Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Been talking to a few dealers and suppliers all have said never known so many Motorhome dealers going bust. With the new charges coming along for next year has the Motorhome bubble gone . Your thoughts

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Well I suppose lots of others have gone bust— Toys R Us, Maplins, HMV, Woolworths, BHS, Bathstore, Office outlet etc etc but we’re all still buying toys, clothes, music, staplers and bits of tat. Shopping is different to how it was years ago, though.
It’s possible that the next generation of retirees ( or the one after that) buying motor homes won’t have houses they own to downsize or remortgage.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhome dealers and campsite owners are pricing themselves out of business, with all the cheap holidays abroad , younger people are not going to fork out 10s of thousands of pounds to sit in a rainy field at a greater cost than they can b&b in the sun.
Most older people have done it for years and it's a way of life, certainly not cheap holidays and this older generation have give up I think there will be a swift decline in motorhomes.
Only my take on it, others probably disagree.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Most older people have done it for years and it's a way of life, certainly not cheap holidays and this older generation have give up I think there will be a swift decline in motorhomes.

Excellent, less hassle wilding it then ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
.....and too many motorhome shows.....

NC500 pictures look like hell at the moment with vans rammed in everywhere. I know a picture doesn’t tell the whole story but it certainly shows a certain amount of overcrowding.
It truly is horrendous up there I go early in season and thinking of going up when I get back from Scandinavia

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Well I suppose lots of others have gone bust— Toys R Us, Maplins, HMV, Woolworths, BHS, Bathstore, Office outlet etc etc but we’re all still buying toys, clothes, music, staplers and bits of tat. Shopping is different to how it was years ago, though.
It’s possible that the next generation of retirees ( or the one after that) buying motor homes won’t have houses they own to downsize or remortgage.
Woolworths closed? When did that happen, must have slept through that one....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Motorhomes are more popular than ever before and it's extremely rare for well-managed motorhome companies to go bust. Do we want the poorly managed ones to survive?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Motorhome dealers and campsite owners are pricing themselves out of business, with all the cheap holidays abroad , younger people are not going to fork out 10s of thousands of pounds to sit in a rainy field at a greater cost than they can b&b in the sun.
I was having the same conversation with my son as we sat supping beers one evening on a site in the Cotswolds last weekend. We agreed, looking around at the posh/expensive m/homes, cars and caravans that it evidently wasn't the way to have cheap holidays or weekends.
I'm retired and cost doesn't appear on my list of reasons for having a m/h. I move on every couple of days throughout the summer. My DIL has a spinal problem so needs a bed tailored to her needs. They both work and tend to remain static for their 3 weeks annual holiday abroad and they have a dog so they chose a caravan. But not because it's cheap.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And we are to blame! It will be interesting to see what happens when getting diesel becomes a problem.
like the east EU truckers bigger tanks so we don't have to buy in UK or France.
Yes but only with cones.
If I decided I need to stop I’d just push the cones out of the way.

I’m not a lay-by sleeper anyway ?
All I do if needed.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The margins make it appear like a licence to print money. I got the impression that in 2017 dealers could sell overpriced used anything that had 4 wheels and a bed and manufacturers' order books were full. This year, some may be still trying to shift 2018 models despite discounting heavily.

Looking further back, Discover Leisure which was a big business called in the Administrators right in the middle of the 2011 NEC show. One day it was all bright lights and special show offers, next day their stand was closed. I was there and remember it well.

Our nearest Adria dealer, the Family Travel Centre, opened in 2011 but closed its doors in January 2018. Nice people but for some reason we don't know they went bust.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
In a way, I hope it does get a bit tougher
To survive, and the good ones will, the “offer” ( not necessarily the price) will have to get better as the fish in the pond become fewer

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No, but from posts on Fun over the years many seem to be surviving nevertheless.

Maybe but. People are quick to complain, especially on the internet. We encourage open and honest reviews here, good and bad But our review section seems to have at least four positive dealer reviews to every bad one

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Maybe but. People are quick to complain, especially on the internet. We encourage open and honest reviews here, good and bad But our review section seems to have at least four positive dealer reviews to every bad one
I've only posted one review (positive) but then I've only used one dealer and until I joined Fun I had no idea that there were any seriously bad dealers - especially suppliers of new m/h's. It was quite an eye-opener for me.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Bubble burst eh?

Shall we look at the bigger picture for a second:

There are huge ongoing geo-political and financial tensions in the world today which will most likely deteriorate further. The UK pension bubble has dried up; Europe is financially knackered and a brake pedal has been temporarily applied to the UK's ecomony resulting in a slightly pessimistic outlook for high ticket item sales.

The white elephant in the motorhome room is that the converters have greedily continued to maintain high volumes of unit production which followed on from their record sales years of 2016 and 17 and, subsequently, the dealers have been forced, some happily though, to buy huge volumes of stock (with its associated debt liability attached), at a time when everything is going South.

..........you then add the challenge of the 6D VED tax and the growing problem of poor quality manufacturing by some converters and the future soon becomes quite grave for the MoHo industry in the UK.

Some dealers have had a good recent run of things and profits have been very healthy but I would not like to be a motorhome dealer right now.

Time for the reset button to be pressed.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Quite so. I heard yesterday that investment by the auto industry has dropped from £2.4 billion in the 12 months 2016/17 to £80 million this past 12 months - most of it apparently spent on precautionary actions in the event of that of which name we cannot speak.
..........you then add the challenge of the 6D VED tax and the growing problem of poor quality manufacturing by some converters and the future soon becomes quite grave for the MoHo industry in the UK.
What's the justification for such a substantial hike in VED for the latest low pollution engine/vehicle?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Expensive new ones means the secondhand market will be more buoyant especially for good models that are well cared for. I hope so for when my executor need to sell it. I intend to get my use out of it though first.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Do you think dealers do enough?
You part with £40k plus and I know that the dealer doesn’t get all of that but it’s still a fair amount of cash if you compare it with a car garage sale, and what do they offer the client?
Fair enough, there’ll be some dealers that will do everything for their clients but most seem to not give a toss after the sale.
Spare parts? - take bloody ages to arrive from Europe.
How come my eBay parcel from China arrives within a week but a part from Germany takes 5 weeks through a dealer?
Why can’t a manufacturer appointed dealer accept warranty work on a van they’ve not sold even though they’re an appointed dealer for that manufacturer?
It’s a quick buck industry in my view and it needs a bloody great rocket up its arse to realise it needs to drastically change. If that means more going bust for some thicko dealer principal to take a look at themselves then good in my view.
We pay a lot of money for our purchase and should expect better in service and after sales in my personal view.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back