Shetland Isles in Top 10 places to visit .. Lonely Planet (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Shetland Islands have been named among the top 10 best regions in the world to visit next year by an authoritative survey which lauded them as the “last untamed corner” of Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8101703/Shetland-Islands-among-best-places-to-visit-says-Lonely-Planet-guide.html

Top 10 regions for travel in 2011

1) Sinai, Egypt

2) Istria, Croatia

3) Marquesas Islands, South Pacific

4) Cappadocia, Turkey

5) Westfjords, Iceland

6) Shetland Islands, Scotland

7) Great Barrier Reef, Australia

8) West Coast, USA

9) Chilean Patagonia, Chile

10) Gili Islands, Indonesia

Top 10 countries to visit

1) Albania

2) Brazil

3) Cape Verde, Atlantic Ocean

4) Panama

5) Bulgaria

6) Vanuatu

7) Italy

8) Tanzania

9) Syria

10) Japan

Top 10 cities to visit

1) New York

2) Tangier, Morocco

3) Tel Aviv, Israel

4) Wellington, NZ

5) Valencia, Spain

6) Iquitos, Peru

7) Ghent, Belgium

8) New Delhi, India

9) Newcastle, Australia

10) Chiang Mai, Thailand

Source: Lonely Planet

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Top 10 cities to visit

1) New York

2) Tangier, Morocco

3) Tel Aviv, Israel

4) Wellington, NZ

5) Valencia, Spain

6) Iquitos, Peru

7) Ghent, Belgium

8) New Delhi, India

9) Newcastle, Australia

10) Chiang Mai, Thailand

Source: Lonely Planet

who'd hev thowt tha then

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What a surprise Albania being the best country to visit. It seems that we are doing something right!

BobT

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Don't forget that the Lonely Planet series of guides are aimed predominantly at "Merrycans"....................

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
And Strangely most of those places can be reached much quicker than the Shetlands. We went to Muckle Flugga and Unst in a VW camper a few years ago. Quite a journey

9 hours to Aberdeen
12 hours on the Ferry to Shetland which included getting drunk until 4 in the Morning whilst playing guitar with an REM Tribute band at the back of the ferry.
24 hours recovery on Shetland Mainland
Ferry Crossing to the Isle of Yell and drive across Yell 2 hours
Ferry Crossing to Unst and then getting lost trying to find the way to the most northely house in the UK and Muckle Flugga 3 hours.

Total time to get there. 50 hours!

Interesting place but dont take the van for a weekend.

My Avatar was taken on Orkney on the way back. the sign pointing at me says it all.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Don't talk to me about the Shetlands!

We used to get the ferry from Scrabster or Aberdeen to the Faroes until Smyril Line built/bought a new ship about 15 years ago and they agreed a deal with the Shetland Authorities to call into Lerwick en route to Bergen and Hanstholm.

As BarryD says, for us it was 10 hours to Aberdeen, overnight to Lerwick and a 20 hour wait for Norrona to arrive at 2 am for another 13 hours pleasure cruise, not.

I did kill a day there once with a spot of fly fishing but that was the only time in ten years it never rained or blew a gale on our day there.

Great place for fly fishing and very picturesque but even that gets tedious when the weather is so unkind - and that's in the summer! :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Just come back from Cape Verde a number 3 on the list. Nice weather. Not sure if suitable for motorhomes though due to size of island. In fact not even sure how Id get one there. Not unless I could post it air freight :Smile:. I flew to Sal island via Lisbon, Santiago, over Boa Vista to Sal. Nice properties though. I stayed at Tortuga Beach resort (all inclusive tee! hee!) which is run by Sol Melia hotel chain in a great 2 bed apartment.

They are building some new properties next door called Dunas and Llana Beach Resort. Id buy one for winter sun...but its just not the same without motorhome... Staying put for 7 days all inclusive is ok, but id rather be moving between resorts than staying put....

I wonder what island was number 3, or is it number 3 based on collection of islands....hmm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back