What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Spotted an internal vertical wooden/coated trim was showing signs of swelling from water ingress. I was convinced it must be the large Heki roof light but thankfully decided to look at the shower PMK rooflight...... As my mother would say.. "did they throw that sealant on from Blackpool Tower?". It was rather thin and a quick call to Crowland Caravans near Peterborough secured me a new one.... But still had to go to B&Q for screws!

Might be brave and update the over cab one now as it is s similar age (but not cracked and leaking like the shower one).

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK the continuing story of lighting upgrade to Maxine

We decided that the wardrobes were just black holes
and the light over the cooker was annoying the way the bulb kept dropping out without being shaken, rattled or anything else

So Ebay was employed to provide 5m of 12v LED strip that was waterproof ( These
)

So strips of 2 feet installed into each wardrobe with micro-switches on the door frames so opening the doors illuminated the space
Lunar Roadstar 800 (64).jpg

Then the kitchen was attacked, the light fitting removed and the wiring isolated so only the switch worked
then a flat wire run across the cupboard, to strips of LEDS under the two cupboards and under the microwave

Lunar Roadstar 800 (66).jpg

The sttrips are bright white so appear blue in the phone camera but considering the LED's are the only light on in the van they provide good illumination

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Finally got around to fitting the Thetford toilet we bought months ago (not new but very good condition)
Chickened out of fittig the whole thing, used the original pedestal everything else swapped over.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Today we have mostly been drying out the damp ceiling boards following our disappointing discovery of water ingressing through the factory fitted roof rail mounting points. The silicone had perished and the screws were doing a damn fine job of letting the water seep through constantly :( Hopefully on the right path to a dry interior again :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Today we have mostly been drying out the damp ceiling boards following our disappointing discovery of water ingressing through the factory fitted roof rail mounting points. The silicone had perished and the screws were doing a damn fine job of letting the water seep through constantly :( Hopefully on the right path to a dry interior again :)
hopefully not silicone as its as effective on a motoehome as a chocolate fire guard. use urethane sealant like sikaflex or puraflex

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
TheBig1 .... our guy used a polyurethane sealant/adhesive stuff which he said is the bees knees and dogs dangly doo-dahs for resolving these kind of scenarios. I had bought a tube of Sikaflex but he wasn't wanting to use it :X3:

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Oh SH.......................

Just reversing onto the drive after returning from Cheltenham and the Diesel Fuel Filter decides to squirt diesel all over the engine bay and drive

So a quick visit to YouTube and we know what to do BUT don't have the tools
So a few visits to car parts outlets and tool shops got almost everything we need

EXCEPT the special tool to open and tighten the fuel filter outer casing we have visited every car place between Clay Cross and Chesterfield (The North side) and no-one stocks one so working out a method to do it without

Will see what tomorrow brings

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
TheBig1 .... our guy used a polyurethane sealant/adhesive stuff which he said is the bees knees and dogs dangly doo-dahs for resolving these kind of scenarios. I had bought a tube of Sikaflex but he wasn't wanting to use it :X3:
sikaflex is a polyurethane sealant, chemically identical to the stuff used in the trade and puraflex40 from toolstation. exactly the right stuff to use to seal a leak permanently

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Just reversing onto the drive after returning from Cheltenham and the Diesel Fuel Filter decides to squirt diesel all over the engine bay and drive

So a quick visit to YouTube and we know what to do BUT don't have the tools
So a few visits to car parts outlets and tool shops got almost everything we need

EXCEPT the special tool to open and tighten the fuel filter outer casing we have visited every car place between Clay Cross and Chesterfield (The North side) and no-one stocks one so working out a method to do it without

the tool, which you clamp in a vice and use a torque wrench with is about £20 on eBay. If you were local you could borrow mine

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Running repair on the Dometic fridge selector switch. Just turned it on gas and it just spun round.
Pulled the selector out and the end had cracked off.
Stripped the fascia back and the retrieved the broken piece. It is the flat piece inside the end of the tube.
Managed a temporary repair with electrical tape holding the piece in place. Will araldite it back when I get a chance.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
last night fixed the very cold interior of my doblo, despite a fan heater it was freezing inside.
Closed the drivers door which i had left open, it was dark and my curtains were round and it was before my GnT :rofl:
Today much better, but the new fan heater is either off or on, thermostat isn't kicking in like it did on my other. think i will give this to family and get my old one back. No forget that it goes back to the shop when I get home.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Fitted a new Air bag ECU after the dreaded red light air bag light came on again. The last time it was reset by Fiat Professional when we had our MOT in July with no fault found.
This time I thought I’d do it myself and buy a OBD11 scanner which resulted in ‘no connection’ a sure fire sign it’s had it.
Sent it off to Crash Data in Liverpool who confirmed internal corrosion, can’t be repaired.
£300 for a new one.
Not sure what the Fiat price would have been.
Unfortunately our Hymer 668SL has developed a similar problem with the airbag light .. could you please let me know which OBD reader you have.

