What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well, not sure I've actually fixed anything but got a few jobs done whilst the weather was dry:-

Fridge not working very well so removed it (again) turned it upside down and left for a bit then refitted. Works okay, will see if it's improved it (on gas it was running all the time).

Cooker and it's unit starting to pull away from the wall, pathetic fixings. Pushed (well thumped hard) it back into position, renewed some of the screws and fitted brackets and corner blocks to help prevent it moving again. Really rubbish building methods but it is now over 12 years old and we've done 110,000 miles, a lot of it on Moroccan roads!

Up on roof found source of minor water leak - the sealing strip between cab and body coming away. It really needs completely removing but for the moment used some Hodgsons flexible sealant. Checked all round with a damp meter and all seems to be okay. I'll ask Dave to check again on it's habitation service next month.

A thorough wash with attention to the plastic locker surrounds with a piece of Magic Eraser - has come up lovely. Coat of polish next week hopefully as I ran out of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Well been busy since returning from the Goth Rally at Whitby

First the electric step needed sorting out as it stuck out - the switch was stuck
The Fiamma Safe lock on the hab door barrel broke - - so ordered one yesterday from Johns Cross using Funster discount code it arrived this morning and fitted it in 10 minutes
The water tank filler came apart with half of it jammed in the cap - went to our local accessories shop this morning whilst it took longer than 10 minutes the new one is fitted and seated in new mastic.

On my usual walk round noticed that the cycle rack bracket top covers had worked loose again so 2 small spots of non setting mastic on each and a light tap with Timmy Mallet hopefully will sort them out

So in all another £40 ish spent to keep Maxine on the road all ready for our next trip in 15 days time

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When I installed our underslung LPG tank I fitted and additional shut off valve in the gas line just before the pipework tee-ed off to the appliances and the BBQ outlet to save me crawling under to the centre of the van to get to the shut off valve on the tank in the mud and the rain, but this additional shut off valve is still a stretch to reach so I have made life easier for myself by making and fitting quadrant to the shut off valve and a rod and handle to operate it by just sticking my hand under the side of the van.
The elastic band is to help stop the rod from twanging around when driving.

1572454919281.png

1572454962966.png

The Simpsons

Free Member
Jul 29, 2019
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie ex caravan
Fixed the electric step, well straightened following a disagreement with a rock. Ended up servicing it and sealing it to minimise road debris etc getting in. Operates silently now.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I installed our underslung LPG tank I fitted and additional shut off valve in the gas line just before the pipework tee-ed off to the appliances and the BBQ outlet to save me crawling under to the centre of the van to get to the shut off valve on the tank in the mud and the rain, but this additional shut off valve is still a stretch to reach so I have made life easier for myself by making and fitting quadrant to the shut off valve and a rod and handle to operate it by just sticking my hand under the side of the van.

View attachment 342480

View attachment 342481
Could I be nosey and ask what are all the flasks for, is it a nuclear reactor or something.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Could I be nosey and ask what are all the flasks for, is it a nuclear reactor or something.

They contain top up's of engine oil, anti-freeze, loo freshener and the like which I don't need to have to hand but don't want to travel without.
They were taking up good useable space in a locker that is on the rear overhang and weighing in at 8.5kg, so to reduce weight on the overhang and gain space I made a holder for them and relocated them to the front of the van where we can add plenty to front axle loading.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp

View attachment 342480

View attachment 342481
Think I will do the same a good friend made me one?.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

View attachment 342480

View attachment 342481
Paul, what are those row of 6 white cylinders for?
Edit Bugger should have read further - Manic beat me to it

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Not a fix, but a job to put in something that should have been there in the first place.
We have just purchased a sheet of stainless steel to put at the side of the cooker as a "splashback" because when cooking it is very difficult to keep the wooden surface clean.
Once completed will photo the effect

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Nothing intending to be fixed but everything, including gas bottles, taken out of the van ready for its first “contrôle étanchéité” on Wednesday. (the yearly water ingress and body tightness check)
I didn’t realise how much stuff we carry around before we put in any clothes!
While emptying the drawers, I noticed one of the soft close catches was a bit loose, so I tightened the screws a bit.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Doing same as Allanm ... emptied all the lockers and drawers in van today in preparation for hab check next month (next few weekends are report writing and trip to Germany so thought I’d get ahead). Also lets me do a proper clean ... and decide whether to repack the things we’ve not used yet ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not fixed but after spending a couple of weeks sorting our new Carthago out, making hab seat covers etc, I got to the point of having to deciding where stuff was gonna 'live' then moving it again to somewhere else which will be 'better'. :doh:

It was so easy when we changed from one Globecar to another as most of the stuff went in the same place as previously but with the Carthago it's a different matter despite it having a similar layout ... it's doing my head in! :rolleyes:

Gawd I hate packing! :oops:

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Not a fix, but a job to put in something that should have been there in the first place.
We have just purchased a sheet of stainless steel to put at the side of the cooker as a "splashback" because when cooking it is very difficult to keep the wooden surface clean.
Once completed will photo the effect

Stainless steel arrived today as I was in the motorhome fitting wiring harnesses in the wardrobes for LED lighting (when they arrive) the "tres idiot" of a Hermes driver ignored the open motorhome door and loud music , left a card in the door to say "Sorry I missed you" and put the steel under the rear of the motorhome !!!!!!!!

