Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well, we tried it and although it has some advantages, I don't think we'll bother again. We arrived in Bilbao exhausted, with defrosted freezer and van covered in sea salt. Although beds are provided in the cabins, I challenge anyone to actually sleep in one without 6 pints of Kronenburg (@£4.10 a pop :eek:)
breakfast is £9.05 each

Anyway at least we tried it :rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
As opposed to a long drive down through France and a cross-channel ferry or chunnel?

Each to his own but if the costs are sensible then the ferry for me anytime.

I do agree about the salt encrusted MH though. I think there is an enclosed ferry available though.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yeah I always like to include a nice stop in France if possible, and the tunnel with Tesco points is free. Also I like the beer at Calais :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We use the ferry every year to Spain and we both sleep like a baby.

Unless the damn thing is bouncing up and down. Then I don't at all. I am not a great sailor.

But agree about the salt, our van was white with it last year and we were under cover. About the 2nd or 3rd van down from the open deck.

Mind the howling gales and snow storms washed it all off as we went south. :D

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I would rather sleep than drive if just getting to Spain....I have no problem sleeping on board

Driving through France is tiring and expensive

If you join Club Voyage you get 30% off your fare and full breakfast is £2.10p

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our beds were resonating or shaking more than going up and down, I like the ups and downs.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I enjoy the mini cruise and certainly don't miss the long drive through France especially as I travel solo.
I said that to Ann "it will be a mini cruise"
It couldn't be further from the truth (in our case) it's like going to prison for a day :ROFLMAO:

We could have been better prepared though. If there's a next time we'll take more food on board and something to read or do.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
It couldn't be further from the truth (in our case) it's like going to prison for a day :ROFLMAO:

We could have been better prepared though. If there's a next time we'll take more food on board and something to read or do.

I always take kettle, tea bags etc, a book plus phone or laptop with chargers to use the WIFI

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and van covered in sea salt.

It's a disgrace and they are quite happy to let you leave the boat with windows you can't see through.

Worse, the spokes on my bike are now all furry.

I guess it's just what you get for going on the el cheapo peasants boat.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
It's a disgrace and they are quite happy to let you leave the boat with windows you can't see through.
Worse, the spokes on my bike are now all furry.
I guess it's just what you get for going on the el cheapo peasants boat.

I've been on el cheapo because it was the only one with space - I liked it - would book again if it fitted in with plans(y)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I enjoy the mini cruise and certainly don't miss the long drive through France especially as I travel solo.
I'd better qualify that I didn't travel on the "cheap" ship and my van was fully enclosed below decks - fortunately - during a Force 7 breeze! It was a bit rough I must admit!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I'd better qualify that I didn't travel on the "cheap" ship and my van was fully enclosed below decks - fortunately - during a Force 7 breeze! It was a bit rough I must admit!

We have done a force 7 crossing and for quite a long time I wish I had driven through France and paid the tolls :sick::sick:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Always use the Pont Aven and book a club class cabin so get the kettle, tea and coffee and also a tv. Did pay extra for the cabin WiFi last year but this year it was too expensive.

We did the Club class on the Cap Finistere, what a mistake. :sick:

The club class is at the very front of the boat and boy did it go up and down. It even seemed to bounce up and down on the solent.

We had a return booked on the Cap club class. Cancelled it and joined the normal ie: not ill people. :D

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We did the Club class on the Cap Finistere, what a mistake. :sick:

The club class is at the very front of the boat and boy did it go up and down. It even seemed to bounce up and down on the solent.

We had a return booked on the Cap club class. Cancelled it and joined the normal ie: not ill people. :D
That’s different to the ones on the Pont Aven which are the normal outside 4 berth cabins but with the teapot and tv popped in and only cost around £8 more than the normal one.
As I always book online you can see which cabin you have been allocated and if I don’t like where it is when I look at the ships deck plan I phone in and change it. Most of the time they have been low down on deck 5 and somewhere in the middle which is ideal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well, we tried it and although it has some advantages, I don't think we'll bother again. We arrived in Bilbao exhausted, with defrosted freezer and van covered in sea salt. Although beds are provided in the cabins, I challenge anyone to actually sleep in one without 6 pints of Kronenburg (@£4.10 a pop :eek:)
breakfast is £9.05 each

Anyway at least we tried it :rolleyes:

We keep thinking about trying it, don't think I'll bother now, you have put me right off.

Did pay extra for the cabin WiFi last year but this year it was too expensive.
Pay for wifi at the prices they charge for a crossing, even on DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe it's free.

Always use the Pont Aven and book a club class cabin so get the kettle, tea and coffee and also a tv.
Every time I've looked at a crossing the Pont Aven is always out of service, I think it must be a ghost ship.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
We keep thinking about trying it, don't think I'll bother now, you have put me right off.
Pay for wifi at the prices they charge for a crossing, even on DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe it's free.
Every time I've looked at a crossing the Pont Aven is always out of service, I think it must be a ghost ship.

WIFI is free in the public areas

I've used Cap Finistere, Pont Aven and Baie de Seine (the cheapy) always found prices reasonable and staff friendly...I just book the dates I need regardless of ship

If you expect a 'cruise' that's what you get - boredom and food - just don't expect to see much....apart from the sea

Take a book or your laptop

If you do want to book a ferry don't leave it until the last minute.....they get booked early - and join their Club Voyage....

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
WIFI is free in the public areas

I've used Cap Finistere, Pont Aven and Baie de Seine (the cheapy) always found prices reasonable and staff friendly...I just book the dates I need regardless of ship

If you expect a 'cruise' that's what you get - boredom and food - just don't expect to see much....apart from the sea

Take a book or your laptop

If you do want to book a ferry don't leave it until the last minute.....they get booked early - and join their Club Voyage....
How much does it cost to join club voyage?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The first year its £100 plus the £120 yearly fee.

Not checked but I think you're right - I still saved more on my first trip(y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
How much does it cost to join club voyage?

If you are just going to do one trip - it is probably better to ask on here for a discount code.

If you do a few over some years then it is better to join.

The first years "joining fee" of around £100 eats into any discount you are going to get on one trip. (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Some people on here of course flaunt their membership and have a list of friends a mile long and probably get most of the fee back, not me though.:)

Don't know how they can be so quick - do they sit and wait?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We came back on the Baie de Seine a few weeks ago. It was very rough. We had an outside cabin that gave us a nice view of the sunset... except when it went dark about every 20 seconds from the wave thundering against it. When we went to disembark and went back to our van on the rear open deck, there was a pile of broken plastic. All the motorhomes and caravans on the port side edge had their hab windows smashed in from the waves. The crew had boarded them all up. Must be a fairly regular thing?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We came back on the Baie de Seine a few weeks ago. It was very rough. We had an outside cabin that gave us a nice view of the sunset... except when it went dark about every 20 seconds from the wave thundering against it. When we went to disembark and went back to our van on the rear open deck, there was a pile of broken plastic. All the motorhomes and caravans on the port side edge had their hab windows smashed in from the waves. The crew had boarded them all up. Must be a fairly regular thing?
I have two rules for booking the ferry.
1. Biggest boat
2 Shortest crossing.
That’s why it’s always the Pont Aven from Plymouth to Santander.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Wow! When we were reversing off that bit of the ship I saw what looked like a habitation window on the floor! I said to Ann, looks like someone left their roof up. Maybe not. Shocking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back