When you replaced the module did it require any programing and did it extinguish the warning light?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Unfortunately our Hymer 668SL has developed a similar problem with the airbag light .. could you please let me know which OBD reader you have.

When you replaced the module did it require any programing and did it extinguish the warning light?
I bought a Foxwell NT680 but unfortunately it was a waste of money because the air bag ECU was dead and therefore it wouldn’t connect.
There are loads of alternatives to the Foxwell I bought, and a lot cheaper.
Crashdata were very good, I just removed our ECU after disconnecting the battery negative lead, just a 10mm socket needed, sent it off in the post to them.
I was hoping it could be repaired, about £80, but no, it had internal corrosion, so knackered. The replacement was programmed by them so I just reconnected the new one, about 5 minutes and all was well again, though £300 lighter.

Last edited:

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Blew the motor in the hob extractor fan (might have involved a very hot frying pan and a big dollop of water forming a Hiroshima sized steam cloud :oops:), replacement complete unit was £250ish.....pulled it apart and bought the biggest huffy puffy silent computer fan I could find on the bay of fleas - £4.89

Result!

Jim

PS now moves more air and is near Silent as well!

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
fixed satellite dome luckily van is parked by side of the house when I glanced out of landing window noticed screw holes around bottom of dome had no screws in them later managed to get on the van roof to discover only two loose screws holding it on the other eight had fallen out.
I knew the Irish roads were rough but I didn't think they were that bad :oops:

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Well I have everything and have the filter on my workbench.
Can someone please tell me what this connector is for
IMG_20191122_094552.jpg

I didn't detach any hose from it - should there be anything coming from it, what does it do

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Well I have everything and have the filter on my workbench.
Can someone please tell me what this connector is for View attachment 347563
I didn't detach any hose from it - should there be anything coming from it, what does it do

Hi Madcaravanner

Its a drain for the filter , on the other side is a plug with a flat blade screw head , so you can remove water from filter if needed and empty , when I change mine I attach a hose to bottom and empty filter into container before taking our van to minimise spillage.

Daniel.

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hi Madcaravanner

Its a drain for the filter , on the other side is a plug with a flat blade screw head , so you can remove water from filter if needed and empty , when I change mine I attach a hose to bottom and empty filter into container before taking our van to minimise spillage.

Daniel.
Thanks Daniel starting to get worried that there was something missing
Just reassembling now

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Anyone seeing this forum would think that our vans are in constant need or repairs. Even the new ones. I must admit I dread the day that I have to get the toolbox out. It makes me wonder should I have bought a van or just carried on with package holidays. This might be because I have the winter blues.

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Anyone seeing this forum would think that our vans are in constant need or repairs. Even the new ones. I must admit I dread the day that I have to get the toolbox out. It makes me wonder should I have bought a van or just carried on with package holidays. This might be because I have the winter blues.
The older the van the more it needs tlc, but a lot of the work I've done before has been improvements, this is the first repair in 3 years and that's because I don't trust many garages to do the work properly

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Perhaps I should take an engineering course
This is the first time I have been under a bonnet, and without YouTube I wouldn't have even attempted this, and it was bloomin easy engine ticking over nicely and no leaks, the filter housing locking ring was loose, so it could have gone anywhere thank goodness it was on the driveway

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
I fixed the electrical fault on the x250 Ducato this morning. I had to be recovered by Eurotow to home last night, having lost power in the motorhome going home. The Ducato would not start but it turned over. Logging on to the ECU via torque pro revealed no connection. I had a look at the fuse board in the engine bay. The 50A fuse F02 was good but fuses F11 F22 and F17 showed a fluctuating 7-9V.......l changed 30A relay T09 and hey presto the volts went back up to 12.5V. The engine started fine.

If you own a X250 buy a couple of (black) 20A and (red) 30A relays because if your motorhome is 11 years old..... You are going to need them.

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
... steering lock failed ? ... with the help of a great mobile mechanic managed to extract and replace for only £60 (labour and parts - complete unit) ?.

But now have to use the new key to start whilst holding my old one near the transponder ring to start it which is interesting.

Struggling to find someone who can make a new key - even Timpsons don’t have Fiat/Peugeot compatible blanks let alone the ability to clone the transponder unit for my 2003 Symbol. They did say they could do it by post for £200 per key ?.

Apparently main dealer wants proof of ownership and I’m not near where that’s kept at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back