Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
D8F46270-132A-4DF6-B3AA-255648808F02.jpeg
Well parked up on our first Aire , I am not so sure I think I am a campsite man at heart lol . It’s very quite but I can’t just get my head round the concept of parking up on waste ground not knocking it or anyone but I guess it’s just me . By the way we are at fresnay sur Sarthe .

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Don't judge yet. All are different, some are actually on old campsites, some in wonderful locations and some just a convenient place to stop.

I like the circus tent, we once stayed at one and had lions in cages the back of us. Grandkids thought it was hilarious.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I think I will go to twin lakes caravan site tomorrow it’s about 5 hours away we have done about 7 hours today, as we have plenty of time I will cut it down to 5 hours (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 278174 Well parked up on our first Aire , I am not so sure I think I am a campsite man at heart lol . It’s very quite but I can’t just get my head round the concept of parking up on waste ground not knocking it or anyone but I guess it’s just me . By the way we are at fresnay sur Sarthe .

Persevere.

There are many beautiful Aires - next to lakes, rivers, canals, coast, mountains.

Not all are waste ground. Some have full service point facilities. Some are nicely laid out with bushes and trees.

I do not know what research tools you have. Most people seem to be moving away from books to Apps. Apps can be used online, usually free, if you have the data allowance. They can be downloaded for off-line use, but usually for a fee but for all the ones I am going to list below the fees for all will probably be less the 'All the Aires' 2 books for France.

This list gives access to Aires, wildcamping spots and some of them to commercial and Municipal Campsites.

campingcar infos (In French but easily understood info)

campercontact (Dutch with English version)

park4night(English)

searchforsites.

We used to use mainly No. 1 but more recently have had more use out of park4night but we are happy to either use Aires or wildcamping spots of which that one has many.

I suggest that when you are parked with WiFi access you spend a wet afternoon playing around with them all. Some have basic information only on some places, but others have good photos of the sites and views.

You will be surprised what a variety there is and how beautiful some are - we have a few favourite, one of which is a green parking area next to a quiet river which could accomodate 40 units, but when we have been there no more than 3-4 well spread out.

Don't give up on the basis of one Aire.

Geoff

Jun 30, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
March 16
We stayed on that aire last year, as you say feels like a bit of waste ground (felt safe enough)..... it's one to be used as an overnight stop, sleep & fill/empty water etc, not a holiday destination.
Many more nice ones around for a longer stay.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Hi Howard,

Google camping-car-panoramique.fr

It will give you details of the aire but also should show a 360degree camera shot of what to expect.

Kev

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Aire at Palencia is really good. Nice and safe with free leccy, shower, shops nearby.
Kev.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I think I will go to twin lakes caravan site tomorrow it’s about 5 hours away we have done about 7 hours today, as we have plenty of time I will cut it down to 5 hours (y)
Didn’t the guy who owns twin lakes once work for RJ BUDGE??

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
H
View attachment 278174 Well parked up on our first Aire , I am not so sure I think I am a campsite man at heart lol . It’s very quite but I can’t just get my head round the concept of parking up on waste ground not knocking it or anyone but I guess it’s just me . By the way we are at fresnay sur Sarthe .
Have you joined the gilets jaunes???:LOL::LOL:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Twin Lakes Aire (the field) is open but the campsite isn't as far as know the electric is off I know hte water will be off except in the Shower/toilet near the bar

We have found almost every aire we have visited has been different - some are tarmac some are grass some are in supermarche car parks some are specially built some are just a spare bit of land
the one we liked the most so far has been Saint George De Didonne being on the beach

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Not sure Westy, who is r j budge ?
He had a few opencast coal sites then he took over the Collieries from British Coal, based his HQ just up the road from us(y)

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
1. The aire in Palencia is Area de Autocaravanas Suances.
Sitecode 62523 on CamperContact.

2. How did the thread get on to some unknown bloke called RJ Budgie or what ever?

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Silly me I should have known :LOL:
Ha ha not sure but now I know who he is ;) that @WESTY66 is funny bloke he’s from Yorkshire :)
That explains a lot.
Despite Mr Budgie and his views on French Aires please do not give up on them. We were a bit dubious at first but once we settled in to this motorhoming lark we really do enjoy them and have stayed in some cracking places.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin wasn't at all keen on the Aire idea but is now a convert :)

An overnight stop in a convenient place for very little money (or free) - you don't really need much just for an overnight stay you can't lose.

One place we stopped as an overnighter was so lovely we stayed longer and we're thinking about going back :)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
2. How did the thread get on to some unknown bloke called RJ Budgie or what ever?

Read the whole thread!!

My friend Howard H said he was going to twin lakes, and a colleague where I work said the guy who owns twin lakes used to work for RJ Budge, so I asked the question to confirm if it was the same guy (whom I think is English as I have never been to twin lakes)
Is that a problem ??

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Martin wasn't at all keen on the Aire idea but is now a convert :)

An overnight stop in a convenient place for very little money (or free) - you don't really need much just for an overnight stay you can't lose.

One place we stopped as an overnighter was so lovely we stayed longer and we're thinking about going back :)

You are absolutely right. Sometimes they are convenient for one night, but others are so special they deserve an extra couple of nights. We never out stay our welcome, if its busy then we just move on to the next surprise.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Read the whole thread!!

My friend Howard H said he was going to twin lakes, and a colleague where I work said the guy who owns twin lakes used to work for RJ Budge, so I asked the question to confirm if it was the same guy (whom I think is English as I have never been to twin lakes)
Is that a problem ??
Sorry, started to glaze over and moved on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back