Lunar Roadstar 800 (8).jpg

This is the cooker before note the nice wooden finish and fat splashes that will not come out
Lunar Roadstar 800 (19).jpg

The steel arrived complete with rough edges and sharp corners so a few minutes with angle grinder,file and Emery cloth got rid of them
Lunar Roadstar 800 (20).jpg

this is the sheet set-up with a thin square of wood to support it (the pegs are holding that firm)
The steel has now been bonded to the wood with a heat resistant Epoxy which sets in 1 hour but requires 24 hours for a full cure so
Lunar Roadstar 800 (21).jpg

This is how it now sits to ensure it stays in place

and will be a lot easier to clean than the porus wooden surface was
update tomorrow when all the supports are removed
IMG_20191105_160650.jpg

The epoxy has now set and supports removed but got to wait for the full curing time before we use the cooker - Oh yes and for the awful smell to go

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The epoxy has now set and supports removed but got to wait for the full curing time before we use the cooker - Oh yes and for the awful smell to go
How I remember the smell of glue and varnish in my self-build many years ago ... doing it over winter with a heater on as it was freezing outside and I needed to be able to feel my hands wasn't the best idea ... but I was VERY happy! ?

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

OK the bottle storage looks interesting - I read in another answer that these are your oil, coolant etc. storage
This would free up a lot of space inside our under settee storage
Q1 what is the retaining strap made of
Q2/ how big are the bottles and where are they from

The rest of the construction I can work out and in fact got most of the materials in the mancave/shed, I have quite a lot of nylon webbing and plastic clip joints so they could be used. Just the Aluminium sheet for the bracket I need to find from the recesses of the cave

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
OK the bottle storage looks interesting - I read in another answer that these are your oil, coolant etc. storage
This would free up a lot of space inside our under settee storage
Q1 what is the retaining strap made of
Q2/ how big are the bottles and where are they from

The rest of the construction I can work out and in fact got most of the materials in the mancave/shed, I have quite a lot of nylon webbing and plastic clip joints so they could be used. Just the Aluminium sheet for the bracket I need to find from the recesses of the cave

The retaining strap is an inch wide velcro jobby off of eBay which is cut in half and the cut ends pop riveted through a stainless steel penny washer and the strap to the back of the holder.

1573050766021.png
1573050789696.png

The bottles are 1 Litre and came again from eBay. The seller does do different capacities.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=302402469926

The tops of the bottles are held in place by plastic coated 32mm terry clip and the velcro strap is just to make sure the bottle do not escape on rough roads.

1573051219061.png

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Had the van 10 days now.
New tyres, to replace the previous 2002 models!
Oiled and used the door and locker locks, loosening up nicely now.
Took it to the garage to see if he can do anything about my leaf springs, they are completely flat! He is getting back to me......

Today I fit a new rooflight, the old one had seen better days and was leaking like a sieve.
The old cutout was 800 x 500 and the new heki needed 960 x 665 so I could cut a bit of damp away, but it'll need some fettling inside, it looked ok 'til I started butchering it!
IMG_20191101_080704.jpg
IMG_20191106_101421.jpg
IMG_20191106_120545.jpg
IMG_20191106_155204.jpg

An all on the daughters drive, in sunny Scotland while visiting......

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had the van 10 days now.
Took it to the garage to see if he can do anything about my leaf springs, they are completely flat! He is getting back to me......

Today I fit a new rooflight, the old one had seen better days and was leaking like a sieve.
The old cutout was 800 x 500 and the new heki needed 960 x 665 so I could cut a bit of damp away, but it'll need some fettling inside, it looked ok 'til I started butchering it!
View attachment 343950View attachment 343952View attachment 343953View attachment 343954
There is a firm in the midlands that make replacement and uprated leaf springs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had the van 10 days now.

View attachment 343950View attachment 343952View attachment 343953View attachment 343954
replacement coated ceiling and wall board is available from Magnums and O'learys

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Dazzlin
These may help ?

Took it to the garage to see if he can do anything about my leaf springs, they are completely flat! He is getting back to me....
If not from the above there are plenty of places in Spain that make them.I can think of 2 just around by me.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Replaced a sheared Habitation Step motor drive bolt and got soaked with rain in the process.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Replaced dometic 4110 toilet with a thetford 200cs fortunately a straight swap just found out thetford are or have withdrawn the 200 series

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Ta guys.
I would like to get it sorted and have a garage here in Sterling my daughter uses.
Hope it'll be a bit lighter when dried out but not that much.
Drove it 500 miles from picking it up and it was ok, didn't bottom out but a bit wallowy round corners! Front wheel bearing grating didn't help.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
replacement coated ceiling and wall board is available from Magnums and O'learys

Been to Magnum twice this week for supplies, O'leary trip is planned....

Re ceiling board, planning to use 3mm ply, lining paper and then paint it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back