it, before moving off, this will avoid *Piston weld * this is a process where if you rev the engine too much when engine is cold the Alloy Piston scrapes the side of the Cylinder wall the creates "scores" on the Piston that that moves tiny Piston alloy Particles and jams the Piston Rings , then you start burning oil and lose engine performance at the least.
Sorry cannot explain it better, it's a lot of years since I went on a Manufactuers Piston Course ,
In short don't Rev your Engine from Cold!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This only applies to the very few, who have lithium leisure batteries fitted. At idling and low engine speeds the lithium battery draws a higher current than a lead-acid/Gel/AGM, and this can lead to the alternator overheating, even burning out.

I didn't listen to the audio so maybe there was an explanation as to why the alternator cooling fan had been removed?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
:? What do you gain by defeating auto stop?
I miss my next car not having auto stop but then I will turn my engine off at a railway barrier and other occasions when I'll be stationary for much over 15s.

And the nearest I get to idling an engine is while it is on as I walk around the vehicle removing snow & ice (unheated windows 1st, then the rear & finally front).

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well it depends on how long one expects one's batteries to last when parked.

We have a B2B, so after a 20-30 min. drive we would expect to be able to last 3 days.

I think we have never beeen stationary longer, but if we were it would not need long to re-charge if we put a block on the accelerator for 1000 rpm.

Also unlikely to annoy neighbours if we are wildcamping, or do it on an Aire when most people are away in the day -asking the neighbours nicely. If they object just move on.

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I miss my next car not having auto stop but then I will turn my engine off at a railway barrier and other occasions when I'll be stationary for much over 15s.

And the nearest I get to idling an engine is while it is on as I walk around the vehicle removing snow & ice (unheated windows 1st, then the rear & finally front).
You use more fuel stopping and starting than leaving it running. Also puts more wear on the starter.

I always thought it was a stupid invention

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I can do breast screening .... not qualified but I'll give it a go ....how hard can it be ..... oh bugger ...... 'er indoors can read this .... GULP!!!!
i applied aparently you need qualifications i even offered to do it free

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It's no more polluting than running a generator.
Do these that criticise use their cars for journies less than 3 miles? I don't on principle and walking does you good.BUSBY.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I gain on not having to pay out on Starter ring repairs. Being an Old Fart,and only having it on the car over here that rarely gets used... Over the years, on all the vehicles i have driven,the engine kept running until the key was switched off ,so there am i sitting in the car at traffic lights/zebra X's/junctions etc and realise the engine is off. This is where my..Lightning speed reactions come into play.. :xrofl: Clutch ,Key or Key Clutch... 1.I then get a scrunching noise to say the starter motor is fighting the flywheel. 2. I blaspheme,the people who built my/our Dacia Logan MCV in Romania hear this and fall about laughing. 3. OVERIDE it...Sorted. So,its an Age thing,coupled with not reading the owners manual,and having to get the S.I.L. to. A. Find it and B. read it and get it sorted. He has just "Re set " the TPMS. i DID find the Manual................ But its all in....... Portuguese.......DOH !!!:xeek:
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Well before night/cab heaters it gets quite cold in a truck cab whilst you are waiting to load..BUSBY.
Hi busby.
And if it was a "Gardner 180 ":xrofl: You could leave it running for a YEAR under load or idling,and the B&*%(£RD thing would STILL be COLD !! Happy days.:love::love::xThumb:
Tea Bag

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You use more fuel stopping and starting than leaving it running. Also puts more wear on the starter.

I always thought it was a stupid invention
Never heard that before, the whole point is to reduce fuel consumption and pollution.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi busby.
And if it was a "Gardner 180 ":xrofl: You could leave it running for a YEAR under load or idling,and the B&*%(£RD thing would STILL be COLD !! Happy days.:love::love::xThumb:
Tea Bag
Didn't get warm even when pulling in the winter but come summer cabs were like a sauna, ,No compromise,,??BUSBY

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Never heard that before, the whole point is to reduce fuel consumption and pollution.
The whole point was to reduce emissions in European Emission tests for Vehicle Excise Licence,,Big con,,,doesn't work in the real world.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back