I amthinking, electric car??? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

What exactly is the problem with the battery itself? You state this is the problem but don't elucidate as to what you think the problem is.

On the second hand market issue. The batteries are falling in price rapidly and once there are enough EV's on the road there will be companies set up to recondition and offer replacement batteries. The market for second hand EV batteries is already HUGE so even if you buy a second hand EV with a reduced range battery you are likely to be able to sell the old battery for a significant proportion of the cost of a new one.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
On the Tesla if you have A Battery cell fault , they are small so the guy said and replaceable

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The batteries have a long life it is the leasing of the damn things from Renault , looks like it breaks down at the same as fuel in a diesel car but the charges go on regardless. It is a variable contract in that you choose you mileage and if you need to use some up for a reason the contract stops and the fees run on with the car there or you pay and on top charge of 8p per mile plus the hire fee to stop you doing it. I love the car but having the equivalent of a gallon and a half tank , on a good trip is too restrictive for most. In London they would be fantastic if you had a parking place off road, elsewhere too restrictive for most people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I change mine in 6 months, I am thinking stick with my dirty diesel Audi A6 or bite the bullet and get the Tesla.

but not sure of it's life span....

Also looked at the Hyundai. massive difference.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I change mine in 6 months, I am thinking stick with my dirty diesel Audi A6 or bite the bullet and get the Tesla.

@haganap
As part of one of my roles within my job, currently long-term testing a Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid
Based in Cheshire
PM me if you want more info
Regards

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Tesla has an 8 year battery warranty and have the lowest degradation in the industry. Best way to extend battery life is not to do use the super chargers too often and to try not to do the 100% boost charge too often. Go to https://teslanomics.co/tesla-batteries-last-forever-basically/ and check this out.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
@airwave
Watch this space regarding electric trucks
Volvo will have a useable 18 tonner within 3 years and already has all electric bin wagons trialling in Germany

We also have all electric (volvo) buses operating in Manchester now

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Buy a new Suzuki Alto for £5995, give it away after a year and buy a new one, every year for 4 years , still costs less than a Renault Zoe. Both shopping cars .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Buy a new Suzuki Alto for £5995, give it away after a year and buy a new one, every year for 4 years , still costs less than a Renault Zoe. Both shopping cars .

That’s a shocking truth isn’t it?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
And one which all the 'buy electric' people seem to miss

£28K for a Zoe ... i can buy an E63 AMG Mercedes with full service history, for that with 50k miles on it.

Those Zoe's have lost £10k a year at that price, so in theory, Renault could PAY you 75p a mile , for 10,0000 miles each year , and you would still be £5k out of pocket after 2 years.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Neighbour just bought his third Prius, totally ignores the depreciation and thinks it costs him nothing to run , because he rarely has to go to the garage.. the again, he plays golf, so its no surprise.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

As a kid I remember using the electric buses in Manchester. Trolley buses.
I remember the clanking trams in Stockport.

Plus ca change.

And I remember just driving into Manchester and parking. Just like that, pull up at kerb, get out, walk.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

And a cleverly disguised truth. Use electric, save the planet, but in reality, the tiny mileages these electric cars will do means a modern petrol one will be no worse for the planet.

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you run a "dirty diesel " on average mileage you can drive it for 12 1/2 years before you will equal the pollutants created to produce the car in the first place, at the moment the pollution from electric cars is even higher.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
As the UK Dutch were incentivised to invest in electric cars with no car tax and some cash-backs. After several years they have changed the car tax criteria from being emissions related to weight related which is of course now an issue for those with heavy but small electric cars.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
@airwave
Watch this space regarding electric trucks
Volvo will have a useable 18 tonner within 3 years and already has all electric bin wagons trialling in Germany

They had trolley buses in the 40's but the cables were the problem dynamic charging in the road would work there high input charging using induction loops, to boost the batteries, at every set bus stop.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As a kid I remember using the electric buses in Manchester. Trolley buses.
I remember the clanking trams in Stockport.

Plus ca change.

And I remember just driving into Manchester and parking. Just like that, pull up at kerb, get out, walk.
Then came meters taking "tanners"---------now they take tenners !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Neighbour just bought his third Prius, totally ignores the depreciation and thinks it costs him nothing to run , because he rarely has to go to the garage.. the again, he plays golf, so its no surprise.
Fascinates me the cab drivers using them here & then they pass you on the mway at 140kph.:LOL: All these hybrids only work if you drive like you are on the Mobil economy run . Drive normally & a Prius will barely achieve 25mpg

As the UK Dutch were incentivised to invest in electric cars with no car tax and some cash-backs. After several years they have changed the car tax criteria from being emissions related to weight related which is of course now an issue for those with heavy but small electric cars.

It is called "rope a dope". Offer "incentives" then when you have the majority the price has to rise to keep the shareholders/government/tax man happy-
Water meters was another scam.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Fascinates me the cab drivers using them here & then they pass you on the mway at 140kph.:LOL: All these hybrids only work if you drive like you are on the Mobil economy run . Drive normally & a Prius will barely achieve 25mpg

As I posted elsewhere and for INFO, we are field testing a Hyundai Ioniq Plug in Hybrid Petrol 1.6

Driven in full Hybrid on a "Mobil Eco Run" as Gus describes car can do a genuine 85mpg
Driven in full Hybrid- "like you stole it"- 60-66mpg

Interestingly, we did a ten day, all routes, all styles test where we deliberately didn't charge it and it returned a genuine 49mpg

All calcs based on brim2brim filling and not the on-boards

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Given that we are being encouraged to go electric by way of subsidies and government advice, I have just bought a new oil burner, I won’t fall for that trick twice.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
How is the range and recharge times coming along? I live in Yorkshire and travel to my sons in Chamonix a couple times of year. Is this doable without a couple of overnight recharges yet. This is a genuine question. As the extra cost of buying an EV plus the extra time and cost of staying overnight eats into the supposed cheaper running costs.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
How is the range and recharge times coming along? I live in Yorkshire and travel to my sons in Chamonix a couple times of year. Is this doable without a couple of overnight recharges yet. This is a genuine question. As the extra cost of buying an EV plus the extra time and cost of staying overnight eats into the supposed cheaper running costs.

This is the issue for most folk. You have to plan your journey around where you can charge your car, otherwise you don't get there. And even if there is a charge point, what if you cant get on it ? or its broken. I think the term is called 'range anxiety'.. the fear that you wont get to where you need to get , with what charge you have. That alone is enough to make me want to never bother.

Just like petrol and diesel cars , with fuel economy figures, quoted ranges are always optimistic.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Which is why I think in the short-term, plug-in HYBRID (PHEV) is the tech for now, and indeed the next 10 years
ZERO range anxiety but fantastic on short runs around town ( which I believe most but not all journeys are

The Hyundai takes 3 hours on a standard 3 pin uk plug ( and would be even quicker on a 16 amp campsite(y))

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
29 real world miles- but the hybrid element is so good that in hybrid mode you can do a few hundred miles between charges

Sorry I can't get enthusiastic about all the massive complexity, sort of the worst of both worlds, for 29 miles of cheap motoring. It can't be justifiable economically.

I can see more sense in an electric car with built in petrol/diesel charger, now that blends the best of both worlds. Don't BMW do this ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back