What have you fixed on your motorhome this week?

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
Brought my van back , for mot preparation and test . Only had three faults to deal with , but one was a major mot issue ;
  • Wipers not self parking , (instant mot failure)
  • Dim side marker light ,
  • Wheel bearing had slight play (advisory from last year) .
I also wanted to clean and regrease the front caliper slider pins , as well as fit new bespokely cut mudflaps . The plan was then to service the van , and layup for the winter .

With the van back , work began ;
  • Wipers turned out to be a relay , interesting , as the circuit diagram suggested there wasn't any , i actually found two . Sourcing the duff one also proved interesting , until i discovered which other vehicles also used this specific relay .
  • Marker light was actually a bulb . I suspected a bad earth following a similar fault with another marker earlier in the year . This bulb was on the verge of blowing and was broken anyway ,
  • Front slider pins speak for themselves . Dismantled and dropped into my ultrasonic cleaner , while i pressure washed the wheel arch and topped the underseal up , after inspection .
These complete , i began to dismantle the rear wheels to deal with the rear bearings , and now it got really interesting . Drum off , i discovered a damp patch on the bearing hub . Closer investigation revealed the wheel cylinder was weeping , on a 20 year old motor this could be a problem , and it was ;
  • New wheel cylinders ,
  • New brake shoes ,
  • New fitting kits ,
  • New adjusters ,
  • Brake pipes all replaced from the fuel tank back ,
  • New flexible hose ,
  • New brake pressure valve ,
  • Complete brake fluid change , and
  • A complete overhaul of both handbrake adjusters ,
The rear brakes are now completely overhauled . Many of the brake pipes and the pressure valve didn't actually require replacement , however corrosion forced the issue , i had to cut bits off . My brake circuits , are split front and rear , so Fiat fitted an equal tee on the back axle , this is the only original part left other than the drums and back plates . I did actually replace this part at first , but i was left with a leak , i couldn't stop . Turned out , it was a part peculiar to Fiat and different to what's normally available . They can still be sourced but only from Fiat , and at a price , in packs of 5 . 120 quid against 4 quid locally , yeah right .
Anyway complete change of brake fluid and mot passed with no advisories . I changed the oil and fitted a new filter after running a flushing oil through the motor . Washed the van down , though you wouldn't know it , after i drove it back to storage . The mudflaps have been delayed till next year due to the extra workload , i had imposed on me with the brakes.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brought my van back , for mot preparation and test . Only had three faults to deal with , but one was a major mot issue ;
  • Wipers not self parking , (instant mot failure)
  • Dim side marker light ,
  • Wheel bearing had slight play (advisory from last year) .
I also wanted to clean and regrease the front caliper slider pins , as well as fit new bespokely cut mudflaps . The plan was then to service the van , and layup for the winter .

With the van back , work began ;
  • Wipers turned out to be a relay , interesting , as the circuit diagram suggested there wasn't any , i actually found two . Sourcing the duff one also proved interesting , until i discovered which other vehicles also used this specific relay .
I would interested in which base Fiat your B584 is on and which relay you changed as I have the problem of intermittent not working on my 2001 B584.
cheers

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
10000 miles and 300 nights in 3 years
Oh SH.......................

Just reversing onto the drive after returning from Cheltenham and the Diesel Fuel Filter decides to squirt diesel all over the engine bay and drive

So a quick visit to YouTube and we know what to do BUT don't have the tools
So a few visits to car parts outlets and tool shops got almost everything we need

EXCEPT the special tool to open and tighten the fuel filter outer casing we have visited every car place between Clay Cross and Chesterfield (The North side) and no-one stocks one so working out a method to do it without

Will see what tomorrow brings

All parts and tools now in hand
Filter disassembled very easily ( ie the top seal ring wasn't tight undid far too easy with a small ratchet handle)
filter body cleaned ,a new filter inserted and reassembled
Headlight removed filter refitted headlamp refitted

Engine run after filter bled of air no problem

Today I've restarted the engine to move Maxine and clean all the diesel off the drive

Job DONE first major mechanical repair I've EVER done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
south oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 classic
Exp
Hi mate , it''s a 2000 Fiat 2.8 idtd , model 230 - 14q . The relays are on the firewall between the heater coolant feeds / bleeder and the brake master cylinder . The wiring take you straight there from the motor . There are two , a standard 4 pin which any local motorist centre should stock , and another nearly twice the height with 6 pins .
This was the one i replaced , problem being all the markings had rubbed off . So i had nothing to work with for testing or ordering . I could find nothing wrong with the 4 pin when i tested it , so i left it be .

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Fitting a 8KW Chinese Diesel Heater, 260W solar Panel and a new Mini Heki Skylight upgrade to someone's Sprinter Conversion this week.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Looks like somebody else likes the ladder too....
View attachment 349831
that reminds me of a few years back, I was working on a single story roof. turned round and my staffy had followed me up the ladder and was happily wandering round the roof taking a good look at everything. when I was done I had to put her on my shoulder and carry her down the ladder

Apr 6, 2019
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
C Class?
Exp
1999 Autocruise Impala, bought 2019
Fitting a 8KW Chinese Diesel Heater, 260W solar Panel and a new Mini Heki Skylight upgrade to someone's Sprinter Conversion this week.
I am sure other people too would like to know about the diesel heater noise and amps drawn on startup (the only downsides I have read about?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy Girl

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i-138
Exp
Since 1996 we've had Elddis, Swift, Rapido, Rimor, Chausson MHs and Autocruise & Globecar PVCs
that reminds me of a few years back, I was working on a single story roof. turned round and my staffy had followed me up the ladder and was happily wandering round the roof taking a good look at everything. when I was done I had to put her on my shoulder and carry her down the ladder
One of our previous dogs climbed the ladder to the roof of our bungalow then proceeded up the tiles and walked along the ridge towards hubby ... she could also climb the army type rope netting (wide squares) stuff you get on assault courses! Another could climb a normal ladder into the attic AND come down it again!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Started in 1980
In the middle of fitting new batteries, extra solar and replacing a cracked shower tray.
Although I could have got away with a repair on the shower tray (3 cracks)
one of the drain outlet traps ( centre screw thread socket snapped) was broken.
Lovely how motorhome manufacturers fit the shower tray with no access to get at it.
Have managed to source a shower tray on eBay.
This one is a major job.
9C1BA0EA-30D3-4F70-BB4F-1C7F800A1734.jpegCE13579F-7154-4517-B338-7D8EE57F1A07.jpeg8B589BC8-7E68-4588-A234-0AB72DE2C659.jpeg

SMC Motorhomes Newark
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers